PDA

View Full Version : Top mount, bush, strut or what?

Gary Kinghorn
23-09-2006, 02:20 PM
There is a knock from the back of my beemer when going over bumps. That would generally lead me to think that I had a dodgey rear strut but it looks pretty clean with no signs of bleed or other wear.

Getting into the boot I can get the opposing strut to move when I wiggle the top by hand, the other side is rock solid with no movement.

Any thoughts, what's in there which can have gone? A bush, top mount or what?

Cheers in anticipation of your rapid replys :D

Gary

Badger
25-09-2006, 05:34 AM
I would look at rear bushes first, jack the car up, and have a good pry about, you probably wont receat the knocking noise but you should get some more idea of what feels loose. Dont forget to check the rear diff mounts.

Dave G
25-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Top strut mount!

There is a new write up on the e30zone homepage on how to change it. If you can move it about it will the cause of (one of) the knocks from the rear. :whistle: :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
25-09-2006, 03:44 PM
Already ordered my new top mounts, they arrive in the next day or so ........

Steven
29-09-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Sep 25 2006, 03:44 PM
Already ordered my new top mounts, they arrive in the next day or so ........
What did I tell you on my response to your original question on the beemer?? Top mounts!!

Mr Kinghorn you must listen. ;)

Dave G
29-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Steven@Sep 29 2006, 10:53 AM
What did I tell you on my response to your original question on the beemer?? Top mounts!!

Snap! :whistle: :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
29-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Steven@Sep 29 2006, 10:53 AM

You know full well im never going to admit that you were right, so why bother trying :lol: :lol:

As it happens the noise I was talking about is still there, its now more pronounced because the other top mount related sounds have gone :lol: