PDA

View Full Version : July 30 - August 2nd. Me and Boycey!!

Steven
03-08-2005, 12:02 PM
The day began with Boycey getting to my house at 4:15am with his girlfriend, Gail in tow. My car was all loaded up - of which 80% consisted of Natalie's items. Pillow, drinks, pick 'n Mix, wet wipes, tissue, various make-up products - all for "the journey" I was told. Right-e-o!! So we set off to Dover, Boycey in his Skoda Octavia vRS and myself in the Pug. Typical normal journey down, no problems except a Z3 that seemed adamant to not let Boycey past on the dual carriageway approaching Dover. Boycey's reaction sparked off argument number 1 with him and Gail - some mild abuse coupled with some gentle shoving, a few tuts and moans seemed to clear the air.

Slowly does it getting on the ferry with the lower suspension but we were ok, got onto the ferry where we met Pete, another guy with a 306 GTi-6, that later turned out to be arguably one of the best cars I've ever been around the Ring in. Fully stripped (FULLY), KW coilovers, bigger rear torsion bar, quick shift, safety devices rollcage, windey windows fitted (electrics are weight :whistle: ), battery in the boot with a "Pete special" DIY induction kit, de-catted Magnex exhaust and loads of other stuff that I forget. The car was hardcore in every sense of the word.

Had a fry up on the boat - one word "dirt". Arrived in Calais bang on time after a smooth crossing.

After the slog across France, Belgium and Germany (with the token "how far are we" comments from the women) we got onto the 258 to Nurburg where the drama began. I overtook a van doing all of 17km/h!! Boycey and Pete overtook about 2km later - with an unmarked Vauxhall Omega parked up with a speed gun pointing right at them!! FLASH - Boycey pulled over a few hundred yards down the road and was told off by several coppers along with a $100 fine.

***Note to Boycey - when being bollocked by German Police, just say "yes, yes yes, ok, yes thank you". Boycey, true to form was arguing the toss and asking far too many questions, but after 20 mins we moved on, Boycey's wallet a little lighter***.

20 minutes later we arrived at the hotel, dumped our bags and made our way to the track, Pete went to sort out his camping facilities. I went straight out on a quick scouting lap, the suspension made a massive difference, felt infinitely better than before. Did a further 2 laps including a timed 9:12 which I enjoyed immensely. After a coffee I did a further few laps before we got a bit of rain - no problems though as wet laps are good things to do. Makes your lines perfect and subconsciously you learn alot from them. A few more laps, including some steady ones with Boycey following me saw Saturday draw to a close. A meal in the hotel with a Bitburger or two finished us all off - in bed by 11pm.

Sunday, 7:15am I was up, by 7:55am I was at the track and straight out for 3 laps in succession. Mr Boyce also took advantage of the quiet track to continue his lap tally. At 9am I saw a German registered Boxster going out so decided to follow it for a lap, he heard me say this and came over to talk to me, turns out he was a guy I had met before and knew Dave/Gary (owners of this site) and the Boxster was a gift from Avis Car Rental Services :) I joked "see you in 7 minutes" to which he replied "this isn't Gran Turismo you know, it's different in real life, you can follow me I'll take it steady". We did a lap, around the 9 minute 10 second mark with me glued to his rear bumper. Back in the car park he apologised as he thought it was my first trip. He seemed very impressed with the Pug, so I took him out for a lap (well 2). Approaching Metzgefeld he shook my hand, commented on the size of my 'balls' and we continued on the lap. Overall he was impressed, commenting on some parts of the track where I was really on it. Offering to give me some pointers, I gladly accepted and off we went on a really steady slow lap to improve a few areas where he felt I was a little too direct and driving at corners as apposed to through them. This helped as lap times came down further still after that.

Unfortunately the heavens opened up again and the entire car park ran for cover. We took the opportunity to watch at Adenau bridge for an hour or so and got a pizza. Saw 2 fire engines and ambulances galore whilst grazing on the pizza, turns out a BMW came off and there were multiple injuries, of which a female was badly hurt with what later turned out be glass injuries to the face and eyes. A sickening reminder of how dangerous it can be there - we hope all were ok as can be expected.

Got some petrol, paid, went to start car - nothing!! No electrics. Oh dear......Pete strolls over "what's up" he says "no electrics" I reply. Immediately he lifted the bonnet, found a connection notoriously dodgy on 306's and sorted the problem with the aid of Boycey's pen knife. So, no drama - thank god (and Pete).

Again it lashed it down but it soon cleared with the hot sun. Back to the track!!! Pete took me out in his Pug - what a car!! I've already spent about 2 grand in my head to get my Pug to the same level as his!!! Bearing in mind it was his 7th lap he did a 9:15. Respect due.

