PDA

View Full Version : 'Ring trip September 25/26/27

Steven
29-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Not sure if anybody reads these still, so I'll keep it brief.

Stayed at the Burgstube - thanks to Martin and Simon for the ususal quality of hospitality.

Arrived on the Friday, at 15:00hrs. The girlfriend, Alex, wanted to learn how to change a wheel, so I had her change all 4 road wheels to my track wheels. Good stuff! This was met with universal enjoyment from those who were looking on.

Went out and did 3 laps in succession. It's been 10 whole years since I drove the Ring, so I was a little rusty, and a little ragged. Thoroughly enjoyable however! Rest of the evening was in the Burgstube relaxing after the long slog across Europe and the susequent 3 laps. Beer and chicken schnitzels all round.

Saturday AM - mist. Waited until 10am ish when the track opened and Alex did her first ever lap (well she did 2 in succession). Was very impressed with how she drove! Very committed in places, which left me smiling and shaking my head at the same time. She was absolutley buzzing for the next 36hrs, which was both fun and exhausting for me....

Another 6 or so laps myself during the day, then I had some blasted brake judder, which later turned out to be bolloxed bearings. Frustrating as both front bearings were brand new and came with the Brembo HC discs. So if anyone has any suggestions regarding uprating Clio front bearings then please do let me know!

Sunday, still thinking the judder was the brakes, I did a few more laps, but much steadier and smoother as the judder affected things. Still immensely enjoyable. Alex also did one more, and was again hyper all evening as a result.

Watched a few sections (Brunchen, obviously), pflangzgarten, Adenau and over the top of the main bridge.

Alex loved every second of it. As for me, it's been a decade. I've changed a lot, grown up really, and can honestly say the place is as exciting now, if not more so, than it was in 2005.

Got home safely. No prangs or mechanicals, except buggered front bearings and a failed front indicator bulb.

Roll on 2016.

Floyd
29-09-2015, 11:56 AM
GF who changes wheels and drives the Ring? That's a keeper!:thumb:

Steven
29-09-2015, 12:00 PM
gf who changes wheels and drives the ring? That's a keeper!:thumb:

fact

Simon
29-09-2015, 12:02 PM
Steven, sounds like you & Alex had a great time :thumb:

Oh & cheers for posting, we do read & enjoy them.

TDIfurby
29-09-2015, 12:25 PM
It's good to hear of a weekend where it (seems) there were no major incidents involving other cars and lengthy closure periods.

Steven
29-09-2015, 12:33 PM
A few closures as ever, but experience has taught me to simply accept them and basically go and do something else for an hour or two. Alex was in sensory overload all weekend (big Ferrari fan and there were lots there this weekend) so she was beaming solidly for 4 days.

Keep touristenfahrten sensible, respect the place and it's a great way to spend a long weekend.

Back in the UK. Bored...

Peach-uk
29-09-2015, 12:36 PM
Great to hear you enjoyed it and kept it safe! :thumb:

RichW
29-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Thanks for sharing :thumb:

JamesW
30-09-2015, 07:49 AM
:thumb::thumb:

Awesomeness. More people need to go!