PDA

View Full Version : Random weekday trip

chilled
14-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Bloody common as muck those GT3's

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_mpA2rBSa8ds/Sq5ewqkhZJI/AAAAAAAAAdQ/2Z6cYb8JAsw/s800/P1000140.JPG

Full report to follow later in the week.

Michaela
14-09-2009, 03:44 PM
I like that pic...
Funny mix of colours :rolleyes:

Hannah
14-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Michaela@Sep 14 2009, 03:44 PM
I like that pic...
GT3 RS in Orange is my dream car... Best start saving! And with the black graphics on it, yummy!

Screacher
14-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Michaela@Sep 14 2009, 03:44 PM
I like that pic...
Of those four, the yellow one is by far the best colour.

Tim
14-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Green for me!

Kev_G
14-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Tim@Sep 14 2009, 10:28 PM
Green for me!
and me to be fair :)

anarky
15-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Why do the twats with posh cars always park there? :boom:

pye21
15-09-2009, 01:20 PM
It's the posh twat car parking area :fish:

mjrc
15-09-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by anarky@Sep 15 2009, 01:09 PM
Why do the twats with posh cars always park there? :boom:
Andrew had parked his GT3 there, when i met him back in july :whistle:

chilled
15-09-2009, 08:12 PM
This trip was kind of random. I only usually do one trip a year but I'd not had much holiday so far this year and couldn't think of anything better to do. The full day midweek opening just seemed right so a trip was decided...

Leeds - ashford, overnight, early chunnel then hack over to the ring. Staying at Blau Ecke, so a quick lunch from the greasy spoon next to the Blau Ecke and a trip up to RSR to pick up my steed which was mostly the R26.R

Weather was glorious as I arrived on the Tuesday, and the opening was the usual evening: 5:15 - 7:20. Merc were running driver training and being a bit precious about the car park so I couldn't get in in advance to buy a ticket :( BUt as soon as they opened I went in. I was 2nd in the queue. By the time I had bought the ticket the queue behind me was about 20 people long! It was a bit of a worry, but turns out it wasn't warranted.

In the short opening hours I managed 7 laps. Great weather, track in great condition, the Megane a real treat as ever. Even if you do have to do up those 6 point belts with the turny buckle. More of that later. Only really took 1 lap to get up to speed with the car and the track again. However the brakes seem to fade a bit half way through the lap so I decided to go have a word with Dale about brake management.

It's something I've always struggled with, always wanting to eke every bit of performance out of the car. So a brief chat with dale and he's saying just brake hard and a bit earlier then coast the last little bit in. Wasn't sure if it'd work, but gave it a go and it works a treat.

Wednesday also brought glorious weather. I was out only a few minutes after 8 and had done another 8 laps by 11:30. It was starting to get busy and I'd already done my intended lap allocation. I've never done so many laps so quickly. Was great fun. I wandered back up to RSR to have a chat, and decide on the plan for the rest of the day. Grabbed some lunch and just as I was about to go back out, John told me to go talk to Dale, apparently there might be a problem with the Megane and it might not be allowed back out on the ring. It was right, the saga is documented elsewhere and left me with a dilemma. I didn't really want to track the M3 again. I'd done 15 or so laps the year before in it but I'd bought it as a road car.

I took it out for a lap, was going reasonably well, but rolling far too much especially on the higher speed stuff, like FP, PF II, PF III and SX. Passed quite a few things but got held up at Hohe acht by a CSL. By the time he pulled over at Brunchen II I had a a bit of an agressive Hanseat queue behind me. But he didn't ease off so I had to go around the inside at Eiskurve, not a line I particularly like. Going around Eiskurve the back end broke away unexpectedly to me. Eiskurve reminds me why it calls itself that. This is the first time it's ever broke away without really letting me know. I suspect I wasn't listening properly. A slight over correction and a full on tank slapper averted, I let the other traffic past then got back up to speed. Totally my own fault but a reminder to be careful out there.

I then swapped to a Clio, denied use of RSR's new 997 GT3 because of borked brake disks. Did 3 laps and finished off my lap ticket. it's fun, but up Kesselchen you really just want to climb in the back and go to sleep while you get to Steilstrecker.

So 19, mostly uneventful laps completed in just over a day.

Nige
15-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by chilled@Sep 15 2009, 09:12 PM
I then swapped to a Clio,..., but up Kesselchen you really just want to climb in the back and go to sleep while you get to Steilstrecker.
welcome to my world :lol:

Not a bad trip really, 19 laps ! Midweek fulls days are very rare and to get one quiet but with great weather is a treat !

Thanks for Sharing the report :thumb:

chilled
15-09-2009, 09:06 PM
So Nige, despite the crappy resolution, can you verify the 8:33 in any of those traces?

Floyd
16-09-2009, 07:10 AM
So a brief chat with dale and he's saying just brake hard and a bit earlier then coast the last little bit in. Wasn't sure if it'd work, but gave it a go and it works a treat.

Hmm, good advice. May give that a go for less stressful lappage.

Simon
16-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Apart from the seat belt saga it sounds like you had a cracking day, good lapping :thumb:

chilled
16-09-2009, 08:07 AM
It was a proper "lapping" session. And I could have done way more on the wednesday had I been inclined. (possibly 60 degrees)