PDA

View Full Version : Daves Report 19->22nd May

Dave G
23-05-2007, 08:43 PM
Finishing off the Civic was left until the last minute this trip…….just like normal then. :rolleyes:

I finally got the new gearbox the Sunday before we left, the suspension was back and ready to go, the new driveshafts (uprated) were ready to be fitted, and abused. A few other bits, including bottom balljoints were fitted. I bought some cheap and nasty ones which were knackered from the last trip (23 laps).

The new gearbox had an LSD fitted, so I was eager to try that out. :D

Ferry was booked for 6am, from Dover to Dunquerke. This meant leaving home at 2am to get to Maidstone services for 4am. One of the guys in the gang had car trouble, already. The 3.5 E30 had lost a nut off its’ ignition coil and wouldn’t run. It was bodged up and then repaired once we all met up.

Arrived nice and early for the ferry, and headed for the VIP lounge. Had a sit around, bit of a kip and lots of free food and drink! B)

Ferry arrived at 9am local time, we started making progress. Theo (with the 3.5 E30) goaded me into a straight line battle on a clear bit of road, 3rd to 4th his gear linkage snapped. He was stranded again! Managed to bodge it into staying in fourth, and luckily that thing had the power to pull the skin off of multiple rice puddings simultaneously! He made it about 230 miles, all in 4th. Round of applause. :thumb:

Arrived in Adenau, met with Eddy and he took the first group to the Guesthouse. I then had to drive back down the nasty bumpy road to meet the rest of the group and take them up there. The Vectra split an oil feed pipe to the turbo, serious smoke and a tow to the guesthouse, followed by a temporary repair saw the car driveable but it didn’t get on track all weekend due to worries about it happening again. A shame, but fair play.

The Guesthouse (which I’d been to before) was really nice, and a garage with a pit which turned out to be very useful was excellent. :butt:

Headed down to the track, after sorting a few car issues out with various people. A couple of people in the group hadn’t been before and were friends of an E30Zoner. One of the guys didn’t seem to like the way I was letting them get on with it, and seemed to think I was a tour rep rather than someone who just let them stay in the guesthouse I’d booked for the weekend. I would have been more helpful but I had my own issues and other peoples to sort. Moaning about where to go and where the keys were, and whether someone would give up their double room for the male and female couple on the trip. The answer was a resounding ‘No’ from everyone, I asked him to ask who he wanted, it wasn‘t my decision or responsibility to do so. This is a car weekend, not a romantic weekend away! ;) I won’t go into lots of detail about this one chap and his two compardres, but I was less than happy, and this put a dampener on my weekend for a while. I really thought ‘Why the f**k do I bother when I get so much grief?’. I salute you Darren, although you do get paid to take the stick! I'll only be booked trips in future for people who I know personally. It's a shame in a way, but it's not worth the hassle if people aren't willing to be patient.

Jumping briefly to the night before we left, I told the guys how much they owed for the hotel, and they next morning they had left at 06:30. That is all I’m going to say. The others on the trip formed their opinions also. I’m sorry to Marc (Zaust) because he is a top man, and didn’t expect his mate to be like this. Anyway……

Down at the entrance, bought an 8 lap ticket (now 124Euros!) and headed out for my first lap of the year. Taking it fairly easy, I felt that my lines were not all that great, but it was great to be back out there. Next lap, started moving a bit quicker……I accelerated hard out of a corner, LSD was awesome, and could smell oil burning, a bit of oil mist came into the car, I quickly put the hazards on and moved over to the right. I was able to roll to Breidsheid and thought ‘For F**K SAKE!’

Popping the bonnet, it looked like a bit of gearbox oil had weeped out from the speedo drive and onto the downpipe. Cruised back to the guesthouse to investigate further. Pulled out the offending item, and cleaned everything up with brake cleaner. Thinking the ‘O’ ring was to blame, I popped to Ring Racing in another car to get a replacement seal. Put it back in and took it for a drive, giving it some beans. Nothing leaked so I was a happy bunny.

Went down to Pinocchios to get some food later on, which was nice. I decided to stay off the beers this weekend, to keep a clear head for the track, and because (again the problem with being the organiser - although this wasn’t a major issue) I’d booked this place miles from town I felt obliged to drive.

The track was closed on Saturday morning, so we headed up to the Luge. Had a bit of fun and fed the baby goats!

I’ve got totally confused with what happened when, so I take no responsibility for the chronological accuracy of this report forthwith.

Managed to meet DanST briefly, and Stip…..sorry I didn’t get a chance to take you on that lap I promised. Next time for sure!! Also a crazy boiker called SuperRetard said hello, before proceeding to wheelie under the bridge! Hero! :thumb:

A few people had issues this weekend, brakes/prop bearings etc. Did a couple of fairly quick laps, but not pushing hard because I was still anxious about the gearbox oil. Checking under the bonnet and under the car for leaks often showed no signs of any oil. Took out a couple of different passengers who enjoyed the ride, except for one lap were my ECU light came on through miss-hit-miss limiting me to 3k RPM. I had used the emergency slip road before Quiddlebacher-Hohe and the breakdown people let me out of the gates. I felt that my luck wasn't in this weekend, so I wasn't going to aim for a high lap count.

It turned out that a wire connection had come out of my ECU plug, so with this cured so I went down (wasting more money!) and bought a 1.5 lap ticket at Breidsheid. Finished the lap and then did some passengering (brave!)

Went out with Oz in his 325i Sport, and Simon in his 325i Touring. Enjoyed myself, but was touching cloth at various points, because I really am a girl when it’s not me sawing at the wheel!

I then went for a lap with Karan in his ~300bhp Silvia. This car has some really good equipment and Karan himself is a bit of a tool. (In a good way! ;-)) I was really at ease, despite the fact it was a much quicker lap, avec drifting! I trust his driving as much as mine, if not more infact hence why I was calm.

Lots more spectating than normal ensued, a bit of time at Brünnchen and Breidshied watching the action.

After the track closed, headed to Adenau and had a Chinese at, well, the Chinese restaurant. The one near the Cheri Bar. The food was great, but the Cheri Bar was closed. Much to some peoples disappointment. :lol: <_<

On Monday, I had pretty much called it a day, still worrying about the gearbox oil issue, and a lap or two later now I had killed my front pads (and rears). Although I had spare fronts, my discs were starting to crack quite badly. I was happy to spend the last few hours of track time spectating at Brünnchen. A Lambo Gallardo was lapping fairly quickly, and sounded amazing&#33; Loads of other cool cars too&#33;

A while later Karan pulled up, saying that Oz had hit the Armco in his 325i. A heart-sinking moment. We headed back to the entrance, and sure enough a few minutes later, a mildly damaged 325i comes round the corner on the ADAC truck. :(

An expensive bill later (the recovery will be paid for, he was sensible enough to have ADAC cover) and the car was dropped in the opposite car park. We set about making it driveable back to camp by bending bits and bobs off the front wheel, and pulling the slam panel forward to get the viscous fan away from the rad.

Got it back to the Guesthouse and luckily, we had a BMW bodger, and BMW breaker, and a BMW Master Tech in the gang. The car was made roadworthy, and pretty close to being MoTable&#33;&#33; :thumb:

A few people decided to head off that night, to get home early the next day. We headed back to Pinocchios for our final meal of the trip. Jack (the waiter) said I could put a picture of my Civic on the wall. (He had seen me in it earlier that day&#33;). Ok so it’s not quite the PistonKlause but hey&#33; :lol: :ph43r: :D

Headed off aiming for the 4pm ferry with the damaged BMW in our group. We had a clear run, and made it back in time, without being charged for the alteration.

A smooth ride back, except for being told off for talking in the ‘relax lounge’ and we were nigh on home.

A great trip had by everyone (I think). Oz took it well, it was a real shame, he is a lovely chap and I hope he will get back in the saddle soon.

Until next time&#33;

Floyd
23-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Nice pictures :P

I find it hard to read anything with out pictures ;)

I&#39;m still reading...

F

Dave G
23-05-2007, 08:49 PM
:lol:

I know what you mean. I will make more of an effort to take pictures at certain important moments next time, I just took some random ones all over the place....hold tight.

Nige
23-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by davetouring@May 23 2007, 09:43 PM
Jumping briefly to the night before we left, I told the guys how much they owed for the hotel, and they next morning they had left at 06:30. That is all I’m going to say. The others on the trip formed their opinions also.
The rotten :censored: . What kind of a trick is that??? :angry: :angry:

Anyway, moving on... Glad you managed to get SOME laps after all your issues this year Dave :thumb: From teh photos i`ve seen, the civic looked to be moving rapidly :thumb: Photo on the wall, Nice one &#33; Bah, who`d want to be on the wall @ the PK anyway, there are too many photos, your`s will stand out more because there are less pictures on the walls :P

About time you managed to get a trip in this year, fingers crosed it wont be your last...

I`m hoping the lack of shakedown doesnt highlight similar problems for me this weekend too...

Dave G
23-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Dover calling....

http://photos-945.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/48/84/507305909/n507305909_92945_9520.jpg

Leading the BMW boys....

http://photos-950.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/48/84/507305909/n507305909_92950_703.jpg

Arrival....

http://photos-953.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/48/84/507305909/n507305909_92953_1425.jpg

BMW and Bitburger....Does it get any better?&#33;

http://photos-966.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/48/84/507305909/n507305909_92966_4598.jpg

This came up behind me at Wippermann, I let it past, and then chased him round for the remainder of the lap. A &#39;thumbs up&#39; moment after was cool. :thumb:

http://photos-991.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/48/84/507305909/n507305909_92991_1350.jpg

Ouch :(

http://photos-993.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v82/48/84/507305909/n507305909_92993_1866.jpg

Prime position on the return ferry&#33; :lol:

http://photos-011.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v72/48/84/507305909/n507305909_93011_1016.jpg

I found my Civics better looking, younger brother at Brünnchen&#33;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/davetouring/GermanCivicVT.jpg

Nige, I hope you don&#39;t have any issues. Mine to be fair weren&#39;t bad, but oil is obviously the enemy of the &#39;Ring, so I was simply being careful. It was a minor issue, relatively.

The brakes, well I should have taken spare discs.....The ECU wire, that&#39;s my passengers feet&#33;

I spent all my time on getting the car ready and should have thought more about other things, but hey ho. next time&#33; :thumb:

Nige
Originally posted by Floyd@May 23 2007, 09:45 PM
I find it hard to read anything with out pictures ;)

me too...

I`m hoping to do a report in photos this weekend :thumb: May need the odd bit of text, but i`ll take as many pics as possible.

Dave Malings
A few dramas, but as long as you had fun :thumb:

Dave G
23-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Cheers Dave, eventful as it was, I still had a great weekend.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, it&#39;s not primary school&#33; :ph43r: :lol: :P

Floyd
23-05-2007, 09:06 PM
The dirty rotten soanso :angry:

You could have started a new trend by getting pictures placed in other establishments :thumb:

F

Darren Langeveld
23-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Must be frustrating to sort everything out and then realise not everyone&#39;s on the same agenda as you.
If you then go on to have niggly problems that limit your own lappage I salute you back for remaining upbeat about the weekend&#33; :thumb:

Dave G
23-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Got to find the best one and get it framed first&#33;

Who&#39;ll be the first in the Cheri Bar :lol:

I was thinking about leaving my paint job as it is and getting the Cheri Bar logo on my bonnet, it even matches my paint scheme. (So I&#39;m told) :gay: :)

Dave G
23-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Mr Teflon@May 23 2007, 10:10 PM
Must be frustrating to sort everything out and then realise not everyone&#39;s on the same agenda as you.
If you then go on to have niggly problems that limit your own lappage I salute you back for remaining upbeat about the weekend&#33; :thumb:
Thanking you.

I just love being there. Even if I had to leave the car there and get a train back, I&#39;d still love it. :thumb:

Floyd
23-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Oh yes, there&#39;s a challenge - Cheri Bar :affection:

F

IanHowell
23-05-2007, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by davetouring+May 23 2007, 10:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (davetouring @ May 23 2007, 10:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mr Teflon@May 23 2007, 10:10 PM
Thanking you.

I just love being there. Even if I had to leave the car there and get a train back, I&#39;d still love it. :thumb: [/b][/quote]
The train is actually quite relaxing :P not that I want to repeat it again :(

And it didn&#39;t put me off, yet :blink:

Glad it kind of worked out for you, getting there and doing some laps but I would be mightily pi&#036;&#036;ed off with being let down by someone in a group like that :angry:

Ian

jon_r
23-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Dave, I know how you feel. Having organised a load of trips now its hard work and not everybody is always helpfull when your trying to have fun yourself. We&#39;ve stayed in that guesthouse twice now and its excellent for a large group (27 of us last time :blink: ) as you say the only downside is its a bit out of town for the evening meals.

I must admit a couple of us have come to the conclusion that we&#39;ll only ever invite people who we know don&#39;t moan and are trustworthy in future - it can really ruin a trip when people start hassling you when your just trying to help people. :angry:

Thanks for the report though, was a good read&#33;

Simon
24-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Dave, a good read & I am glad that you managed to enjoy the weekend even with your car problems & other people :angry: .

alclark
24-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Great read&#33;
As everyone else as already said, it only takes one lot of sour grapes to ruin a kebab. What?

I take it you&#39;ll be getting the money back for the people that scarperd?

Andrew
24-05-2007, 10:06 AM
That was nice to read Dave, although it sound&#39;s like you were hastled more than you deserved&#33;

Glad you got back ok though&#33;

Dave G
24-05-2007, 11:47 AM
I&#39;ll have to chase up the money, which is wrong in itself, but I&#39;ll get it. Was pleased to get back safely myself&#33; Thinking of doing a very quick trip this weekend&#33; :lol:

oguz325
24-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Well done to Dave for organising this trip, had an absolutely fantastic weekend.

Should be up for the next trip but maybe not in my own car :shame:

karan
24-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Cheers for organising the trip dave it was amazing&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; and thanks for the passenger lap too was great even though there were niggles&#33;

thanks again and cya monday

Karan

Theo325
24-05-2007, 12:33 PM
What a great trip that was, shame about those pricks who did a runner without paying - it did make me laugh when I heard they got arrested and fined 300+ euros in Belgium for speeding though. :jerk:

Was such a good weekend, even if I did have a single speed transmission on the drive down :blink:

Weeman
24-05-2007, 01:39 PM
what a set of tw@ts for leaving without paying :angry:

good report Dave, shame about the off and the problems though :(

Ryan W
24-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Was awesome Dave. Cheers for organizing the trip :thumb:

Can&#39;t wait for the next one :)

Stip
24-05-2007, 06:55 PM
Nice report Dave.
Next visit of you it will work with the PAX lap :) :thumb:

Stip

Dave G
24-05-2007, 06:56 PM
Ich hoffe&#33;

:thumb:

pye21
24-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Good report. I came to the conclusion a while ago about not organising things for people you don&#39;t know. They are never grateful and always take the piss&#33;&#33;&#33;

Dave G
24-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Very true.

I won&#39;t be doing it again. A bit of a shame, but we have a fairly large &#39;base group&#39; now. Enough to fill as many spaces as I&#39;m willing to arrange a trip for, so that&#39;ll do now.

I&#39;ll leave it to Darren. :whistle:

Gary Kinghorn
25-05-2007, 06:07 AM
Great stuff Dave, thanks for sharing.

Jim Cameron
25-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Well done for getting the Civic sorted in time mate - I know it was touch and go. Shame about the w*nkers, I hope they don&#39;t decide to come on any of the trips that I am arranging this summer&#33;

Simon13
25-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Dave don&#39;t let it get you too down, i did notice you were a little p&#33;ssed at the time.

Like you say there is a good group of us in our E30&#39;s to have good trips&#33; :gayfight:

I had an awsome time, best trip yet for me having been on the previous 3 trips with Dave as i&#39;ve finally nearly learnt the track after 45 odd laps now. Which for me makes it even more fun knowing whats coming&#33; I managed 20 laps which the car took with ease really apart from a very strange starter motor problem (which is now cured) Not bad for a 222,000 mile 325&#33;

It handled like a dream round there and i can&#39;t wait to go again (30 laps next time&#33;&#33;&#33;)

We need some pic&#39;s or more&#33;