PDA

View Full Version : Easter Trip

Zoe Sherratt
25-04-2010, 10:47 AM
After several years of being a passenger on the Ring I got the opportunity to take my car across this Easter to do my first lap as a driver and here is my brief trip report. The car I drive is a 2000 1.9 TDI diesel polo.

Me and Dad drove the car from Manchester to Hull on the Wednesday, met up with Steve and loaded the mighty polo on to Steveís empty trailer and boarded the party boat.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u227/zo_sherrratt/Nurburgring%20Easter%202010/31032010039-2.jpg

On the other side we were passed by people driving there stripped and ďtripped outĒ track cars to the Ring. Pah the people passing could tell we were serious with the polo, it was being trailered and it had a tyre rack full of wets and slicks :lol:

After arriving in Nurburg we rushed off to see Steveís baby, it had been a long and hard separation for him. It was not so hard for me and I unloaded the car and went off for my first experience of driving on the wrong side of the road. Is it just me or does driving on the right make more sense? :fish:

After bumming around for a few days, weighing up when it would be quiet to do my lap (it was defiantly not Friday, it was mental) I settled on Saturday morning. At about 9am I rocked up to Breidscheid in the red rocket as it had been christened at that stage, bought my lap and half ticket and with Dad and Steve in position at Brunnchen with camera and video camera I set off. I wonít give you a blow by blow of the lap and half but the highlights were:

-It was slippy, very slippy and I learned this in the Wippermann section. Nothing major and it will have felt a lot worse than it was.
-I over took a caterham that wasnít sure where he was going but he caught me again after I found the slippy bit and I just followed him round for the rest of the half lap.
-I had the balls to go into the Karussell!
-I realised that I had no idea where there was grip and where there wasnít.
-All the passenger laps hadnít gone to waste, there was no point I didnít know where the track was going.

Here are a couple of picture, this first one is the half lap and the second the full lap.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u227/zo_sherrratt/Nurburgring%20Easter%202010/VQ5P4817.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u227/zo_sherrratt/Nurburgring%20Easter%202010/VQ5P4854.jpg

The rest of the week was spent in the CC, passengering and enjoying the Eifel weather. We were meant to be coming home on the Tuesday but plans changed and I didnít return the UK to the following Monday on the party boat and had to make a mad dash from Hull to get to college on time.

Yesterday I finally washed the polo and stuck on itís badge of honour (I did stick on my CC sticker but made a right hash of it and had to take it off again but I will try and get another).

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u227/zo_sherrratt/Nurburgring%20Easter%202010/24042010002-2.jpg

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u227/zo_sherrratt/Nurburgring%20Easter%202010/24042010001-2.jpg

The conclusions from the trip are that the Ring is as scary as I thought it would be but I completely enjoyed the laps and money no object I would have done a fair few more. I am chuffed to bits I have done it, it was my first track driving experience and I am glad it was as the Ring has been such a big thing for me for so long. I know I may sound mega pleased with myself for something that you guys wouldnít bat an eyelid at but I have only had a license for six months, I had a sh*t start to driving, it took me forever and a day to pass but it has never stopped me. Ten days after passing I was off up to Edinburgh and six months down the line I have driven the Nordschleife and driven home from Germany when half the people who pass first time wonít drive two hours up the motorway. I have got masses still to learn and I canít wait to do some more tracking driving :D

Just like to say thanks to Darren for helping me get home. Thank you to everyone who took me out on pax laps, the CC for some good nights and to everyone who made it a cracking trip :thumb:

Jim Cameron
25-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Very well done, Zoe :thumb: Was nice to see you at Easter :D

Nige
25-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Hey, don't worry about too many details ! its details that make these reports worth reading. :karl:

Not only did you drive a lap yourself, but it was without a passenger too ! well done :thumb:

Originally posted by Zoe Sherratt@Apr 25 2010, 10:47 AM
-All the passenger laps hadnít gone to waste, there was no point I didnít know where the track was going.
I worry that Matty and the passenger laps he's had will give him too much confidence when he takes to the track. We need to have a few Father-son talks before then ;)

Zoe Sherratt
25-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Lol I told Dad and Steve they weren't allowed out with me because having them with me would have made me so nervous because I would have it in my head they were judging me.

It was good to know where I was going as there was nothing unexpected and I think all my pax laps gave me a better respect for the track meaning I wasn't over confident with it :thumb:

Adamt
25-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Great report Zoe, glad you had fun and did your first lap :)

claire
25-04-2010, 04:23 PM
Well done you! :thumb: That will be one and a half laps more than I have ever done.
Glad you had fun. B)

Darren Langeveld
25-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Zoe Sherratt@Apr 25 2010, 10:47 AM
Just like to say thanks to Darren for helping me get home.
:thumb:

Crossle
25-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Apr 25 2010, 12:35 PM

I worry that Matty and the passenger laps he's had will give him too much confidence when he takes to the track. We need to have a few Father-son talks before then ;)
Don't worry Nige, I thought the same about Tom, but he handled his first TF laps last weekend like a natural, and then drove the Trackday on Monday like he'd been doing it for years!

And he actually listened to some of my advice....

Made his old Dad quite proud!

B)

autohabit
26-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Well done Zoe, I wish I'd had the chance to be lapping the Nurburgring just six months after passing my test!

This is just the start of the addiction I suspect.

When is Steve letting you out for a lap in the M3 then?

Karl
26-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Well done, Zoe, and it was great to see you both again :thumb:

Zoe Sherratt
26-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by autohabit@Apr 26 2010, 12:36 PM

This is just the start of the addiction I suspect.

When is Steve letting you out for a lap in the M3 then?
Already well addicted to the place I am afraid :thumb:

Steve promised I could drive his M3 when Dad let me drive his. I drove Dad's a while back but I still waiting for Steve to fulfill his promise :rolleyes:

orsonbuggy
27-04-2010, 11:45 AM
First laps done in bad weather :o you'll have learned well from that experience :thumb:

Interesting read - glad you enjoyed yourself :D

MrBean
27-04-2010, 09:57 PM
:thumb:

Simon
28-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Good work, Zoe :veryhappy:

Neil Mac
28-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Nice one, Zoe

Don't lose the fear, that's what keeps you safe :thumb:

Zoe Sherratt
28-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

I defiantly don't want to lose the fear or respect for the track. I know I have a lot to learn and I am already trying to improve on car control as I did my first driver training day at Carlimits yesterday with Andy. After a cracking day I have come home with a lot to think about and I am sure I will be going again, with what I learned yesterday it was worth its weight in gold :thumb: