PDA

View Full Version : Ring report 16/17 Oct

warrenm2
18-10-2005, 05:44 PM
Just a quickie to bring every one up to date on this weekend just gone.

I normally do Fri-Sun trips, but seeing as the ring is only open sun and mon these days I duly booked the ferry for 4.45 am on Sun morning! Just about got the required amount of sleep in then off to Dover. Ferry was empty of course, so I got another hours sleep in to keep me going for a long day.

Into France and then Belgium and time for the first fuel stop (my tank only holds 50 litres). Now I had decided to press on a bit and I knew that my car does about 20mpg on the motorway. What I like to do is arrive at the Aral at Blankenheim and fill up with 100 octane rocket fuel so a bit of mental calculation is required. However I have now discovered 2 things, 1) I cant do sums that early in the morning and 2) my car doesnt do 20mpg whilst "pressing on". Consequently just past Brussels Im thinking better add some more fuel here, which I did, and again half way down the E42 I thinking Im going to run out here. Not so quick detour into St Vith to try and find a petrol station open at the stately pace of 30mph to try and preserve the mere drops left in my tank. The plan to get up early and get to the ring early was disappearing quicker than the fuel from my tank.

Anyhoo, found a place filled up (well almost, still wanted to fit in some 100 octane!), and "pressed on" again, overtaking (unbeknownst to me) Jochim (of nurburgring.be fame) in the process. Arrive at Brens, quickly unloaded tools etc from car and off to the Ring!

Weather was sunny but cold, and it was surprisingly busy, cars parked up and down the road and the field round the back with 3 or 4 rows of cars, and some queueing down the straight to get off. Dave turned up about 3ish I think, having got his sticky tyres on the car.

I managed to leave my brain in the car park for my third lap and managed to go sideways and slightly off at AF, run wide at ex muhle onto the dirt, and narrowly miss taking home some gravel at Brunchen 2. I decided to have a quick rest in the car park after that!

Couldnt get a quick lap together at all that day, bikers seemed to be taking a very relaxed approach to using mirrors, and quite a few people not wanting to move over. Then at the bottom of Kesselchen went to overtake a slow 3 series. He was over to the right and I approached with about a 40-50mph speed differential with headlights on. I didnt think too much of it as he was just driving on the right slowly, letting people past, and was just another car to go past, until he swerved in front of me with no warning! Full on the AP 6 pots with ABS cutting in saw my bumper and his getting too close for comfort, but luckily I got down to his speed with about 5ft to spare :blink: I dont think he realised even then..... As I wasnt going to get a good fast lap in until everyone had gone, I gave Floyd a passenger lap. Off we went, throught the twisty H's onto Quiddelbach at a good rate of knots. A bit of traffic moving about 30-40mph slower than us all nicely lined up along the right. Some car ahead went sailing past them and I followed. Another 3 series decides that Im not there with my headlights on, and drastically cuts me up AGAIN! FFS! HARD on the brakes, Floyd hanging on for dear life and we just about hold it all together, matching his speed with about 3ft to spare this time! A few choice words as we went past and a wave of contrite apology from the driver. Luckily the rest of the lap and day went smoothly. Dinner that night with a few of the northloop crew (and Karl!) and back to Brens for 1am.

Late start the next day, and thankfully fewer people, however the crap riders and drivers hadnt left! A partularly annoying Italian Ducati rider just WOULD NOT GET OUT OF THE F%$@!ng WAY despite being on his tail for half the lap with headlights on and horn blaring. I was trying for some fast laps but kept getting blocked, resulting in 8.16 and 8.19s. Whilst in the car park got talking to a guy would had just given Clare a lap. Turns out he had major mechanical probs with his CRX. Bren mentioned that Achim (ringmini) broke a CRX for his car, and may have the parts. One quick phone call later and Achim was on his way, and I gave the guy a lift to the cash point. He was really appreciative of all the help and donated his ticket to me. Went out and manged to do a personal best 8.05! Was really pleased, that and another great dinner that evening really rounded off a good trip.

Root admin
18-10-2005, 07:23 PM
Glad you had fun Mark. Good report, but not enough about the dinner time conversations ;)

Clare

P.s. I corrected the spelling of my name ;)

warrenm2
18-10-2005, 08:02 PM
didnt want to be too "cliquey"! ;) anyway you probably have more to say than me....

Root admin
18-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Never... LOL

Floyd
18-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by warrenm2@Oct 18 2005, 05:44 PM
"pressing on".

and I gave the guy a lift to the cash point. He was really appreciative of all the help and donated his ticket to me.
What a coincidence Mark that we saw you on the motorway at the exit from the Chunnel; how strange is that!

What is also a coincidence is your quote "and I gave the guy a lift to the cash point. He was really appreciative of all the help and donated his ticket to me." - this is the same for me as I needed to find a cash point in Belgium and a nice Policeman helped me find it. I was so happy that I donated 175 Euros to him for helping me but that's the least I could do as I was also "pressing on" ...

Simon didn't need to, even though he was a car length or so behind when I first saw the policeman. Simon isn't as generous as me, of course.

F

Dave Malings
18-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Maybe you took the attention from Clare - she was doing 120 most of the time!

Dave :whistle:

Root admin
19-10-2005, 06:12 AM
Shit Floyd, bastards.....

Better be more careful next time (all of us!)

Root admin
19-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by warrenm2@Oct 18 2005, 11:01 PM
how do you delete a post?
Which post do you want deleted? I can do it for you.

Floyd
19-10-2005, 07:08 AM
I've read the stories of the French and Belgium Police and thought that as long as I kept my eyes pealed and stuck around a ton then it'll be OK. It's hard to concentrate for hours on end and I saw the hidden unmarked radar car too late. It was VERY well hidden and I had no chance of slowing. If the Police bike had been after someone else when you passed then you would have got away with it unless another was in the area to catch up with you.

He did ask about Simon and I'm glad I let Simon go on as he would have been fined as well, no doubt.

I suppose I can count myself lucky that I didn't go faster past the car as I guess my speed was already showing 110ish mph for him to register 153kph!!! and I was also worried that I had forgotten my papers- log book, insurance, first aid kit, bulbs, triangle etc etc. For this reason I didn't argue as I didn't want him searching the car for my RA and asking for the other stuff :blink: I believe that if he had caught me doing over the ton then the fine would be extreme or even confiscation of the car at 125+mph :blink:

It has certainly tainted my trip :(

F

warrenm2
19-10-2005, 10:14 AM
Bloody bad luck Floyd, I was cruising at about a ton also so must have been lucky. That chunnel crossing doesnt half make up time though, I left Brens at 8.30 for a 12.45 ferry. Was really surprised to see you two :P

Clare (!), it was the post saying , how do I delete a post

Floyd
19-10-2005, 11:38 AM
We lost all our time though, when we took the back roads from Hemel. My mobile phone traffic report said the M1 was clear but Kaylas report said not and on the strength of that we went back roads.

F

Simon
19-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Floyd@Oct 19 2005, 12:38 PM
We lost all our time though, when we took the back roads from Hemel. My mobile phone traffic report said the M1 was clear but Kaylas report said not and on the strength of that we went back roads.

F
We lost a bit of time in Belgium as well Floyd :whistle:

Can't believe that when I saw Floyd after his 'cash point detour' the 1st thing he said was that he wanted to take a picture of the copper but though it not wise :unsure: .

He did consider offering Dave's wheel & tyre thou in payment nono

Bloody traffic reports, some saying busy, some saying M1 still closed some saying ok! Why can't they sing from the same song sheet jerk

Floyd
19-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Simon Reeve@Oct 19 2005, 11:49 AM
We lost a bit of time in Belgium as well Floyd :whistle:

I reckon I saved your 'bacon' matey. I wanted toargue but thought better of it and if I had, he may have looked at other ways of increasing the punishment, including finding my mate in the blue Subaru!!! :blink: I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd accepted your offer to follow me in :unsure: You were wise to drive away.

Still, 175 Euros is cheaper than repairing road sign damage and probably the same as replacing a new tyre on Moggies car. These are expensive trips through Belgium :( Perhaps the Policemen should wear a black cape and a mask :ph43r: :whistle:

F
PS could I have asked for evidence? :unsure: What would have happened?

Gary Kinghorn
19-10-2005, 02:19 PM
He would have introduced you to his trungeon no doubt ......

Sowler
20-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Hiya guys i'm the one who had the poorly CRX. It turned out to be the drivers side inner CV like i'd thought. Achim got it changed in well under an hour and only asked for 60 euros for the pleasure. Didnt quite have enough time to go and get another lap in at the ring unfortuetly.

First of all, it was really nice to meet a great bunch of people and sooo very helpful. Everybody i've told really cant believe that i manged to get my 15 year old japanese car fixed in the middle of germany in under an hour and for only 60 euros!

I only managed 2 laps in total one with floyd and one with the person i had brought along which clare had very kindly given a passenger ride to before hand. Thanks to floyd for taking me out first, opened my eyes up to how well a WRX can handle when in the right hands and properly sorted.

But just basically a big thank you to all who where there, sorry i cant remember all your names. I dont think we could have come over and spoke to a nicer bunch of people!

And if anyone manages to come across of any pictures of a blue crx from the 17/10/05 could they let me know!

Cheers

John

warrenm2
20-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Hiya John, glad to hear you got it all sorted. Its not the sort of service we offer to just anyone you know! :D

Mark

Simon
20-10-2005, 09:03 PM
Glad it was sorted quickly & cheaply John :D

mark, I see that they have been messing with your profile :thumb:

Dave Malings
20-10-2005, 09:15 PM
Glad you got it sorted, shame you didn't get another lap.

Lets hope you manage to get back soon.......maybe another trip to see the old man :thumb:

Dave :ph43r:

warrenm2
21-10-2005, 03:03 AM
actually I changed it myself! Thought it would be :D !

Root admin
21-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Hi John,

So glad it got fixed quickly - it didn't sound too good, but at least you had some people there to show you the right direction to get it fixed!!

Shame it happened on MY lap!!

I think the people make the trips to the ring as much as the driving. We have made some great friends there and are always made to feel welcome.

Hope to see you there next year!

Clare