PDA

View Full Version : DN6 & Spa

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Despite taking my SLR I barely took any photos and none using the sodding SLR. :loser:

I think the car misfortune at DN6 pretty much meant that first thing I was fixing the Elise then once I was out and going I wasn't going to bother taking pics!

Anyway - here's the detailed report..... sorry about the iphone turd pics.

It started early.... 01:45 alarm to be precise. Having last looked at my watch at midnight, I was not pleased. The 04:35 chunnel wasn't exactly full.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qa3AhY6J6O4/UHltH2BZ6AI/AAAAAAAAGhY/t9xl3SDRZ9g/s859/IMG_1290.jpg

The car was expertly packed [full].

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-aR7QYKuA8P0/UHltGdfldDI/AAAAAAAAGhQ/5uCc0xkhsg4/s1150/IMG_1292.JPG

On the tunnel I spotted the first issue of the week. The newly fitted front driver's side tyre was running about 10 PSI. Thought the steering on the way down was heavy....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-52m6EgHLt-o/UHltFkAHPQI/AAAAAAAAGhM/gPbAITW5bQM/s1150/IMG_1293.JPG

Pumping it up was a saga in its own right and required that I solicit the help of the nearest UK plated car at the terminal filling station. He didn't speak a word of English so that was fun!

The next 4.5hrs passed with minimal drama - although I thought I heard and felt many!

Upon landing in Nurburg (about 10:30am) I went to Tom Schirmer's place to get my alloy looked at. It turns out that the wheel is fecked and really could do with a new one. The amount of flaking alloy had caused a poor seal. They managed to fix it up, charged me a fortune (€30) and sent me on my way.

At least there was some nice eye candy there.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TF9fTAo0D58/UHltE3W_ISI/AAAAAAAAGhE/90OEPW1RPII/s859/IMG_1294.jpg

I managed to get a lap in with Ian (drive forward) in the Pax just before the end of the day. WOW. So my lines were VERY rusty, but the car at full chat was pretty damn special.

After this we went to the briefing. It was busy.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-lPSquF-NWzE/UHltDyeTNVI/AAAAAAAAGg8/dj4g4_jsQPI/s1150/IMG_1295.JPG

Plenty of loopers:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gZsoX8WBJT4/UHltDTXm6vI/AAAAAAAAGg4/gY8bl1JC-eM/s859/IMG_1296.jpg

The morning started crisp and sunny. The clouds in the valleys looked ace.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_kQwiDrLwlU/UHltCd6piwI/AAAAAAAAGg0/katwr9aiVLM/s859/IMG_1297.jpg

The day thereafter wasn't quite so good :(

After three epic laps the car developed a misfire coming out of Aremburg. We then spent the next 3.5 hrs chasing it down to a loose wire to a fuse that caused the fuel pump to cut when the connection broke.

In typical comedy fashion life was made even harder by the fact that I firstly had to borrow a laptop. This was then flat. For some odd reason the machine then wouldn't let us install the K-Pro drivers to connect to the ECU. Given I had the disk this was very frustrating. It then transpired that the laptop had a dodgy USB port that caused the laptop to reboot every time we connected everything to the USB. It also probably caused one of the fuses to blow. Which meant that the car didn't start at all.

So from having an occasional misfire we went to a non-starting car. My Elise shakedown was becoming a minor catastrophe.

Once the problem was found it was fixed with a zip tie (as all the best problems are). Success! Well sort of. Whilst the car started it was in some sort of " limp home mode" and wouldn't rev past 4k rpm. After some more head scratching, successfully downloading the drivers for the ECU from the internet and much faffing. I turned the key one more time before downloading the map to try a re-boot. Bingo, the car ran! It seems that the ECU had thrown a bit of a wobbler and needed a couple of resets to get back on track.

As you can imagine all these little issues didn't make for speedy / smooth progress. Note to self, VERY cheap laptop on the shopping list purely for the car.

Right I'm going to get a beer.... I'll write more later.

Floyd
13-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Good so far. I see me! Two pictures are the same..:thumb:

Now edited!

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 08:22 PM
So anyway, after fixing the electrical gremlins I went out for some more laps. It was properly flying.

I took out my mate Jack for a couple of laps and was starting to get back into a groove. Not much passed us (if anything) and we matched a 996 turbo for straight line pace down DH up to c120mph. Not to mention that we saw the speedo pass the end of the scale (which stops at 150 mph :shock:). It's one fast canoe I can tell you.

After a quick break I popped back out with Martin as a passenger and was having a hoot up until SX. On the approach (downhill) as I changed from 5th to 6th the gear engaged only to not. The revs rocketed, there was a massive clutch smell and a lot of smoke out the back. I immediately depressed the clutch and was able to re-engage 6th gear. There had been no deceleration (other than the fact we didn't do a full speed 5th-6th change I was expecting) and oddly the car felt fine.

I wasn't really happy though so pootled round the rest of the lap.

Upon coming to the paddock the clutch smell returned and the seemed to slip when changing gear at low speed. The box was now also VERY notchy. :sad:

Fast forwarding somewhat, we now believe that one of the plates is spinning of its own accord as when the clutch bites there's a smell of clutch and a whirring sound just before it engages. Then once going it's all fine and there's no clutch smell. UB thinks something has sheared / bolt has gone causing the plate to spin, but won't know for sure until the car is back and the engine is out. AGAIN.

Needless to say I didn't do any more track miles in the Elise whilst away. 6 epic ring laps were enough for me to know that the car is an absolute beast - I just hope it's back up and running well again soon (and cheaply! :lol:).

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Good so far. I see me! Two pictures are the same..:thumb:

Now edited!

Spotted that - ta :thumb:

Nige
13-10-2012, 08:45 PM
but won't know for sure until the car is back and the engine is out. AGAIN.

I just hope it's back up and running well again soon (and cheaply! :lol:).
Engine out and Cheap don`t really go together. :lol:

Shame you had those issues, very odd about the ECU, i`d be getting intouch with the manufacturer if I were you, imagine if you couldn`t get hold of a laptop !

As I`ve said, it appears this car is a weapon ! :thumb:

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 08:47 PM
We were at Spa for both the Tuesday and Wednesday. But with the E30 having bent rear trailing arms, dodgy bushes and possibly a bent beam and the Elise out of action the mood in the Preacher camp was a bit downbeat.

That said we set off in convoy with the rest of our lot, including Bod in his utterly ludicrous hire car. :lol:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9pz7ogWOGOs/UHltBGZC6vI/AAAAAAAAGgo/UIzi_Pcid_o/s1150/IMG_1299.JPG

After a relatively easy drive (despite a very frustrating detour that found us on some immense roads that I couldn't hoon down) we made it to the hotel. We stayed at a place called the Beau Site in Hockai (http://www.hotelbeausite.be/english/index.html). We've stayed there every single year I've been to Spa, it's great value, has fantastic food and brilliant beer. It's also run by some very typically Belgian bloke which makes me happier I'm not funding some massive corporate when I stay.

After a few of the fantastic beers and some wild boar we retired for the night.

Up Bright and breezy for the briefing / signon Bod took full advantage of taking whatever car you needed out on the sighting laps...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Z-unlqAnQkE/UHls_7f-5cI/AAAAAAAAGgg/yk8-tsKXftc/s859/IMG_1301.jpg

Having discussed our options at length with Andy one of our crew who races E30s and used to rally them. He basically told us they would regularly compete (and do very well thank you) on rallies in cars in a much worse state. This effectively equated to telling us to man up and take the E30 out to see how it was.

We duly did so and had what can only be described as a hoot.

The set up caused significant toe-out at the rear (especially on the OSR) meaning it wandered "a bit" down the straights. Andy reckoned softening the suspension (a lot) and raising it past agricultural to Paris-Dakar levels of ride height would help reduce some of the ludicrous camber and toe-out. And by Jove he was right. Well sort of. It helped a bit, but to be honest it weaved and crabbed down the straights and then lurched into a slide at the hint of any corner.

That said, the funny thing was it was bloody brilliant. Once you got used to the terrifying handling on the straights the corners were ace. You'd pitch in and the back would step out, immediately tightening your radius. You could then floor it, the diff would lock up and the car would rocket through the corner leaving two solid black lines as it went. :thumb:

The next two days were spent giving passenger rides to whomever wanted a laugh. I've never been propositioned by so many strangers who'd seen it on track and wanted a ride (ooh-er). Or at least to know what engine transplant/how many turbos it had:)

It completely put the smiles back on both mine and Dad's faces that had been missing a bit at the 'ring.

Once again I realised that the E30 is an epic car. It's taken SO much abuse and punishment get continues to deliver the most amount of smiles per mile than any other car I know. Even when broken it's quicker than cars costing 10,20 or more times what ours cost which NEVER ceases to bring a smile to my face.

So that's it, another DN event and Spa under our belts and despite the roller-coaster of emotions it was utterly brilliant. The organisation is first rate, the people even more so and the tracks aren't bad too.

Bring on next year :rave:

pye21
13-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Nice write-up.

What happened to the E30?

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Engine out and Cheap don`t really go together. :lol:

La-la-la-la I can't hear you :whistle:

Shame you had those issues, very odd about the ECU, i`d be getting intouch with the manufacturer if I were you, imagine if you couldn`t get hold of a laptop !

As I`ve said, it appears this car is a weapon ! :thumb:

I guess going all the way to the ring for a shakedown was always going to be risky :lol:

Been in touch with a few people in the know and the ECU often goes into limp-home mode if it detects something odd. Given the dodgy USB port I think we were lucky the fuse blew and not the ECU. If it continues we may need to speak with them, but the wiring is not yet optimal anyway - pesky conversions ;)

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Nice write-up.

What happened to the E30?

Cheers :thumb: - only meant to be a really short one too! ha.

Bit of a long story. But in summary - Dad crashed it at Croft in the summer. We had it inspected and a few bits upgraded (new E46 compact rack etc). Inspection didn't pick up all the issues.

Tim
13-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Why/how was the E30's rear end bent?

jme
13-10-2012, 09:02 PM
unedited sorry but the White E30 shows its pace.

http://youtu.be/EAPZEBEo80Y

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 10:21 PM
The shot towards Eau Rouge is definitely better ;)

Tim - see reply to Pye. Dad kissed the barriers at Croft back in the summer.

Diamond Hell
13-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Next time come find us when you're in need of laptop action. We normally have at least one and DannyP's used to futzing about with standalone management. :thumb:

Peach-uk
13-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Now I know what you look like I'll be right over. :thumb:

That said, I can't imagine you would have taken too kindly to my requests given the timing overlap with your challenges!

crossie
14-10-2012, 01:00 PM
[QUOTE=Peach-uk;788056Given the dodgy USB port I think we were lucky the fuse blew and not the ECU. [/QUOTE]

USB port worked fine before it was pluged into your ECU!

oh and thans for dropping my laptop on the floor!

Jim Cameron
14-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Great to see you both. Thanks for taking the lads out... Happy I could reciprocate in the Toyota. :thumb:

andyjeb
14-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Inspection didn't pick up all the issues.

I have emails discussing the replacement of the rear beam for an ajustable one due to being advised to change it.

The reply was "maybe something for next year".

Tim
14-10-2012, 02:27 PM
When did anyone let the truth get in the way of a good trip report? :lol:

Peach-uk
14-10-2012, 09:07 PM
USB port worked fine before it was pluged into your ECU!

oh and thans for dropping my laptop on the floor!

I sincerely hope I didn't break it". If I did, then I will pay for it. Tell me what I owe you.

As for dropping it. I am a retard. I fell over. If something is broken because of it I will fix it / pay for it. Sorry again.

Peach-uk
14-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Great to see you both. Thanks for taking the lads out... Happy I could reciprocate in the Toyota. :thumb:

The lads were top - any time!

Peach-uk
14-10-2012, 09:12 PM
When did anyone let the truth get in the way of a good trip report? :lol:

I didn't name names as I didn't think this was the place for it. I'm therefore not going to discuss it here.