PDA

View Full Version : VLN RACE REPORT 28/10/2006

jamiem
03-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Hi Everyone,

The latest race report is now on My Webpage (http://www.autegmotorsport.com)

Anyone who wants to race in the VLN next year please get in touch soon as we are getting booked up for race school places very quickly.

Best regards

Jamie Martin

Gary Kinghorn
03-11-2006, 06:44 AM
Well done Jamie, another good report

jacobyte
03-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Nice one Jamie. I guess a fuel tank is on the Christmas list then!

I met you briefly on Sunday, but didn't know it was you until you'd gone. You were talking to my sister and wife by the S4 when I turned up. Hope you had a good day.

We should be out there again in VLN and 24h next year in the M3 - with our 120 litre fuel tank :)

jamiem
03-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Hey Guys,

100 litre tank is def on the shopping list, that will give 20 laps at our fuel consumption rate.

:thumb:

jacobyte
03-11-2006, 08:56 AM
20 Laps on 100 litres!!! We only get 13 laps on 120 litres, but that's still better than the GT3s.

The Viper only gets 7 laps from a full tank :o

jamiem
03-11-2006, 09:03 AM
What are you driving?

jacobyte
03-11-2006, 09:54 AM
E46 M3 (Class SP6). We didn't race in 2006 as we were all busy running new businesses which meant we couldn't make time to get sponsors. But now that business is up and running properly, 2007 should be a good'un.

Euan
03-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Fantastic report Jamie and a great read - thanks for sharing, and one hell of a race!!

Intriguing to read about Calum's braking / corner technique - makes me think about getting more proper training myself as there are loads of areas to improve on. Calum sounds like he knows his stuff v well, and 15 seconds improvement in fastest lap is a significant improvement!!!

Interesting comment about Matador slicks last few races - we have run on them most races this season. I don't want to say much against them, as the guys who run the Matador truck and service at the VLN's are absolutely salt of the earth great guys! We concluded the Matadors are 15 seconds a lap slower than the Michelin slicks we ran in the first race after comparison. But you have to expect that for the price. All the drivers would rather run on Michelins given the choice, but when they're circa 400 Euros more per set and budget overall is tight for us, we stuck with Matador in our first season with the car. We had a similar 'wear' issue to you in the September race, so we need to think about this more carefully for next year. This was our rear tyre at the end of the Sept race. that was very worrying thiking about one more lap and a blow out at Dottinger Hohe for example :huh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v255/Euan1/AlpsJuly2006008.jpg

I feel for you on the 5 wet laps on slicks comment - wow. I've done one or two in morning qualifying and it's not pleasant. When you said you discussed with Calum and stayed out, does that mean you have car to pit communication in the car? That sounds like a nice plus :thumb:

Fuel tank - we've been running a 55 litre fuel tank this year, just to make you feel better ;) A bigger tank is also on the wish list for next year!

Anyway, great reports and great season! Trophies are always nice, I've yet to get one, but there's always next year to try again ;)

lasseoe
03-11-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Euan@Nov 3 2006, 09:58 PM
I feel for you on the 5 wet laps on slicks comment - wow. I've done one or two in morning qualifying and it's not pleasant. When you said you discussed with Calum and stayed out, does that mean you have car to pit communication in the car? That sounds like a nice plus :thumb:

Fuel tank - we've been running a 55 litre fuel tank this year, just to make you feel better ;) A bigger tank is also on the wish list for next year!

Anyway, great reports and great season! Trophies are always nice, I've yet to get one, but there's always next year to try again ;)
I'd be very interested to know more about what people use for communication systems, I'm sort of guessing that regular radio won't cut it due to the vast size of the Ring. The only other choice I've seen have been using GSM units, now that's expensive for a 6 hour race :)

Euan, would we even be allowed to replace the fuel tank?

I'd like to add datalogging to the wishlist (among a million other things) :-)

jamiem
06-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi Guys,

Interesting your matadoor's did the same thing as ours. You definately pay for what you get with tyres.

We use Autocom for our car to pit communication. Its not expensive - about 400 for all the gear, we don't use radio's, we use Mobiles on Pay as you go sims. It costs about 20 euros a race and the quality is perfect.

I often get calls during a stint from people in England and have even given my lawyers instructions one time whilst I was racing!!!! hehehehe! The phone is put on auto answer and is plugged into my helmet, so I just talk and can hear perfectly except when at high speed.

Jamie.

Nige
06-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Great report, not wanting to take anything away from Calums skill, but did you think the Michelins were noticeably quicker than the Matador`s? Just wondering as you set your fastest lap, the car did its fastest lap and that was with the Michelins on.

Most of us will never get near to `proper` racing, so having these in depth reports is something I look forward to reading, and I read every word. Although I still copy and paste into Word as I cant read the gray on white very well, like I said last time, I`m getting old ;)

Looking forward to next years exploits.

Nige.

Steve Gill
06-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Great write up :thumb:

Simon
07-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Good report Jamie :thumb:

Andrew
07-11-2006, 08:08 AM
Nice report :)

jamiem
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Guys,

Nige - Sorry for the grey writing! My web guys are very precious about their design so I haven't got them to change it through fear of pissing them off!! I work them real hard you see and the Auteg site was put together on the side so I can't be to choosy!

MICHELINS:

They are the most expensive and where well known to be the fastest slicks in the VLN this year. Some people say that the Dunlops are just as good and I believe that too. The Michelins did have a lot to do with the lap time's and I am sure I could have got into the high 10.20's given another few dry laps. To put in really fast laps you have to be ultra agressive with other traffic, hold up faster cars in some corners and basicly drive like the devil. I don't drive like that unless I am fighting for position which is why we did not crash or have any mechanical failer or any DNF's this year. Thats how you get a good result in your group.

Next year I will probably run on Dunlops as they are 120 euro cheaper per slick than the Michelins 200/50/15

Jamie.

Dave Malings
07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
How much does a slick cost in that size?

Michelin
Matador
Dunlop

If a slick can be 120 euro cheaper, they much be expensive!

jamiem
07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Michelin 285
Dunlop 160
Matadoor 120

GVK
09-11-2006, 06:13 AM
Great report Jamie, hope Colin is mending well too btw :thumb:

jamiem
09-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Thanks GVK :thumb: