PDA

View Full Version : Ian's Trip Report 7th - 10th Oct

IanHowell
11-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Not greatest at doing these but promised I would try and do a write up......

.....so here goes.

October Trip Photos (http://ian-howell.fotopic.net/c1107784.html)

Treated myself to an upgrade in my DRT from a Golf Gti Mk2 to a Nissan 200sx.
Wanted more power and rear wheel drive. :D

http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/touri06/touri061008/images/1616-0141.jpg

Before I left got it checked over by the Guy that worked on my Golf (Andy at PSI tuning, Newcastle Staffs).
Decided to put new brakes on the front, standard discs but Red Stuff pads as an upgrade. Went over the car and checked the obvious points but all looked ok.

All was done as a favour to me and I wanted to thank him for the effort he put in for me. :thumb:

Went down to stay with my Brother in Kent Friday night, arriving at 12.30am with a loud rumble, the exhaust on this thing came off my local gas mains I think
Crashed out and awoken at 7am by my niece, nephew and Sister-in-law telling me I had woken her up when I arrived - oopps :whistle:

So, off to the ferry terminal and 5 miles from Dover and I hear a popping sound and the car looses power, pull over and the intercooler pipe had come off due to high pressure (no dump valve).

Quick fix with a multi-tool and off I go again.... get about a mile and off it comes again.
Another fix, bit more time spent and arrive at Ferry terminal 45mins before sailing, at 10am
Starting to worry that car might not make it but got on ferry and had a full english anyway.

Realised that you add an hour on part way through crossing and not take off and suddenly I have 2 hrs less to get to the Ring! :o

Set off from Dunkerque and dad a great run over through Belgiium, Holland and Germany. Weather looked good, traffic clear, foot down

Arrived in Nurburg at 4.30pm, staying at the Lindenhoff, dropped bags off and went to the Ringhaus to see if Nicks (Leavingeasy) group were there. Sure enough they were, introduced myself as not met most of them in person before except Gary.

Talked for a bit then off to the Ring.

Unfortunately the track didn't open till ~6:30pm, so only chance to get a couple of laps in.
First one, the intercooler pipe comes off again just after adenau forest but fixed and finished the lap.
Second lap, clutch starts slipping and pipe comes off again, pull off at Breidsheid and go back to the B&B. Starting to think the whole weekend is ruined

Meet up at the PK with the others, including Ross and Gemma also from N/L.

The Stag group turned up and we had a great evening eating, drinking and generally talking rubbish.

Did blatently go begging for PAX laps in the 993 and Aston V8 amongst everyone else!!

Spoke to Gareth (uncle benz) about the 200sx he said he had heard it slipping, agreed to have a look at it in the morning.

Up early and down to the Ringhaus to find Gareth was still asleep, Nick TOLD me to go and wake him up as they were off to the track!!

Which I did.........

.....not sure Gareth was too happy with me though :whistle:

Jim came and had a look at the pipe and said it was just a jubilee clip fix which he did for me, then Gareth came down and had a look at the clutch, no oil leaks so we just turned the boost down fom 15 PSI to 11 PSI.
No more problems were had for the rest of the weekend, can't thank them enough for their help

(not buying them a watch or a holiday to Portugal though :lol: )

Ther rest of the day was spent taking it easy with my car and getting a few laps to see what needs improvin: tyres, uprated clutch, dump valve, bucket seats, harness to start with... better sell that kidney now!!

Usual exotica there...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3319.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3314.jpg

Plus other lovely cars;

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3296.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3265.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3253.jpg

Got a lap with Simon in his STI, nice and smooth, quick too. unfortunately some numpty didn't like him being quicker and blocked him a bit throwing a stone up and cracking his screen. :jerk:
Only got the Northloop sun visor on a week before!

Got a couple of laps in with Nick in his Seven, made it round on both laps without braking down, in fact it went quite well, well enough as he already posted to upset the Ring Taxi.
We also had a moment at quiddlebacher hohe when someone in front of us overtook the car in front of him without checking the mirrors, 3 abreast was interesting, adrenaline was very brown and runny at that moment :blink:

Finally got the lap in the Aston V8... oh my god what a soundtrack!!! :affection:

good lap except for another numpty in a white scooby at breidsheid not wanting to be overtaken by us. :jerk:
Thanks to Daren for an experience I will remember for ever.

Only had one exciting moment in front of me happen on the fisrt miss of miss-hit-miss (or 3 fast rights).
Had a biker that looked a little nervous leading upto this section. He suddenly sat up up, put both hands up in the air as if someone was pointing a gun at him, seemed to fall off the bike and let it slide into the barrier. :o Brakes and hazards on very quickly, out with the yellow flag and top and started slowing traffic as the guy following me pulled up to check the biker. After about 5 mins the guy managed to get his bike down to adenau and we carried on our way.

Usual stopages throught the day but all in all a great day.

Off to the Chinese in Adenau in the evening for a great meal as mentioned on Gary's report, I was a nominated driver and took Ross and Gemma down and back.
Great place to go and very good value.
Back to the PK ror a late drink and look at some of the photos, which I very cheekily copied form Gary on to my laptop :shame:

I stayed on for the Monday, having a lazy start as the track didn't open till 1pm. As the car had ran well the day before I had a few more laps out in her, some of them on video which I will load up soon.

Thanks to Nigel Pinder for the loan of the camcorder and bullet cam :thumb:
(not that I condone in car filming on the Ring!) :o

Saw Sabine filming for her TV show I believe using a yellow Lotus Exige!
On one of the laps with Juan we say it had pulled over to let her cute blonde passenger throw up over the armco at klostertal (last right before the Karousell). Wonder what the bill for that is?? :D

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3286.jpg

Took Ross and Gemma out on PAX laps as they couldn't drive themselves :whistle:

Met Steve Walker in his Clio, chatted a bit then had a follow my leader lap behind him, great fun and very smooth drive. Worked oiut it was his 666th lap :o
Not surprisingly the camera stopped working!!

Got a lap out with Juan in his black STI, great lap, also on video, until we had an issue with the fuel level near the end of the lap, still came in at 8.51 BTG

Followed Rachel out in the STI with Juan as co-driver, with Gemma as a passenger. Filmed from behind until she had a little incident at hatzenbach :whistle:
we decided to leave them to it and carry on past them.
If Rachel lets me I can post the clip.

Had a final lap on my owm following Juan with Rachel, Ross and Gemma as passengers in the Scooby. I think it was a 9.12 BTG which I was more than pleased with having crappy front tyres, lowered boost and taking it a little easy on the clutch. Hope to drop that to late 8's next year!

The track got closed by one of the Red uk Ferrari 360's crashing just after the mini karousell (I think it may have been a Challenge Stradale, or at least looked like it)
Driver ok I believe but not sure as to the car, can't quite tell on the bullet cam.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3258.jpg

Went to the PK with Ross and Gemma, onion soup and Fillet on the Stone with fries!
Watched some of the videos on the big plasma.

Up early and drive back for the 2pm ferry, saw the yellow S3 as I got off the ferry that had been at the Ring. Acknowledged each other before going seperate ways home.
Got home for 7pm! (shattered)

Great trip great people and great fun!:thumb:

Made possible by Northloop, without the site and the people on it would have been a bit lonely I think. Meant I could go out on my own (Girlfriend couldn't get time off)

Big thanks and hello to;

Nick, (leavingeasy)
Gareth, (Uncle benz)
Jim,
Gary, (Gutman Pug)
Simon,
Ross & Gemma
Juan & Rachel
Stag do group, Darren, Paul, Simon etc

Also met;

The Welsh contingent - Team Banana car
Guy in the Red RX7 - smoking alot, not the driver but the car! couldn't be bothered to remove some oil, easier to let it burn off apparently
Clio group in the PK on the Monday night.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3281.jpg

And a few others generally chatting around the car park.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3282.jpg

I am sure there were other things that happened and will add them as I remember them.

If you got this far well done, you are either brave or stupid :thumb:

Ian.
ps. Sorry about any of the spelling mistakes I am still tired.

Moderaters, feel free to use this on the Northloop site.

Nige
11-10-2006, 06:34 PM
still a good report, evun wif te spellink mishtakez

IanHowell
11-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Oct 11 2006, 07:34 PM
still a good report, evun wif te spellink mishtakez
GIT :D

Dave G
11-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Good report Ian.

Any pics? :whistle:

Uncle Benz
11-10-2006, 06:46 PM
Top report chap. Keep me posted on the outcome of the 'was that a new clutch' debate.

IanHowell
11-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Pics added just
:thumb:

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 07:04 PM
:thumb: Top man Ian, how warm was it sat in the sun strapped into the seven waiting for the track to re-open!

Great weekend mate and I look forward to a few laps with you once the SX is up to full health again!

"Made you wake up UB"????? yeah fair cop!

Oakie

Dave G
11-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Nice pics.

Those Morgans are uggggllyyy!

:D

TC17
11-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi

It was my mates Ferrari that took an early exit at the mini karasell, Driver OK, car not so OK.

Will be recovered home this week, however he had the pleasure of paying a 3,800 (Euro) armco repair bill before leaving.

By the way, it is not a Challenge 360, although it does have the suspension upgrade (dampers, anti-roll bars), Magnesium Challange wheels with the sport pack (Cage, Seats etc) and F1 box.

Regarding your photo's, can't believe you missed taking a pic of my car, after all it is the envy of the car park :P (968 Club Sport, red with black cup 1's).

Cheers

Tony

IanHowell
11-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Wouldn't happen to be the one in this shot would it :whistle:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/ianh26/Nurburgring/IMG_3283.jpg

Ian

TC17
11-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi Ian

You're right :rolleyes:

Need to take these dam dark glasses off B)

Cheers

Tony

Andrew
11-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Nice write up, and great pics :)

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 09:36 PM
TC17,

You were on the ferry going out with us- I was admiring your 968, looked bloody lovely!! :affection:

Didnt see you around the track tho, guess we just kept missing each other, shame as I would have loved a lap in it!

Nick

Karl
12-10-2006, 06:52 AM
Those bloody Brits in the red 968 and various Ferraris spent most of the weekend blocking the entire bus parking bay outside the Blaue Ecke in Adenau and little old ladies (whose husbands fought hard in the war) had to walk into the street to get on their bus :angry: :whistle: :lol:

Floyd
12-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Great report :thumb: Lots of info on lappage and incidents, which seem to be lacking of late. Some reports have too much info on drinkage. I like travel to bits as well. Nice pics :thumb:

F

dasilvia
12-10-2006, 07:33 AM
great report, i wish i could write a report , containing more than 2 setences.
Good to see you enjoyed your new ring-tool.

Danny

Simon
12-10-2006, 07:56 AM
Ian, good to meet you & a cracking report :thumb: . Nice that you thought my lap smooth as I never had chance to show Gareth that I was as the track shut when we were about to go out.

You car will be a cracking drt i recon, will be good to see how you & Tony get on with them next year.

JudeM
12-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Lovely report, very jealous I missed out this time, especially the Aston Lap, still very green. Not going on your own again :whistle:

Look forward to meeting a few people I missed this time in London

Jude

Juanjo
12-10-2006, 06:26 PM
Hi everybody,

just to say thank you to all of you friends, Rachel and me had a good weekend, finally arriving home at 2 am Tuesday, after 4 speed camera flashes (in Switzerland) and being kept by the gendarmes for half an hour between Lausanne and Geneva. they couldn't fine me because they had no speed gun, but they tried hard...

It was a great weekend, sunny weather all along (who sent those pesimistic weather reports?), I managed to fix all the electronics and finally I can monitor all the ECU parameters during a lap or to have the GPS timing instead...
the car run with no problems, except (again!) pad deposits that made the brakes vibrate a lot on Monday.
Nevertheless we managed to record some nice video laps (thanks Ian, and yes you have permission to post including Rachel's mini stunt at Hatzelbach... JUST GUYS dont give the wheel to your girlfriends...) and I managed a 8m35 BtG lap despite some traffic and the Ferrari accident at mini-karoussel. The car is definetely so much faster after the Ecutek upgrade, that I could even consider switching from "agressive rally driving" to "efficient track driving" one of these days...

Next step to find a solution for the brakes and next spring new suspension, as I see Simon's car leans a lot less than mine on corners.

I see you next spring for the new Ring session, we keep in touch,

Juanjo (and Rachel)

TC17
13-10-2006, 05:43 PM
Hi Nick

Thanks for the compliment on the car.

Yes, shame we did not actually chat over the weekend, I would have been more than happy to take you out for a lap or two.

Car went really well albeit slight exhaust blow which was repaired at Ring Racing on Sunday morning.

Unlikely I will be back there this year but will be going at least 3 times next year (April, July / August and October).

If you are over at the same time your more than welcome to a passenger lap next year.

Did you see the babe in the Red Clio ;) If her driving was as good as she looked, she would hold the lap record :P

No offence to anyone if it is your Misses :)

Karl, great comment about the parking :lol:

Cheers

Tony

GVK
15-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Nice report Ian :thumb:

jon_r
16-10-2006, 12:59 PM
Nice report Ian, I was with the Clio lot in the Pistonklause on the Monday (and Thursday) evening. Was enjoyable watching the laps! The guys in the Audi I'd never met before but were really nice chaps - they were at our table on the Monday evening.

Tony, nice 968! :D Ill tell Audrey (Girl in the Clio Trophy) you said that ;)

Had a great weekend, was only a passenger (last time!) but had 5 laps driving, think a few were well under 9 mins but didn't time this time. Monday was definatly the best day. Track was perfect in the afternoon.

Seriously thinking about going again in a few weeks time, but if not ill be there next year again.

Jon

waddock
16-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Ian,

Nice to see the pictures and a wicked write up on your web site..... I was one of the 3 cars you took a photo of..... Red RX7 FD3 (mine), Purple 200sx S14A (my bro's who is now called Armco Sam after a slight off on the 3rd lap).... Green TVR Chimera (My mate El's) who some how made it all the way there and back with out breaking down once........ :P

Did you get any more photos? I think we have a few of your 200sx going round.... We satyed at the Hotel near the 2nd entrance to the ring... So we had a good few of the ring action .... Sounds a bit gay ;)

Hope we see you out there again.... We are planning a return for some time in the new year.. (Feb / March) ill check the website and see if you have anything planned.... In fact we are trying to get a bit of a group convoy for the next run... (Get more tools in the cars that way ;) )

Bye

Ben

'94 Red RX7 FD3 / '06 Honda S2000

Gary Kinghorn
16-10-2006, 07:35 PM
This the chimp?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3218.jpg

IanHowell
16-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by waddock@Oct 16 2006, 08:29 PM
Ian,

Did you get any more photos? I think we have a few of your 200sx going round.... We satyed at the Hotel near the 2nd entrance to the ring... So we had a good few of the ring action .... Sounds a bit gay ;)

Hope we see you out there again.... We are planning a return for some time in the new year.. (Feb / March) ill check the website and see if you have anything planned.... In fact we are trying to get a bit of a group convoy for the next run... (Get more tools in the cars that way ;) )

Bye

Ben

'94 Red RX7 FD3 / '06 Honda S2000

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the Site :thumb:

All the Photos I took are hosted, but have a look at Gary's photos as he looks he may have some more...

look here --> Gary's Photos (http://www.northloop.co.uk/images/nurburgring/oct7-8_2006/index.htm)

Would it be possible to host or email me any photos you have of the 200sx please :rolleyes:

As for the next year, I am waiting for the times to be released, along with many others on here!
As soon as they are, there will be someone going out probably every weekend through from March to Oct from the forum.

I am planning to go over for at least 4 long weekends, March/April, May Bank holiday, July and August Bank Holiday. I will look to fit in another 2 or 3 short weekends in between as well - yes I have a bad case of Ringworm :blink:

Ian

Tony
16-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Great report Ian :thumb: Makes me realise how much I have missed it this year. Need to make amends next season - especially if my DRT is running properly ;)

T

IanHowell
16-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Juanjo@Oct 12 2006, 07:26 PM

Nevertheless we managed to record some nice video laps (thanks Ian, and yes you have permission to post including Rachel's mini stunt at Hatzelbach... JUST GUYS dont give the wheel to your girlfriends...)

Juanjo (and Rachel)
Here is the little moment Rachel had in the Subaru..

Scooby moment (http://videos.streetfire.net/video/400a12c0-5d26-41ce-b38a-985c01221ee8.htm)

Worked ok in explorer but played up in Firefox :unsure:

Ian

Tony
16-10-2006, 10:01 PM
:lol: :lol: LOL

If you're going to fook up - don't do it on someone else's video :whistle:

T

Dave Malings
17-10-2006, 05:25 AM
Wooo!

Did Rachel forget which part of the track she was at? Only braked after she'd entered the corner :o

AlexR
17-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi All,

We were in the PK every night over 7/8/9 Oct, so we must have seen you!

Pikey's Pics (http://www.pikeynet.com/06/10/07/index.html)

Ross's Pics (http://picasaweb.google.com/ross.pierrepont/NurbrgringOctober2006)

I can sympathise with Rachel, as Hocheichen was very slippy all day.

Cheers,

Alex (white Integra)

leavingeasy
17-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Nice pic! That's me and Ian H just about to be overtaken by the Ring Taxi- that car is mighty fast in a straight line!

http://www.pikeynet.com/06/10/07/slides/04179.JPG