PDA

View Full Version : fairly recent ring trip

Das Chin
20-10-2006, 10:26 PM
hi there chaps and just new to here upon recommendation from a few mates who race a golf in the VLN.

first outing in the new M3 CSL and can report back that it is one very capable car and way beyond my mere capabilities. we went out on the 8th october and then came back on the monday (10th)

The CSL not so much traction as the 911 and a bit more edgy under braking but so much more playable and with some real poke for the uphill bits of the ring. faultless on the Mway and was getting some good mpg at 90 to 95 mph = 30!!

I have to say it was very packed on the sunday and lots of loonies out there after lunch so it was nice to go out early and late. Weather was ideal as dry and cool though still damp in some key places in the morning so you had to be very careful not to be off line.

shut quite a lot as five shunts on one lap and I can only hope the lady that rolled her corrado at schwedenkreuz some 6 times is ok as she looked in a bad bad way! she was flying and went past us approaching the flugplatz (we were doing nearly 130!!) but demise was near....did not have time to stop then but had to further round as another shunt at Bergwerk!

some really good driving when viewing at Breunchen as well as Pflanzgarten and it was good to see some of the VLN cars in action as you realise how quick they are! even the clios!

last lap was ruined by some guy from Essen in a 3.2 A3 quattro...he blocked the GT3 first in the tight left before Hatzenbach and then proceeded to try and out pace us all the way through...from the first entrance he was out of shape and then the rest of the corners compromised. even to the point of being on the grass, throwing mud onto the track and over my car! best stay away from him then!!

just some crazy crazy driving and I was never sure he would move over or turn into us!! we got him before nikki lauda curve only for him to try and come sailing through at bergwerk. I have never seen such bad manners out there!! he did have some good ish lines through hohe acht and wipperman but he finally gave up trying by Planzgarten as he nearly rolled it into the kitty litter!

just goes to show what some people are prepared to do out there to show some ego and keep a so called quicker car behind! me i just wanted to have some fun, learn some better lines and get home in one piece!

met some cracking new peeps out there including the Irish boys who hired the C2 Cab from Koln airport and then ragged the nuts of it for 3 days. at 200 (yes TWO HUNDRED) euros per day with a 1000 euro excess if you smash it then it seems very tempting as opposed to taking your own car there!

if you look at pistonheads it looks like they got a 2 grand bill fortheir time as got spotted there so got some wear and tear charges on the 911. dubious actions from avis but you could argue not in the spirit of the agreement!

Pitsonklause was packed as usual but the steak on the stone was as fine as ever and we did mange to get our names on the wall which was quite an effort with the hawkeyed owner! we had to convince him in german that we were part of the VLM team from saturday's prac tise!

my digi cam gave up the ghost on the ferry out so no pics but some on www.pikeynet.com as well as PH I am sure.

NW

IanHowell
20-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Hi there,

Welcome to the site :thumb:

I was there that same weekend, I know what you mean about the activities of some there that weekend. :blink:

I have heard stories about the rental companies checking on the photo sites etc for their cars, which is why I got a DRT to play with. Thats is some bill to pay up :(

I was in a black 200sx, hopefully didn't upset anyone that weekend.... except my Girlfriend who couldn't get the time off to come over :whistle:

Ian

IanHowell
20-10-2006, 10:38 PM
ps: check out the video and photo sections for photos, you may find you are on some,

Ian

Das Chin
21-10-2006, 08:00 AM
thanks Ian and it seems like a good crowd on here.

unlike some other forums where there are too many egos and too much money flying around. :argue:

I think we may have crossed paths on track but all in good faith.

is yours the first version with pop up lights?

shame about the GF but hardly the place for her at the ring? mine categorically refuses to go out and has no interest in cars or being in one on track so a relief i guess.

it was a busy day and some antics to be expected but the A3 was a piece of work. we just stayed out of the way as a mistake was only just round the corner!

off to bedford today to see how the std brakes hold up....not long me thinks! so time for better pads, hoses and fluids me thinks.

Dave Malings
21-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Das Chin@Oct 21 2006, 09:00 AM
unlike some other forums where there are too many egos and too much money flying around. :argue:
If you have too much money, then you're not going to the ring enough.

IanHowell
21-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Das Chin@Oct 21 2006, 09:00 AM
is yours the first version with pop up lights?

shame about the GF but hardly the place for her at the ring? mine categorically refuses to go out and has no interest in cars or being in one on track so a relief i guess.

Yes it is the S13 model with the pop ups :D

Big Kid, had to have pop ups :lol:

The girlfriend has been with me for every trip I have been on till this one, due to company not allowing her the time off :angry:

Actually she is a very good driver, knows how to handle a car and is as big a petrol head as I am! :o

She has also driven the Ring a few times already and can't wait to have a go in the Nissan (only had it a few weeks).

She is also a member on here so be careful :whistle:

Ian

Gary Kinghorn
22-10-2006, 08:55 AM
Hi Das Chin, how you doing?

I was there that weekend too. I took a few on track pictures, but non of UK CSL's. I assume yours is UK registered?

Gary

Nige
22-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Das Chin@Oct 21 2006, 08:00 AM
My Wife hasnt a great interst in cars, but loves being at the ring for the experience, meeting people and watching and taking photos. Shoe doesnt particularly like laps but loves going .....

JudeM
22-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Das Chin@Oct 21 2006, 08:00 AM

shame about the GF but hardly the place for her at the ring?
Clare may have something to say about this as well :whistle:

Next time you're at the ring ask her for a PAX lap!!

Girls can drive (SABINE!!!) and I'm very glad that generally on this site such comments do not arise :nono:

Root admin
22-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Blimey Das Chin, you're walking a tight rope here with your views. :nono:

Clare
P.s. I am Admin on here and set this site up! ;)

Das Chin
23-10-2006, 12:31 PM
easy folks and each to their own

i just meant my missus is not into it at all. everytime I have seen a woman in the car park. every bloke seems to be leering at her and nudging his mate!

did see one fine lady in her clio cup out at the ring so fair play to her. bit of a mobile chicane coming into galgenkopf and I think she was on a cooling part of the lap.

just seems a bit of a blokey hang out but then some like that.

my mate pikey's missus got bred with all the closures and plonked herself in a spa for the afternoon. fair play!!

** and when did I say women can't drive in my post? I think you made that up in your heads!! women in fact make better drivers as they tend to listen to what instructors say and then carry it out...

VBH and Sabine are fine drivers. never said they were not! just meant to say that 99.95% of women would probbaly prefer to do sth else than a ring trip!

won't say any more on that then.

Dave Malings
23-10-2006, 12:45 PM
did see one fine lady in her clio cup out at the ring so fair play to her. bit of a mobile chicane coming into galgenkopf and I think she was on a cooling part of the lap.

won't say any more on that then.

:lol: :lol: When was this

Gary Kinghorn
23-10-2006, 01:12 PM
:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

The words life in own hands springs to mind

Nige
23-10-2006, 01:25 PM
I`m waiting and hoping he posts the dates of daves last trip ! ;-)

Root admin
23-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Hmm..... Still not reassured

Simon
23-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Oct 23 2006, 02:25 PM
I`m waiting and hoping he posts the dates of daves last trip ! ;-)
lol :lol: