PDA

View Full Version : Trip report 3rd & 4th Sept

simon_davis
07-09-2005, 09:55 PM
-----As posted on the Ringers list, but here for the benefit of others------

Hi all,

As I have just returned from another exciting weekend at the track, I thought I'd post a quick review.

I stayed at Edgar Stefans' guesthouse (Pension Mühlenhardt) in Herschbroich, within the layout of the track. A very good location, friendly and easy to get to both the main track entrance and Breidsheid.

I tried to get to the track on Friday but I turned up at about 8pm just as they were shutting everything...the trip through Belgium had been a little slow.

On Saturday, I popped over to Spa in the morning to drop off some bits to a friend and then I visited the towns. Sadly the car rally supplier I went to see was shut and I couldn't get any proper gloves to use whilst visiting the Ring, so I'll be sticking to my bike ones for now. A gentle drive back to the Ring and I arrived at about 5pm allowing time to fill up with fuel and check the car out.
It was fairly busy with the odd closure but I managed to get about four laps in. The weather was very nice as well. I managed to get a passenger lap with Clare in her Clio 172 which was very fast - thanks Clare :thumb: (and no doubt I'll have more laps seeing her overtake me).

Sunday, I got up at about 7:30 ready for breakfast at the guesthouse and by about 8:15 you could hear the roar of bikes and cars at the track, echoing down the valley. It sounded quite impressive, but I bet the locals must get a little annoyed at times. I think there was a 24hr race at the GP circuit as well.

The weather started off a bit iffy, but by mid-morning had sorted itself out and the day was very warm and dry.

I managed lots of PAX laps: firstly one with John from the USA in his rental BMW Z4 which was fast, one with Steve in his red Boxster which was also fast, then a few in a Volvo T5 Estate driven by Tim and a Focus ST170 driven by James. The Volvo was quite a good car, my dad has the same model and it was fun to be in one driven very quickly for a change. I also met up with lots of other people from the list (Brenn, Steve, another Simon, Juan?, Gary and Emma) it was good to put some names to faces etc.

There were a few crashes during the day and a few closures, indeed I stopped at one incident to help out, making use of my bright jacket (much to the amusement of Emma & Gary on the side of the track) - I had a chat to a marshal later on, who suggested I make a flag out of yellow sheet if I visit regularly - maybe something for my mother to do ;-)

The track shut early at about 7pm and that meant it was time for me to head into France to visit my parents over on the West coast. If you thought the short hop through Belgium to get to the Ring from Calais was dull, a 700 mile trek across France is worse!

I was happy with the Civic this weekend - it performed flawlessly and things seemed better doing one lap at a time to allow cooling etc. I plan to fit some performance brake discs/pads this week, ready for testing at the Ring in two weeks. I also ended up buying a half year ticket for 395 Euro, which I intend to make full use of in the remaining weeks of the year.

I had a 500 mile drive from Quimper to Dunkerque on Tuesday, which I just managed in time and caught the ferry back to Dover via Norfolkline. I think that it's a good deal through them - it is only 48 Pounds return for a 5 day ticket.

Thanks to all for the passenger laps & I look forward to meeting some more of you over the 16th - 20th weekend.

Regards,

Simon
B)

Root admin
08-09-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi Simon.

Thanks for the report. Dave and I know all about driving across France, my parent's holiday home is near Lamballe in Brittany and this is where we had been just before visiting the Ring last week.

Which way do you go out of interest?

Clare

Andrew
08-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Clarebabes@Sep 8 2005, 06:53 AM
Hi Simon.

Thanks for the report. Dave and I know all about driving across France, my parent's holiday home is near Lamballe in Brittany and this is where we had been just before visiting the Ring last week.

Which way do you go out of interest?

Clare
Nice little write up there Simon.

Clare - I know Lambelle. I was in Brittany last week. We go down that way for a holiday during the summer. We stayed in St Mathurin this time, which is a small Hamlet between Val Andre and Erquy. Lovely area for your folks to have a holiday home ! :)

Andy

simon_davis
08-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Hi Clare,

From the Ring; I headed south to Ulmen and got onto the '1' Autobahn heading for Trier. Then I carried on to Luxembourg, then south from there heading for Metz.
Just before Metz, there is another motorway heading West towards Reims and Paris.
Past Reims, onto the Peripherique around the bottom of Paris then onto the motorway heading for Chartres and Le Mans.
It is the same motorway to Rennes, past there and head for Lorient.

Once at Lorient, the road becomes an RN which means 110kph (at least you're meant to do 110kph, I slowed down slightly to about 130kph). This road is a bit of a pain because there are quite a few speed cameras that don't show up particularly well.

The trip took me roughly 12 hours with stops for fuel every hundred miles and it was pretty much 700 miles. It cost about 50 Euro in tolls as well...

The next day I headed back up to Rennes and then took motorways up to Dunkerque - another 500 miles which I managed in 7 hours (I think the speed limits may have been ignored slightly on this journey). hehegay

Regards,
Simon

Dave Malings
08-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Nice report.

One thing that springs to mind, is we need to change your logon name....thats waaaay to long!

Dave :ph43r:

Simon
08-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Good report :thumb: 1 thing, stops for fuel every 100 miles on the way to France? What size is your fuel tank / engine :blink:

simon_davis
08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
The car has about a 45 litre tank I think, but it is surprising how quickly it drinks fuel at non-UK motorway speeds....

I tend to stop every 100 miles on long journeys just to give me a chance to wander around and get some fresh air. When travelling alone, it's pretty dull without people to chat to so I end up stopping at interesting service areas.

I have to stop anyway to try all the odd foods you get in mainland Europe...lunch on Tuesday was Gherkin, Mustard and Cheese sandwiches ;)

Regards,
Si

Nige
08-09-2005, 04:56 PM
good report simon, you are getting some time in this month !!!

You have 1 PAX lap, then there is no stopping you asking people for one :-)

I agree though, shorten your screen name !!! it moves the whole page to the right.

Nige.

Root admin
08-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Andy@Sep 8 2005, 09:34 AM
Nice little write up there Simon.

Clare - I know Lambelle. I was in Brittany last week. We go down that way for a holiday during the summer. We stayed in St Mathurin this time, which is a small Hamlet between Val Andre and Erquy. Lovely area for your folks to have a holiday home ! :)

Andy
Andy,

Know Val Andre and Erquy quite well, but we always go to the beach as Les Hopitaux - it's truly stunning!! Parent's house is equidistant between La Bouillie and Henansal. Didn't go too further afield to be honest. I like Lamballe and the little villages near there. I wish I could live there.

Root admin
08-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Pic of the island with church which can be reached at low tide from Les Hopitaux beach.....

Andrew
09-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Sounds gorgeous clare. I will be there for 2 weeks in June next year, so i will visit Les Hopitaux.
:thumb: