PDA

View Full Version : Changing exhaust manifold on a 205

Gary Kinghorn
14-11-2006, 08:19 AM
Is it a cheap easy job or an expensive difficult one? Mine is pretty badly cracked so i'm picking up a new one at the moment. Just interested how easy or hard it's going to be for Arno to sort it?

I assume I will need a gasket too?

Gary

Simon
14-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Dunno. When mine cracked it was welded up & has been fine since :thumb:

I can imagine that it will be a bit of a pig as the heat around that area will well & truly seize the bolts up.

Have a quick word with a local tyre / exhaust depot, they must have seen a few & will have a good idea on the time / effort required.

Dave G
14-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Best to replace the manifold to head gasket, and if there is one, the manifold to downpipe gasket too. Especially if it's a pig of a job, you don't want a blowing gasket to waste more hours!

I imagine it's a pain on the 205, as it's back to front compared to a normal car! Up in the air is probably the solution. :thumb:

Simon
14-11-2006, 08:25 AM
^^^
can see why mine was welded now :lol:

Gary Kinghorn
14-11-2006, 08:35 AM
I have asked Arno to weld it the last 2 months but it hasn't happened so i'm giving up and putting a replacement on.

Uncle Benz
14-11-2006, 08:56 PM
The tiny french nuts holding the manifold to the head are notorious for rusting up and the studs then break when you try to shift them. This is why mechanics often weld them in situ.

If you shear them off, you will probably have to take the head off to remove the broken bits.

If you must change it, run the engine to get the nuts really hot, then use penetrating fluid (oo err). if they feel dodgy, use a tiny die grinder to cut through the sides of the nuts to release them.

If in doubt, leave them alone - and put that angle grinder away!!!!!!!!

Floyd
14-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Gary! Angle grinder! Eek! :whistle:

I'd do what Simon says :P

F

Gary Kinghorn
15-11-2006, 06:46 AM
I have a second hand manifold coming, I will see if Arno can weld the old one and if he can't make sure he has your comments to remove the old one.

Cheers Gareth

Gary

p1doc
08-12-2006, 03:54 PM
go on gary have a go yourself with an angle grinder,what is the worst that could happen :D
martin

Gary Kinghorn
08-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by p1doc@Dec 8 2006, 04:54 PM
go on gary have a go yourself with an angle grinder,what is the worst that could happen :D
martin
I have an extension lead but not a 500 mile one ....... ;)