PDA

View Full Version : 28th April Report

Tony
02-05-2007, 09:42 AM
It was a very different visit compared to my usual trips but a great weekend nonetheless. The original plan was to drive up to London on Friday afternoon and pick up the M5 Touring, then head back into town and stay overnight with a friend. However, as all the BMW bigwigs were attending the “F1 extravaganza” they needed the car on Saturday morning, not lunchtime, as planned. This meant that I had to drop off my car for my friend to collect, pick up the M5 and drive straight to Nurburg. I’m quite used to driving from Cornwall to the ring in one hit, but it didn’t help that this time I didn’t even leave home until 1pm AND got stuck in traffic on the M4 for a couple of hours.

The trip over was uneventful, but the car is so fast that I had to use the cruise control for the sake of my license. ;) Just brush the throttle and you’re doing 120mph...... or a lot more as I found out on a couple of occasions. :whistle: Saw a mint Mercedes SLR (1950s) in Belgium which was lovely. Fortunately, BMW had put me up in the Dorint, so when I got there at 1am I ate/drank the mini-bar and passed out.

I awoke at 8am (7am UK time) to the VLN qualifying session the was taking place just outside my balcony – scared the crap out of me! :o :lol: I had left the balcony door open because of the heat and so the unsilenced Porsche RSR exhaust made a very effective alarm call! I mooched around until 10am, including watching the 42 M coupes drive past at the start of the Farher Training
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02234.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02235.jpg

I picked up my press pass and went over to the paddock to find Monkey who was racing a 997 Cup in the race. Great fun to go and wander round the pits – the Aston Martin was also in the same pit as Monkey’s team, so we were rubbing shoulders with Klaus Ludwig etc. (cue bowing smilie in the Wayne's World "we're not worthy" posture :D ) There were some spectacular cars there, particularly in the ‘Open Class’, as it meant that they could run with some hilarious wings and splitters. Check out the Aston’s splitter!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02238.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02236.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02240.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02242.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02244.jpg

I met up with Jochen :thumb: who was taking pictures for Monkey’s team-mates and chatted to the team – an amazing atmosphere.
I watched the first part of the race then went off to meet the others who, by this point, had driven from London. Had lunch in the Dorint watching the race then went off and checked into the Am Tiergarten and then fitted my racing rims/tyres.

We then went to watch the F1 lap and wended our way down to Brunnchen which, as you can imagine, was heaving with beer-swilling sausage munchers, but it was a good atmosphere. We walked up to Eschbach and watched ‘Kvick Nick’ do his three laps. It certainly didn’t look like he was giving it the full beans, but it was great to see and VERY loud
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/th_MOV02251.jpg (http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/?action=view¤t=MOV02251.flv)

The rest of the afternoon at the Pistenklause bar, although I did go back to the Grun Holle to make sure that the evening session had been cancelled – which it had – and met Dave (Pooky). Invited him back to the Pistenklause that evening.

Had a great meal sitting outside in the evening sun and were joined by Monkey and Pooky as planned, but also by Dickie Meaden and Dave Shepard from Evo magazine plus a couple of the BMW guys. We stayed out there until Fabrizio kicked us off the table at 11.30pm. :lol:

Sunday morning was anther beautiful day with clear skies and no wind. The track didn’t open until 10.30am so we had a lazy start, although by now I was doing the excited schoolboy bit and was awake pacing the room from 6am onwards! :rolleyes: Bumped into Thorleif after admiring his M3GT :affection: Also spoke briefly to Andy (bad_roo) and had a chuckle at his latest set of wheel :lol: Didn't see you again though Andy :huh:

It was a very busy day and we had several stoppages but I had a few good laps in the M3, plus I did a lap in a friend’s new M Coupe which was very nice. I had pax laps in a Nismo 350Z which sounded lovely and a very quick lap with Pooky – since when I have decided that I need to sort my suspension and Dave needs to buy some bigger brakes! :P

Sat chewing the cud with Monkey and the Evo boys and generally had a great time. The was an accident again around 5pm so we went back to the Am Tiergarten for a break and then whilst the other lads hit the beers I went back to the track for a few quieter laps…… or that was the plan, but there was a Swiss 911 owners club meeting who had decided to do a group lap at that time and there were about forty of them two abreast, so it took me until Swedenkreuz to get past them. :angry: All this meant that I only did seven laps plus four pax laps over the weekend, which is about 40% of what I normally do. However, I think it just means that it is now the weekend as a whole that appeals, not just the lapping.

Left one lap on the ticket – never go out for “one last lap” :D – then headed back to the PK for beers. Changed the wheels back on the M3 then cleaned up and headed into the PK for more Hot Rock steak. Briefly met up with the Evo guys and also AlClark and the MX boys. Pooky joined us again and we had a very amusing even with one of our group, a hyper loaded property guy, who has a penchant for Jags and Maseratis, telling Pooky how he should do his job and what Jag need to produce next. :lol: :lol:

Looked around for Karl, who I though had said was going to be there that evening, but couldn’t see him, then turned in at about 11pm.

Monday morning was another beautiful start. Sadly Monkey had had to depart earlier than expected and had taken the M5 with him……… so I had to bring back his GT3………… gutted as you can imagine!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC_0020.jpg
(Yours truly in the middle)
Had a cracking journey home including this:
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC02257.jpg

Got home at 8pm after 12 hours in the saddle, including dropping off the Porsche and continuing the journey in the M3. All in all a fantastic weekend and naturally I am now planning how I can get back there before July. :thumb:

T

P.S. Ask Pooky about his Poopy Hairy Hoopy :lol: :lol:

Weeman
02-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Great report Tony, sorry I missed ya, I was in the PK sunday night, with our lot sat in the corner table, by the bar, so I'm sure I saw you here and there over the weekend :lol:

Andrew
02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Great read :)

So do you have an M5 touring now?

Stip
02-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Hi
How fast is 192mph in KM/H??
Stip

Weeman
02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
FAST!!!

ermmmmm about 307 kph, roughly

leavingeasy
02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
I used to like you Tony- but its a fine line y'know, a fine line....... :P

Simon
02-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Good report Tony.

I am not like Nick and still like you despite all these :affection: cars that you keep falling into.

You B4stard :angry:

Gary Kinghorn
02-05-2007, 10:48 AM
There are not many people around who can write a report 28 days before the date ;)

28th May report - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great write up though :thumb:

Weeman
02-05-2007, 10:49 AM
pmsl I hadn't noticed that, Tony you any good with BMW petrol caps??

Stip
02-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Thx Weeman
I dont know that UK miles the same as US miles.

Stip

Karl
02-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Nice hat, Tony ;)

http://regmedia.co.uk/2001/09/12/457.jpg

Weeman
02-05-2007, 11:09 AM
ROTFPMSL!!!!!!!! :lol:

Simon
02-05-2007, 11:18 AM
pmsl. :lol: . I notice that you did not use the full body shot :huh: :o

Tony
02-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@May 2 2007, 11:48 AM
There are not many people around who can write a report 28 days before the date ;)

28th May report - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great write up though :thumb:
:shame: Oops!

@ Karl FECKING CHEGGARS :argue:

:P :lol: Sorry to have missed you and Weeman. Next time eh?

Tony
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Just picked up todays Autocar mag and 'my' M5 is on the front cover - a license loser if ever there was one :rolleyes:

I actually saw 196mph on the GT3 speedo and it was still pulling hard so I'm a bit gutted I didn't go for the full 200............. maybe next time :whistle: What a noise though - I want one :(

Weeman
02-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah, next time Tony, I was keeping a beer cold for ya, but alas it wasn't to be. Next trip my car will be fettled, so I can have a proper fall over session with karlitos

Tony
02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Look forward to it :thumb:

Karl
02-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Tony@May 2 2007, 01:51 PM
:P :lol: Sorry to have missed you and Weeman. Next time eh?
Well, you know where I am :affection:

Boddington
02-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Got back to Manchester just after midnight last night - what a weekend! It was the first trip for the four of us that were in convoy, but definitely won't be the last.

I dreamt of Flugplatz and Foxhole last night - is this normal???! Oh dear, I might be hooked... :blink:

Cheers to everyone who's contributed on here to help us plan our trip and it was great to meet a few of you out there too. Al - smooth manouevre getting on the ferry with 30 secs to spare! :D

Now where's my diary to plan the next one...

:thumb:

Pooky
02-05-2007, 02:32 PM
I've decided big brakes are too expensive.

Top weekend, good to meet everyone.

I might write a report if I can be arsed.

Floyd
02-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Well, well Tony. Your wish was granted B) How the hell did you manage to take the photo? :unsure: Please tell me you had a passenger to do it or I'm going to think you have balls the size of Arizona :blink:

If there was a pissing contest then you've won, OK? B)

F

bad_roo
02-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Nice to see you Tony. I saw the M3, the GT3 and the M5 Touring pull into the car park but didn't spot them out on the circuit. Dickie's 997 Turbo sat in the car park most of the day too.

I caught up with him and Shep later at the Tankstelle.

That 107 was probably the most fun I've ever had in a car at the Ring. We took one of the Italian 911 Turbo guys out which resulted in him going off on the grass at Eiskurve trying to catch us back. I almost crashed laughing at him as he flapped like a pigeon in a box trying to get back straight.

Sounds like you had a great weekend. 192mph aint to be sniffed at!

Tony
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Good to see you too Andy, even if it was very brief :rolleyes: LMAO @ the Porsche trying to follow a 107 and failing :lol: :lol: :lol: I still think that my favourite ever lap was with Monkey in a Fiesta ST - it just should have gone that fast and it was great fun seeing the reaction of supercar drivers when you went past ;) :lol:

Dickie decided that the Turbo and the busy track were a bad combination and went off with Shep to do cornering shots on the roads instead B) I also think that he scared himself at Brunnchen as he drifted for the crowds and wasn't expecting it to drift at such an angle :lol: Probably looked awesome from the outside but there was some frantic arm twirling on the inside :P

GT3 was still pulling strong and I'm a bit miffed that I didn't go for the full 200mph, but perhaps next time. I did see 196mph but lost 4mph when I picked up my camera.......... :whistle: (Floyd, they're more like Florida these days ;) :ph43r: )

Pooky
02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I had a run with Dickie following me from the barrier late on Sunday. He finally got past on the climb up Kesselchen, think he was a bit surprised at my pace...

alclark
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Was good to meet you at last Tony, although you should have warned me that you wouldn't have the M5-T the whole weekend.... :whistle: :lol:

Now some journo somewhere is scared of me. :D

alclark
02-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Boddington@May 2 2007, 12:56 PM
Al - smooth manouevre getting on the ferry with 30 secs to spare! :D
I've got this whole ferry thing down to a precise art. :whistle: :ph43r:

Floyd
02-05-2007, 09:30 PM
:blink: @ Tony :blink: You are bonkers mate :thumb:

F

Tony
02-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by alclark@May 2 2007, 09:15 PM
Was good to meet you at last Tony, although you should have warned me that you wouldn't have the M5-T the whole weekend.... :whistle: :lol:

Now some journo somewhere is scared of me. :D
:lol: :lol: To be fair I didn't know until the Porsche keys were thrust into my hand........... and I wasn't going to argue ;)

Floyd - I needed some proof really, besides, it was amazingly unfussed :ph43r:

Floyd
03-05-2007, 06:55 AM
I don't even want to hear how you had to rummage in you kit bag to find the camera, which was in the passenger wheel well :angry: ;)

F

Tony
03-05-2007, 07:45 AM
I'm not that stupid :lol: I had the camera in anticipation that if an opportunity arose then I would be able to record the occasion for posterity ;)

pye21
03-05-2007, 11:53 AM
Good read, bit hard to understand why/how you ended up driving 3 cars over the weekend!!!!!

Tony
03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Lucky :D As is often the way in life - it's not what you know but who you know. ;)
That's how I had access to the M5 and the GT3, but my M3 was taken over by a friend who used to let me borrow his Caterham R400/SLR when I went to the 'ring...... and it would have been rude not to return the favour and to pop in a few laps myself as it was there ;)

pye21
03-05-2007, 03:09 PM
That explains the 3 cars!!!!

Pooky
03-05-2007, 05:36 PM
All I can say is that the Oxford dictionary are considering a new entry for 'git' which they will explain as 'Tony from Northloop'.

No question of the hairyhoop yet either Tony, anyone else want some 'The Hairyhoopers' stickers on their car? We thought it was hilarious but I suspect you had to be there, getting your dinner and beers paid for by BMW GB press office...

Darren Langeveld
03-05-2007, 05:55 PM
So what, pray tell, is a HairyHoop? :ph43r:

Pooky
03-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr Teflon@May 3 2007, 05:55 PM
So what, pray tell, is a HairyHoop? :ph43r:
One of Tony's mates thought this forum was the hairyhoop and we were hairyhoopers and my nickname was poopy.

Tony
03-05-2007, 07:44 PM
LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: It was a very funny meal but I guess it was a 'you had to be there' kind of evening ;) Besides, had I known that BMW were going to pick up the tab I would have drunk more gin! :lol:

Nice to see you Poopy :P :lol:

Darren Langeveld
03-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Ahh - Poopy has a nice ring to it does it not.

Looks like the Poopy might stick .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony
03-05-2007, 07:50 PM
As long as Cheggars doesn't I'll be happy :P

Pooky
03-05-2007, 08:40 PM
I knew this would happen.

Cheggars.

Darren Langeveld
03-05-2007, 09:00 PM
" Roll up Roll up! Tonight, for one night only - it's the Cheggars and Poopy show!!! "

:lol:

Tony
03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
I'll get you for this Teflon..... :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just too funny - besides, if I'm Cheggars the sure I should have rights with Maggie Philbin :whistle: Used to have quite a crush on her as a lad ;)

Floyd
03-05-2007, 09:16 PM
:shame: And me B)

F

birdthom
03-05-2007, 09:22 PM
First time over there for me. Brilliant weekend. Thanks to all the Northloopers I met for helping make it such a good time. Took it nice and easy but got plenty of laps in and had a great time. Finished off with a surprise ride in the ring taxi on Tuesday morning. Top weekend all round.

Jon - thanks for the pax lap in the ring minicab

Steve - Eibachs are going to be ordered soon

Al - don't bother getting a jack - the extra weight might have added vital seconds to your journey time and you could have missed your ferry.

Cheers all

Tom.

Pooky
03-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Tony@May 3 2007, 09:14 PM
I'll get you for this Teflon..... :angry:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just too funny - besides, if I'm Cheggars the sure I should have rights with Maggie Philbin :whistle: Used to have quite a crush on her as a lad ;)
That's just wrong.

birdthom
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
You should worry - Boddington (see up there) confessed in the PK that he has a soft spot for Ruth Madoc....

bad_roo
04-05-2007, 05:45 AM
I hit Cheggers in the head with a fun sized Mars bar he threw into the crowd at Southampton Top Rank on a Swap Shop roadshow. It came back with interest.

Sorry 'bout that.

Weeman
04-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by birdthom@May 3 2007, 11:22 PM
First time over there for me. Brilliant weekend. Thanks to all the Northloopers I met for helping make it such a good time. Took it nice and easy but got plenty of laps in and had a great time. Finished off with a surprise ride in the ring taxi on Tuesday morning. Top weekend all round.

Jon - thanks for the pax lap in the ring minicab

Steve - Eibachs are going to be ordered soon

Al - don't bother getting a jack - the extra weight might have added vital seconds to your journey time and you could have missed your ferry.

Cheers all

Tom.
Did I meet you over the weekend? apologies if i didn't say hello.

Darren Langeveld
04-05-2007, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by bad_roo@May 4 2007, 06:45 AM
I hit Cheggers in the head with a fun sized Mars bar he threw into the crowd at Southampton Top Rank on a Swap Shop roadshow. It came back with interest.

Sorry 'bout that.
Poor Cheggers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Floyd
04-05-2007, 06:36 AM
It gets worse. I went through a phase when I fancied Penny Mallory :unsure: :blink:

F

bad_roo
04-05-2007, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Floyd@May 4 2007, 06:36 AM
It gets worse. I went through a phase when I fancied Penny Mallory :unsure: :blink:

F
She does have quite a sexy voice but I can't get this out of my mind whenever I see Penny wearing makeup...

http://www.gothampublicworks.com/images/gallery/joker-lair.jpg

Tony
04-05-2007, 09:05 AM
LMAO :lol: :lol:

Pooky
04-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Was she the rally driving turned some sort of presenter?

Emma Sams used to do it for me.

Tony was more Tommy Boyd I think.

Tony
04-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Oi :angry: Easy now... I do have feelings you know :P

bad_roo
04-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Pooky@May 4 2007, 09:08 AM
Tony was more Tommy Boyd I think.
http://www.handson.provocateuse.com/images/photos/jason_statham_01.jpg

"SHUT UP AND FIGHT ME, F*CKER!"
Tony.

:P

Robert
04-05-2007, 01:49 PM
what is a cheggars or something like that?

TBR
04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Bad Dragon@May 4 2007, 01:49 PM
what is a cheggars or something like that?
This man is cheggers.

http://www.plokta.com/plokta/issue20/cheggers.jpg

He's a d-list celeb.

birdthom
04-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Don't think I met you weeman - I was the scared-looking guy in a dirty silver clio cup. What were you in?

Floyd
04-05-2007, 02:20 PM
PMSL :lol:

F

Weeman
04-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by birdthom@May 4 2007, 04:19 PM
Don't think I met you weeman - I was the scared-looking guy in a dirty silver clio cup. What were you in?
ahhhh, i saw you around, Jon said he'd met ya on the ferry, I have the silver 318is, with silly stickerage and sky high suspension (for now) LOL

Pooky
04-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by TBR@May 4 2007, 02:02 PM
This man is cheggers.

http://www.plokta.com/plokta/issue20/cheggers.jpg

He's a d-list celeb.
That's uncanny....hairyhoopers are go.

Day
04-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by birdthom@May 4 2007, 02:19 PM
That would be this dirty cup then...

http://crowspeed.net/day/Nurburgring-07/slides/DSCF0623.jpg

http://crowspeed.net/day/Nurburgring-07/slides/DSCF0778.JPG

Full res available if wanted :)

birdthom
05-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Nice pics day! Can I get the full res? PM on the way.

Cheers

Tom.

alclark
06-05-2007, 12:57 AM

Why is there a man at the turn in marker stripping off?

Edit: And a bloke in red shorts rubbing lotion into another man?

Tony
06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by bad_roo@May 4 2007, 01:52 PM
http://www.handson.provocateuse.com/images/photos/jason_statham_01.jpg

"SHUT UP AND FIGHT ME, F*CKER!"
Tony.

:P
That's better than frigging Cheggars, however, the beerbelly would ruin the stance somewhat I'm afraid :P :lol:

bad_roo
06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by alclark@May 6 2007, 12:57 AM

Is that Fudgröhre?

pye21
06-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by alclark@May 6 2007, 12:57 AM

Looks like the guy in the red top is taking a dump as well!! Very friendly corner :gay: :gaypride:

birdthom
06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Hmmm. Those images will never seem the same now...

The guy on the right looks like he's waiting for one of his suncream buddies.