We both went out in our Pugs after that, saw 3 crashes!! Bikes everywhere, yellow flags everywhere - typical weekend afternoon really!! An e30 3 series span in front of me, with Natalie in the passenger seat I had an excellent audible warning of the 3 series that sat horizontally on the track at Eschbach about 40 metres in front of me - I was almost deafened by the scream even inside my helmet. - she later apologised and smiled like butter wouldn't melt. So, I let her off ;)

Later on, did a 9:09 lap, my new PB and chuffed I was to!!

Called it a day at 7pm, track was wet again so kept my laps for the Monday. That night we again ate at the hotel, ended up getting really quite drunk, me and Pete managed 23 bottles of Bitburger between us, Boycey had 6 :gayfight: and the girls shared 3 bottles of wine. Natalie was later carried to bed after falling up the stairs......in bed by 1am.

MONDAY!! Got up, feeling a little rough at about 10am. Went to the castle to find it closed!!! We loitered a bit, went for some Currywerst (spelling) before making my way to the track. Between 1pm and 3pm it was excellent, but after that it was torrential all afternoon. Did 4 wet laps in succession, and they were WET. The wooded section of the track after Karoussel was soaked, mud rivers flowing down the track, the works. Thoroughly enjoyable though and my tyres were grateful of the cool water and slower pace.

Called it a day at 6pm as track wasn't going to dry and only had 1 lap left on my second lap pass of the weekend.

Indulged in a nice meal in the Pistenklause before going bed at 11pm ish - had to get up at 6am for the trip home, fortunately Boycey kept an eye on his speedo and there were no more Polizei incidents. ;)

After some strangely busy traffic on the return leg we safely boarded the ferry and was walking in my front door at 5:15pm.

Knackered front disks (warped), battered front tyres, squealing rear brakes, vibrating exhaust and the passenger window has stopped working. Minor war wounds, all will be resolved for my final trip in 7 or so weeks.

Get me back there, I'm hooked.

Dave Malings
03-08-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Steven@Aug 3 2005, 01:02 PM
My car was all loaded up - of which 80% consisted of Natalie's items. Pillow, drinks, pick 'n Mix, wet wipes, tissue, various make-up products
Nice report....but c'mon, some of that stuff is yours!

Dave :thumb:

Steven
03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Davyboy@Aug 3 2005, 12:15 PM

I had a wet wipe and some pick n' mix en route.

greddy

boyced
03-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Steven@Aug 3 2005, 12:02 PM
***Note to Boycey - when being bollocked by German Police, just say "yes, yes yes, ok, yes thank you". Boycey, true to form was arguing the toss and asking far too many questions, but after 20 mins we moved on, Boycey's wallet a little lighter***.
luckily they didn't understand the phase "stick it down your windpipe, winkle" jerk

Gary Kinghorn
03-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Davyboy@Aug 3 2005, 12:15 PM

PMSL as soon as I read that line I thought nahhhhhh I bet its all westy faggots and was about to put it in the reply :D

Good report though matey. Sounds like you all enjoyed yourself and thats the main thing.

We like good reports :thumb:

Gary

Steven
03-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug+Aug 3 2005, 12:56 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gutmann pug @ Aug 3 2005, 12:56 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Davyboy@Aug 3 2005, 12:15 PM
Nice report....but c&#39;mon, some of that stuff is yours&#33;

Dave* :thumb:
PMSL as soon as I read that line I thought nahhhhhh I bet its all westy faggots and was about to put it in the reply :D

Good report though matey. Sounds like you all enjoyed yourself and thats the main thing.

We like good reports :thumb:

Gary [/b][/quote]
You&#39;re welcome mate.

Gary, I&#39;m hunting you down&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :wave:

Hammoc
03-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Great report :thumb:

Makes me wanna be there. Sounds like even you had a good time EVEN with the girls in tow. ;) Now waits to be flamed by Clare &#39;power junkie&#39; Babes&#33;&#33;&#33;

Chris

Gary Kinghorn
03-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Steven@Aug 3 2005, 01:02 PM

You&#39;re welcome mate.

Gary, I&#39;m hunting you down&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :wave: [/quote]
With all that extra power and newer technology it should be me trying to keep up, not the other way around. Only another 17 seconds to go and then we can talk.

Gary

Steven
03-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Aug 3 2005, 01:33 PM

You&#39;re welcome mate.

Gary, I&#39;m hunting you down&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :wave:
With all that extra power and newer technology it should be me trying to keep up, not the other way around. Only another 17 seconds to go and then we can talk.

Gary [/quote]
....my learning curve is still steep. I&#39;ve done 55 laps total now, so getting there.....getting there......steadily.....

See you in 17 seconds. :ph43r:

Root admin
03-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Hammoc@Aug 3 2005, 02:09 PM
Now waits to be flamed by Clare &#39;power junkie&#39; Babes&#33;&#33;&#33;

I have my finger on the edit button, so watch it&#33; :angry:

;)