PDA

View Full Version : Garys Oct 7th - 9th trip report

Gary Kinghorn
10-10-2006, 06:44 PM
The three weeks in Portugal trip ........
Saturday
Uncle Benz collected Gary at 5.45am from near his brothers house in Chatham.
Catching up with Leavingeasy and Simon with the Passat towing his Caterham in Dover. It was funny seeing the Caterham being towed by the VW while Gary Gareth and Jimmy drove in the luxury of the Mercedes ML ;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3095.jpg
A nice steady trip down, Gareth (Uncle Benz) taking every opportunity to tell Gary and Jimmy about his 3 week trip to Portugal :whistle:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3099.jpg
An easy trip and straight to Adenau to collect the pug. SteveW’s clio was sat outside the garage obviously waiting to be collected and used in anger.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3210.jpg
Arno appeared to be having a party in his office come bar, the only thing he didn’t have turned on was the disco lights. He did put the smoke machine on though and insisted the guys stop for a quick beer. Arno was already half drunk and therefore unable to discuss the most recent 205 bill :whistle:
Back to the ring haus where the weary looking passengers of the passat had just arrived.
There was time to have a look at the Castrol cup race which was going on in the afternoon. The guys drove to Hatzenbach and managed to see the top of a white car on the track as they got out of their cars. That was the only car they saw, the race had just finished. Great project management
Ross and Gemma arrived in their nicely prepared VR6, more about them in a while.
Uncle Benz discussed his Portugal trip :whistle:
Up to the track to wait and wait and wait for it to open. As is usual with evening opening after a race day the time to get the carnage off the circuit took longer than expected. The track finally opened at around 6.20 and the usual scrabble to get on-track occurred.
Gary managed 2 dry laps before the track closed at 6.50pm. With the weather being as unpredictable as it had been the thought was that they would probably be the only dry laps of the weekend.
Back to the Ring Haus to test a beer, as it appeared to be nice, a few more were sampled. Leavingeasy had managed 2 full laps, almost a new Nick record. His times clearly showing that the Caterham was capable of managing a sub 8 minute lap

Uncle Benz discussed his Portugal trip :whistle:
Ross discussed his first lap in the VR6 and how an E30 beemer (clutter :whistle: ) drifted into him at Brunchen damaging his front wheel and wing slightly. After a chat in the car park the two drivers decided to walk away on a knock for knock basis. Uncle Benz and Gary discussed with Ross and Gemma how a roll cage should be Ross’s next modification before he did anything else to the VR6. That will be more relevant later in this report.
The rest of the stag party arrived in their cars. A new Aston, a very nice 993 and a Boxter S.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3114-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3186.jpg
Everyone went down to the Pistenklause for a well deserved meal and plenty of chat. They were joined by Ian Howel fellow Northloop member. Perhaps leavingeasy will tell everyone about his red Capri with furry dashboard? :jerk:
Patrizio insisted that Gary put a signed picture of the 205 on his wall of fame. As a stroke of luck Gary had a signed framed photo with him so it was easy to sort out :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3455.jpg
Uncle Benz discussed his Portugal trip :lol: and the night ended around 1am

SUNDAY
Gary was up early and nipped to T13 to take a few pictures of the track prior to it opening and breakfast. This proved to be just about far enough away from the Ring Haus not to be able to hear Jimmy’s snoring <_< :thumb:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3119-1.jpg
Up to the track for the 9am opening. The first lap was Gary in the 205 being followed closely by Leavingeasy in the Caterham. Despite the completely dry conditions the track was a little slippery. Further into the lap the early morning dew and very low sun made conditions both slipperly and visibility almost impossible in parts. The guys decided to give it an hour before going back out.
Gary caught up with Ross in the car park who was looking at a very sorry VR6. Gemma explained that the car had ventured onto the grass early in the lap causing Ross to take it steady, as he put it. He was however caught out again :o this time not being so lucky. A couple of marks to the VR6 including a broken front light and damaged alloy. It could have been much worse. Luckily he missed the expensive Armco choosing to touch a wall instead :blink:
Gary and Simon went up to T13 to take a few pictures. Later Gary, Uncle Benz and Jimmy went up to Flugplatz to take more pictures.

Back to the car park for a few nice dry laps, Leavingeasy’s Caterham was still going although by now in need of a clutch.
Plenty of time to chat in and around the car-park with Weeman, Ian Howell, SteveW, Dave can’t drive, Juan Rachel , Johannes and a few more besides.
A couple of long closures for nasty incidents. It was hard to sit and listen to people wandering by saying ‘’I wonder when it will open again, wish they would hurry up’’ when a closure often means someone is hurt and receiving medical attention.
A chat with Ross confirmed that the wheel was knackered on the VR6 and without a spare :( he was unable to get home. Uncle Benz and Gary went on the hunt with Ross and Gemma and luckily found a wheel which would be good enough to get him home in the local scrap yard. A lesson to be learnt for all about not carrying a spare :nono:
Uncle Benz also tinkered with Ian’s Nissan 200 keeping his clutch alive long enough for a few laps and the journey home.
The last closure of the day was a long one giving Uncle Benz and Gary time to wander round the car park looking at E30’s and discuss ideas for Gary’s new toy.
The closures meant the amount of time on track during the day was short, however traffic was light with only a handful of bikes to be seen.
A lap in the passenger seat of the ML with Gareth driving and Jimmy in the back. Gary reported that it was one of the funniest laps he had ever done. The ML simply blitzed the track, rather than clip the curbs it nailed every one. Brilliant fun.
Back to the Ring Haus for a quick beer before going to Adenau for a Chinese meal. The guys and gals were joined by Ian, Juan and Rachel. As usual the food was great with plenty of banter around the table.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3452.jpg
As the guys landed back at the ring haus to carry on the festivities Frank was just closing up so they had to wander to the Pistenklause. A final beer and review of the weekend’s photo’s and it was time to call it a day.
The drive home in the Merc ML was a comical one, with loads of banter. The Gary comment of ‘’I like my fish BONED’’ one of many which caused amusement. Perhaps you had to be there :lol: :lol:

Back home for 5.45pm Gary’s last driving trip of the year, he will be returning with Emma and Charley for Crimbo though.

Weeman
10-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Cracking report there gary :D Should be one from our party sometime soon, i&#39;ll try and include karls plan to make me wet myself on friday afternoon/early evening LOL

Uncle Benz
10-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Great report winkle. Weren&#39;t we lucky with the weather&#33;&#33; In fact it was nearly as good as Portugal. Did I mention I&#39;ve just returned from a lovely three week break in the Algarve?

Gary Kinghorn
10-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Have we not got a &#39;&#39;i&#39;m falling asleep smiley?&#39;&#39;

Right lets see if we can find any pics of the ML on track...........

Just added the ML lap to the report too :thumb:

Steve Gill
10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Fantastic report well written as always Gary :thumb:

One thing confuses me though. These pictures are, well, superb&#33; Have you suddenly got brilliant at photography or is there something else you&#39;re not telling us? ;) :whistle:

:fishing:

Gary Kinghorn
10-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Guess I should have put a note saying the pictures were taken using my newly stolen lenses ;) ;) ;)

Andrew
10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Excellent report - and pics :)

Nige
10-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Great report, worth waiting for :thumb:

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 08:11 AM
Holy crap how pissed must I have been? Did I really tell you about my red Capri??

Great report Gary, love that picture of the Aston in the morning&#33;

Oakie

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 08:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v501/tvr400/Nurburgring%20Oct%202006/IMG_3455.jpg

Cant believe some Arab has drawn on ur pic already&#33;

rolty
11-10-2006, 09:50 AM
As I said on SC, really good report Gary.

Any chance you could email me the hi-res version of the pic of the kerb to me?

Cheers :D

Root admin
11-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Great report Gary. Seems like lots of fun. Why are there women on a stag do though&#33;?

I must get our sorted, but the house is upside down at the moment. I don&#39;t know where my microwave has gone, let lone where the laptop is.... :angry:

Root admin
11-10-2006, 10:12 AM
P.s. if Dave and I ever get hitched, I&#39;m coming on his stag do. Not letting him out alone with you lot&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

Simon
11-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Clare@Oct 11 2006, 11:11 AM
but the house is upside down at the moment. I don&#39;t know where my microwave has gone,
What you doing for food atm then :whistle:

Gary Kinghorn
11-10-2006, 10:28 AM
dave will be going somewhere much more interesting than the ring for his stag weekend. Mind you it will be in the year 2030 at least

Dave G
11-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Good report Gary.

Sounds like you had another good weekend.

Must be cool having your pic on the wall, how lucky was it that you had a framed picture with you&#33;&#33;? :lol:

:thumb:

p1doc
11-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Benz@Oct 10 2006, 07:01 PM
Great report winkle. Weren&#39;t we lucky with the weather&#33;&#33; In fact it was nearly as good as Portugal. Did I mention I&#39;ve just returned from a lovely three week break in the Algarve?
gary did not go into detail,have you just been to portugal tell me more......
martin :D

sobio
11-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Great report Gary.

Glad Nick managed more than 3 laps. What can we tease him about now though? Oh yeah, his red Capri&#33;&#33; :lol: :lol:

Shaun

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 01:35 PM
Shaunie&#33;&#33;

Good to see you here&#33;

How was the lovely Miss B??

sobio
11-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Hey Nick, it&#39;s good to be here&#33;

Miss B was lovely as ever...shame you weren&#39;t down here with us&#33; Think she misses you.... :affection:

Glad you managed to break your run of bad luck.

How did your filming go? When are you gonna be on the telly???

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Filming was hilarious, though the GMF decision to fly around Manhattan at 500ft with a BBC camera crew in the back might prove a little interesting&#33;&#33;

Programme is aired in Jan. I&#39;m ready for my close up......

Actually it was more embarrassing than one of those dreams where you are naked in school- I had to fly the least efficient approach i could whilst the camera man shoved a 100mm lens up my nose. Which makes you eyes water a bit&#33;

U still in JNB btw? Didnt realise they had t&#39;internet there&#33; Guessing Miss B is home then, must pop up and see her&#33;

Dave G
11-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Least efficient approach? Please elaborate&#33;

When is this program on? :)

Root admin
11-10-2006, 03:06 PM
What programme? I&#39;ve probably missed something&#33;

Dave G
11-10-2006, 03:10 PM
I&#39;m guessing the filming is for a programme....? :blink:

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Sorry to hi-jack Gary&#33;

I had to leave the Ring early at the weekend to get back to Sussex and fly the simulator for a documentary the BBC are making called "should I feel guilty about flying"

It is based on the initiatives Virgin is making and some other airlines are ignoring, in order to reduce fuel consumption and the associated CO2 output.

I had to fly a typical inefficient approach into JFK, descending early, flying low level with lots of flap and large amounts of fuel consumed whilst the chief pilot sat in the captains seat and was interviewed.

I have no idea how it will look, whetherthe chief pilot will make any sense after edit or even indeed if my minimal flying abilities will be shown.

I do know however that we had a hoot filming it and I hope to god I dont look a total twat.

The journo was quite dishy though so we put her in the seat afterwards and gave her a chance to fly around Manhattan and then land at JFK. Hopefully she will have enjoyed that enough to make the programme favourable&#33;

Its being aired in Jan.

Dave G
11-10-2006, 03:58 PM
That&#39;s pretty cool Nick.

You must be television-genic otherwise they probably would have chosen someone else.

I heard about the CO2 thing with Virgin, good publicity stunt&#33; But good overall really. All profits till 2012 to getting emissions down is it?

Inspires confidence you saying &#39;minimal flying expertise&#39; :whistle: :lol:

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah 6500 hours and 11 years- just a baby to all this flying business really&#33;

Dave G
11-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Jesus&#33; Hardly&#33; :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
11-10-2006, 08:23 PM
They will edit Nick&#39; s head out and replace it with Jason&#39;s....... job done :lol:

Nige
11-10-2006, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@Oct 11 2006, 03:50 PM
....and I hope to god I dont look a total twat.
You mean they can edit it so you dont? Wow, modern technology eh.....

leavingeasy
11-10-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Oct 11 2006, 08:23 PM
They will edit Nick&#39; s head out and replace it with Jason&#39;s....... job done :lol:
Sad thing is you are probably right&#33;

Simon
12-10-2006, 07:31 AM
pmsl @ Nige :D

All full of love for Nick arn&#39;t we :lol:

SteveW
12-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Nice report Gary. I think Arno was having a party to celebrate me paying my bill for the Fabias turbo & Clios rack etc. I&#39;ll be living on beans & toast for the next month to pay for it all&#33;

I had loads of good laps on Monday when it was much quieter. I met up with Juan & Rachel again who I hadn&#39;t seen since last year. Also met up with Ian(?) with the 200 Nissan. Had an enjoyable lap with him following me but unfortunately the tape ran out half way round. We were going to repeat the lap later but a premature closure got in the way.
The weather here this week has been lovely so it is a bugger that there are no evening openings. Will be there next weekend again.

Gary Kinghorn
12-10-2006, 09:41 AM
It was nice to see you again Steve. Our meets this year have been far too infrequent.

Gary

IanHowell
12-10-2006, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by SteveW@Oct 12 2006, 10:31 AM
I had loads of good laps on Monday when it was much quieter. I met up with Juan & Rachel again who I hadn&#39;t seen since last year. Also met up with Ian(?) with the 200 Nissan. Had an enjoyable lap with him following me but unfortunately the tape ran out half way round. We were going to repeat the lap later but a premature closure got in the way.
That would be me Steve.......Ian Howell :thumb:

Was a great fun lap, shame about the video playing up :angry:

Good o meet you again, will have another go next year&#33;

Ian.

Juanjo
12-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi everybody,

just to say thank you to all of you friends, Rachel and me had a good weekend, finally arriving home at 2 am Tuesday, after 4 speed camera flashes (in Switzerland) and being kept by the gendarmes for half an hour between Lausanne and Geneva. they couldn&#39;t fine me because they had no speed gun, but they tried hard...

It was a great weekend, sunny weather all along (who sent those pesimistic weather reports?), I managed to fix all the electronics and finally I can monitor all the ECU parameters during a lap or to have the GPS timing instead...
the car run with no problems, except (again&#33;) pad deposits that made the brakes vibrate a lot on Monday.
Nevertheless we managed to record some nice video laps (thanks Ian, and yes you have permission to post including Rachel&#39;s mini stunt at Hatzelbach... JUST GUYS dont give the wheel to your girlfriends...) and I managed a 8m35 BtG lap despite some traffic and the Ferrari accident at mini-karoussel. The car is definetely so much faster after the Ecutek upgrade, that I could even consider switching from "agressive rally driving" to "efficient track driving" one of these days...

Next step to find a solution for the brakes and next spring new suspension, as I see Simon&#39;s car leans a lot less than mine on corners.

I see you next spring for the new Ring session, we keep in touch,

Juanjo (and Rachel)

Gary Kinghorn
12-10-2006, 06:36 PM
Nice to see you both again ....... see you for a chinese next year :lol:

Gary

Simon
13-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Oct 12 2006, 07:36 PM
Nice to see you both again ....... see you for a chinese next year :lol:

Gary
Seconded Juan :lol:

It was good to see you both. When I get round to sorting the video I will let you know as I have 1/2 a lap following you. It sounds like the Swiss are as speed camera happy as the British :angry:

Ross
13-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi everyone, it was great to meet you all over the weekend, Gemma and I had a really enjoyable weekend with you especially at the PK and chinese evenings. Although we came home in a scuffed up VR6 and had a minimal amount of completed laps :huh: we enjoyed the great company, weather, food and beer&#33; :D Thank you to all for the passenger laps Gemma and I had over the weekend.

Special thank you to Gary and Gareth for your help finding the &#39;get us home&#39; alloy, and a big thanks to Ollie and Frank at Ringhaus for the headlamp and tyre change, i think we would have been coming home on the back of a lorry if it werent for your assistance. :thumb:

The car is virtually back together now, just waiting for the replacement alloy (and a spare for next year&#33;) to be delivered. A valuable lesson learnt this weekend, when you see its a damp track in the morning and you try to take it easy.....try harder to take it easy&#33;

The lap i had on saturday evening was great as the car was handling very well, until the german in a purple BMW cut me up. KW coilovers, HnR arbs, and further lightening was completed since i was there in july so am looking forward to next year when i&#39;ll hopefully get out on the track for longer than two laps&#33; :D

Hopefully see you all next year&#33;