PDA

View Full Version : Oil coolers?

Floyd
20-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Oil Coolers

I need some advice on oil coolers. Ive just purchased a nearly new kit with braided hoses, remote oil filter and cooler rad. With the limited investigation available to me, it seems it was genuinely removed to allow fitment of a FMIC and had not been on an engine that had spun a bearing. Saying that I want advice on the best way to clean it thoroughly?

I also want advice on what is the best way to plumb it in filter first then cooler or vice versa? Should I build in a tap for oil changing duties? What is the best procedure for refilling?

F

leavingeasy
20-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Never EVER buy a second hand oil cooler- you never know who might be selling it!

Badger
20-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Find a place to mount your cooler first, then you can sort the plumbing, as it has to go to the take off plate. When situating your cooler, make sure it will receive a flow of air, and it is protected from stones/flying debris.

Run it with a thermostat, oil too cold is as dangerous as oil too hot. Make sure the connections are leak free. Oil change will require more oil, so fill with usual amount, to max mark, then start the engine, allow to run briefly, there is a small amount of flow to the cooler at all times, so it will fill. Then stop engine, wait for a period of time, for oil to return to the sump, then check level again.

Cleaning out the cooler, fill with degreaer, leave to soak, then rinse with water, if possible rig up a hose and check for leaks, by performing a small pressure test. Then leave to dry on a radiator, then fill with clean oil just in case any degreaser is still present, then drain, and fit.

Floyd
20-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@Sep 20 2006, 10:00 AM
Never EVER buy a second hand oil cooler- you never know who might be selling it!
Never ever buy one from this man :lol: :wave:

I am 99% sure it's OK but the clean will make me feel better. Thanks for the info Badger :thumb: I have a take off plate, remote oil filter head, cooler and 3 hoses. I don't have a thermostat but a cunning plan instead - I'm going to try and mount the cooler where the fog light goes on an impreza. In winter I'll replace the fog light cover, thus blocking the cooler and vice versa in summer and track days. I'll keep an eye on the oil temps anyway too.

If I had a thermostat then I'm not sure how it would be plumbed in?

I still need advice on which to plumb in first - filter or cooler in oil flow direction?

Cheers
F

GVK
20-09-2006, 11:41 AM
Floyd, I don't know how much you paid for the kit but for what it costs get another oil cooler element, as Nick says, you don't know what nasties have been in there and flushing doesn't always work 100% ...

Wash the pipes out by all means tho :thumb:

Badger
20-09-2006, 11:57 AM
Filter first, its the first component it would have gone through if you werent using a remote reservoir head.

Why are you using a remote filter, is space tight?

pete_rallye
20-09-2006, 12:26 PM
You can get take off plates with a thermostat already fitted, this is what I use and cost about 30. Much better than covering it over in winter, as the oil will still circulate through the coler which isn't ideal when it's -3c!

To clean mine out I boiled the kettle quite a few times, poured the boiling water into the cooler, left it for a while, gave it a bit of a shake, and then drained it, do it enough times and you should get all the shit out of it. Then I popped it in the oven to dry it out....!

Floyd
20-09-2006, 12:37 PM
The remote filter just came with the kit but I'd have to buy another take off if I didn't use it :( If I did that and bought another cooler then I may as well have bought brand new :(

As it is I'm pretty happy that its not 'bearing'd' so I'll give it a jolly good wash.

Filter first makes sense but it crossed my mind that if I put it post cooler then it could filter and debris missed from cleaning it :whistle:

There is another issue. The hoses and connectors have been sealed with a white sealant. Some of which needs to be removed. I would have sealed it with ptfe as its easier to remove for cleaning etc. How best to get the sealant off?

F

pete_rallye
20-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Depending on what sealant it is a bit of heat (blowtorch) usually does the trick. Then scrape whats left out with a fine screwdriver/knife etc.