PDA

View Full Version : RingTR`s Trip to Cadwell on the 20th June in TR6

Nige
21-06-2007, 07:42 AM
Iain posted this in the Cadwell thread, but I thought it worth sharing here :thumb:

Won't be able to make it in November but was there all day yesterday :D :D :D Pissed it down like it was going out of fashion on Monday but glorious sunshine all day Tuesday. Managed to do 147 miles on track during the day and the car was faultless. Not a drop of oil or water used and I was driving hard enough to be in excess of a ton by the time I had to hit the brakes at the end of the start finish straight and carrying close to 90MPH through Craner. It was even almost economical at just a smidge over 13 MPG. I can manage to get my Audi down to 25 round Cadwell.

The day itself was brilliant, open pitlane and only 35 cars. Most of the guys there were in competition cars and the standard of driving was excellent. I think the performance of the TR surprised quite a few of them. Obviously I couldn't live with the race prepped 2ltr Zetec engined Caterfields down the straights but didn't hold anybody up from the Mountain through to Barn and got several comments about how well the TR was handling through the woodland section. Which not only made me well chuffed but was a real compliment to the way the guys had set the car up for me. I did wonder whether once I got on a circuit with the car it would be a little soft as the ride was so good on the road but not a bit of it. I didn't feel the need to touch anything on the shocks at all.

The two best moments of the day were when I'd asked the ARDS instructor to drive the TR for me on a couple of laps of my session with him so I could see where his lines were and got the comment 'I'd love to just do this for the rest of the day' and later on when a couple of guys with a touring car spec Golf came up to me and said we wish there was a prize for the most wonderful noise of the day cresting the Mountain coz we'd give it to you.

I need to say thank you to the very nice men doing the noise testing as well. Having driven up to get tested and proudly announced to them that the car now redlined at 6.5K and been asked to hold a steady 5K which meant I failed the test miserably. The bloke told his mate with the meter that I'd made a mistake and that really it only went to five and a half and a steady 4K got me through. What a very very nice man :D

Prepare for lift off, full chat in second, F**k I love the Mountain!!!!!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1231/577674005_5f93b91af9_b.jpg

Coming into the Mountain.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1392/577673991_a26eb74948_b.jpg

Some of the opposition.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1144/577702849_deb9a99d22_b.jpg

Did I mention I loved the Mountain?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1367/577674043_c368107e04_b.jpg

The sad part is that I have to go back to Nigeria on Friday morning and wont get a chance to play again until August

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Hope it's nice tomorrow so I get out for just one more 3hr trip to 'just nipping out pick up the paper' honest love :whistle: Oh and those Dunlop D84's are superb I was well pleased with them, stuck like the proverbial to a blanket.

Iain.

Duncan
21-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Great report although I think you were a little off track if you went through Craner - think you mean Coppice :D

Neil Mac
21-06-2007, 08:24 AM
That looks great. The TR6 does sound fantastic too. Straight sixtastic, in fact.

Floyd
21-06-2007, 08:30 AM
I'd have loved to be there too :( It's a great circuit :thumb: Good pictures too B)

F

ringTR
21-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Great report although I think you were a little off track if you went through Craner - think you mean Coppice biggrin.gif

Told you it was fast, so fast in fact that by the end of the straight I was on another circuit... Glad to see you were paying attention. Iain.

Duncan
21-06-2007, 08:40 AM
That corner is a true test of gonad size IMO - you can carry an unbelieveable amount of speed into it holding it tight to the left ready for Charlies 1.

I have never been on a track in an open top car (apart from single seater at silverstone) - it must be amazing and the TR is always a fave for someone of my age :D

ringTR
21-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Jun 21 2007, 08:30 AM
I'd have loved to be there too :( It's a great circuit :thumb: Good pictures too B)

F
Pictures were courtesy of my girlfriend Annie who had never even held an SLR before. So a definite result.

The cars now locked up in the garage and I shan't see it again until August :(

It's back to dodging the lunatics on the potholed roads of Port Harcourt in the Landcruiser next week while cursing my driver for being a blind clueless idiot. I'll still be smiling away though thinking of Tuesday and especially launching the car over the top of the Mountain.

Oh and they have finally sorted out the horrible bump that was on the racing line over the crest, still a good idea to have the car straightened up before the top though.

Iain.

Duncan
21-06-2007, 07:38 PM
i saw they were resurfacing the mountain - is that what they have done ?

GVK
21-06-2007, 07:56 PM
Great report, I love Cadwell :thumb: Used to live only 45 miles away... now MUCH further :(

Yep, TR6s sound fantastic!

GVK
21-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by ringTR@Jun 21 2007, 07:06 PM
Oh and they have finally sorted out the horrible bump that was on the racing line over the crest, still a good idea to have the car straightened up before the top though.

Iain.
Boooo - I wish they wouldn't mess about with Cadwell, cut the grass and clean the toilets yeah.... but leave the track alone!! :angry: