PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance

Gary Kinghorn
21-03-2007, 06:28 AM
Much has been written and talked about regarding car insurance over the past couple of years so I thought I would try to capture as much of the info as possible on one thread and this can be used for the future.

Facts.....

1. The Nordschleife is a German toll road and as such is governed by German road laws.

2. There are 3 speed limits on the Nordschleife, 1 after exiting the barrier while you drive through the cones at the entrance, 2 on the bridge at Breidsheid (also an exit point) 3 on the Dottinger Hohe straight as you finish your lap.

3. The Nurburgring GP circuit is NOT goverened by German road laws and is NOT a derestricted toll road. This circuit is different from the Nordschleife.

4. If an incident occurs involving 2 vehicles the Police WILL attend and WILL apportion blame to one of the parties. If you overtake on the wrong side you could be prosecuted. If you drift from the right side of the track and hit a car passing you on your left YOU will be blamed, you have moved into the overtaking lane without due consideration for vehicles passing you.

5. You must be fully insured to drive on the Nordschleife and your car must be fully road worthy with a current MOT and road tax

6. If you crash in a car which has a stop watch running it could be assumed that you are competing in a time trial and your insurance invalidated.

7. If your insurance restricts you from driving on the ring then you are not in any way insured to drive there and should not do so.

8. Make sure you tell your insurer that you are going to Germany to drive the Nordschleife before you travel. Ring them and then put it in writing.

There are companies out there who will specifically cover you on the Nordchleife during TF days, but this will be costly. However you MUST ensure you are fully covered before you drive on the ring.

We at Northloop cannot be help responsible for any of the comments written in this thread or any of the others on this Forum.

MikePass
13-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Regarding the "Don't ring insurance companies asking them if they cover the Nurburgring" - Because they'll all start not covering it.

Do you think it would help if we worked it the other way around...

Anyone with a company that already excludes it SHOULD tell them when they get to renewal - "I'm leaving you because you specifically exclude the Nurburgring. So no matter how slowly and carefully I would like to drive round it, I cannot as you've made it effectively illegal for me to do so. I cannot drive on a public road - the Nurburgring, with no insurance"

I just rang Elephant.co.uk to say I'm not renewing, and I had the above response ready. But they were far too polite and didn't ask why I was leaving, just said that they would send my no claims bonus certificate out first class.

Dale
04-05-2007, 10:57 AM
I would add to this:

There are specific companies who offer cover against damage to your own car... not seen one that does third-party...

DVW
03-09-2008, 09:01 AM
One point (feel free to delete also iif invalid)

we were once talking with a marshall from the nurburgring in a bar. He told us that the entire track has a 110kmh speed limit? something like it is national speed limit but because it is a b road that means 110kmh max?

UweM3
06-06-2009, 06:30 PM
don't know if this is the right thread to ask this questions but I am intrigued what the legal situation is about the NGMBH impounding your car if you don't pay on the spot. In a normal road accident it is sufficient to exchange insurance details and reading in my policy booklet the insurer is adament that I don't give any liability statement or make payments.
Is that written somewhere in the small print when buying a lap ticket?

leavingeasy
04-07-2009, 02:24 AM
:thumb:

Uncle Benz
12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
is???

Rory
12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Go on Mr Benz, you might as well finish it...... :thumb: