PDA

View Full Version : 475km on the Ring in a day...

Cheburator
26-10-2006, 11:29 AM
The outlook for the weather looked reasonable, thus I decided to make the wekeend of the 21-22 October my last outing at the Ring for this year. A quick phone call to Nick - Mental Orange 928 GTS and Matt - Grey Golf Mk2 16v, another 10mins on the Eurotunnel website and we were sorted.

I am really beginning to like these 1.5 day weekends - leave Blighty at 7am on Saturday, drive at a leisurely pace to the Ring, arrive for a pizza at Pinocchio and drive the whole afternoon. Stay the whole of Sunday and come back on the last Shuttle...

As you all know, plans rarely go without changes. I could not drive at all on Saturday as I got stuck in Koln collecting stuff for my brother. By the time I got to the carpark, the track was closed because of a BMW spilling oil and coolant from the Karussel to Hoche Acht :angry: The closure was a lengthy one, so we headed back to Edgar's where we changed and hit Adenau. La Fontana have good beer and grappa :thumb: and the Schnitzel has real pork meat in it :P

Sunday - woke up to sunshine and insane desire to hit the track straight away. Gulped my breakfast, topped the oil, checked coolant and said a quick prayer to the God of all things mechanical - my diff had a radial play of 1.5mm :angry: and is due a rebuilt, having covered well over 220,000 miles.

Went out on a quiet track, where I did a slow, sighting lap. I was struck by the beauty of the place - it was as if I almost did not want to go quicker so that I would have time to enjoy the colours and the light. Soon though, I began to push a little bit, working my line through individual sections.

Having a quiet track was a bonus - I think I finally managed to get a good line through Hatzenbach - it felt smooth, the car's suspension being loaded at the correct times, biting into the corners... Schwedenkreuz also felt good :whistle: But Breidscheid still scares the beJesus out of me :gay:

Took a break around 10-ish and what a break it was! Went out for 2 laps with Fabian in the 318iS... Feck, that I was the most fun I have had for a long while...

Back to lapping - this time Nick joined in his 928, but we only managed one lap as his coil decided to call it a day and his 928 was running on 4 cylinders. It was funny to think that even running on 4 cylinders, his car was still pumping around 190bps - around 50 more than Matt's Golf Mk2 16v :rolleyes:

The highlight of the day was being able to keep up with a GT3 and the mental Belgian Volvo Turbo :whistle: I just went on and on, not even taking a break for lunch. Clearly the God of all mechanical things was keeping a close eye on me for two reasons : The diff held out and on my last lap of the day, which also proved to be the quickest I have ever done, my front brakes disappeared. Literally!!! :whistle: By the time I got to Ring Racing I had no friction material left and you could see the rivets on the backing plates... Had to use the handbrake to slow down :whistle:

Incidently, I had a look at the auxiliary kilometer reader whilst I was leaving the Ring. Having re-set it at 8am that Sunday morning, it was reading 480km. Take away the two visits to Ed to fill up twice, that makes it 23 laps in a day... Not bad for late October I reckon...

The trip back was uneventful apart from hitting the limiter in 5th on the 555 autobahn, but that's another story...

Dave G
26-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Cool, good stuff.

I saw the Porker there, and assumed it was just checks being carried out. :(

Great day Sunday. :thumb:

I managed 23 laps over the weekend, which was pretty good. I've never done anywhere near that before. :)

Expensive, but great fun weekend. :D

p1doc
26-10-2006, 11:48 AM
i would look forward to 20+ laps in a weekend but so far not managed ,10 max so far :( next year....
martin
ps great succinct report

Andrew
26-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Cheburator@Oct 26 2006, 12:29 PM
The highlight of the day was a mental Belgian Volvo Turbo :whistle:
OOO tell me more about the Volvo, I am intrigued? :)

Karl
26-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Nice report :thumb:

Cheburator
26-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Andy@Oct 26 2006, 12:57 PM
OOO tell me more about the Volvo, I am intrigued? :)
That's my chariot...

http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/touri06/touri061022/images/2282-0877.jpg

And that's the Belgian mentalist...

http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/touri06/touri061022/images/2282-0878.jpg

With many thanks to mw-sportfoto.de

Dave G
26-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Think I remember seeing your car.

Did you see the blue 968? That was moving! :thumb:

Andrew
26-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Nice Volvo. It is a 850 T5-R FYI. The ride height looks stock, they are 240hp @ crank out of the factory but a simple remap will see 300hp. Most owners of 'high performance' Volvo's keep them looking stock though, so could be realistically up too 400hp :D

Ryan W
26-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Was your mate Golf a Mk2 GTi with some graphics on it?

I had a great bit of fun with him if it was, well until my brakes gave up the fight... So embarassing when over taking someone and then having to let them go back past you :shame:

Ryan

Karl
26-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Andy, what's a T5 Summun?

Karl
26-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Like this one
http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich...111111208463911 (http://www.mobile.de/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&sr_qual=GN&id=11111111208463911)

Sorry for the hijack <_<

Andrew
26-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Karl@Oct 26 2006, 02:30 PM
Andy, what&#39;s a T5 Summun?
As far as i am aware, it is a specification like S-Line to Audi, or Highline to VW :).

Steve Gill
26-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Cheburator@Oct 26 2006, 02:21 PM
That&#39;s my chariot...
I recognise the car - didn&#39;t you drive up to the barrier when the track was closed ;)

It was a good weekend, I know what you mean about Hohe Acht, I was taking it really easy going through there as it looked pretty slippy&#33; :thumb:

Cheburator
26-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Andy@Oct 26 2006, 01:28 PM
Nice Volvo. It is a 850 T5-R FYI. The ride height looks stock, they are 240hp @ crank out of the factory but a simple remap will see 300hp. Most owners of &#39;high performance&#39; Volvo&#39;s keep them looking stock though, so could be realistically up too 400hp :D
[little Britain mode on]

Yeah, I know...

[little Britain mode off]

Deffo a modded car as you don&#39;t see many Volvos, even T5-Rs with "afterburners " during over-run... Also I could not outdrag him - both of us nailing it out of Brunchen II at the same time, and the only way I gained on him is by underbraking thanks to my better brakes...

Cheburator
26-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ryhound@Oct 26 2006, 01:29 PM
Was your mate Golf a Mk2 GTi with some graphics on it?

I had a great bit of fun with him if it was, well until my brakes gave up the fight... So embarassing when over taking someone and then having to let them go back past you :shame:

Ryan
yep, that was Matt in his "CLUB SPORT" tagged Golf :gay: He was a bit slow because the car apparently did not handle very well :whistle: this weekend...

Steve, you must have seen another 928 drive to the barrier when the track was closed :ph43r: :whistle: There was no sign iniitially if you remember... :huh:

Steve Gill
26-10-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Cheburator@Oct 26 2006, 03:31 PM
Steve, you must have seen another 928 drive to the barrier when the track was closed :ph43r: :whistle: There was no sign iniitially if you remember... :huh:
:lol: :thumb:

Yip you&#39;re right, it was waiting to happen as they hadn&#39;t put the barriers out blocking the way :D

Andrew
30-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Cheburator@Oct 26 2006, 03:28 PM
Deffo a modded car as you don&#39;t see many Volvos, even T5-Rs with "afterburners " during over-run... Also I could not outdrag him - both of us nailing it out of Brunchen II at the same time, and the only way I gained on him is by underbraking thanks to my better brakes...
http://www.jcviggen.com/

I have found the car and person in question. It has indeed been modified Ferrita 3" downpipe (no cat), Volvo/Remus 2.75" exhaust, Blitz DSBC Spec R, Stock 15G with straight 16T turbine housing, BSR optiflow air filter est power 325hp @ crank.

:thumb:

Andrew
31-10-2006, 09:48 AM
vid: http://www.jcviggen.com/ring/ring.avi