PDA

View Full Version : 14th to 17th August

Das Chin
24-08-2009, 09:38 AM
first of all a MASSIVE THANKS to Dale and everyone at RSR for making us feel truly welcome on Friday afternoon to hire the R26R. including the Weissenbier which was welcomed with open arms after long hot drive in the V10 monster :thumb:

first real time I have been to the new premises and there is some awesome kit up there. shame to see the GT3 RSs are not very well and I do hope that all gets resolved soon Dale.

it started very oddly with a long drive down from Manchester on Thursday pm after meetings all day with Barclays head of IT and his team. got totally stuffed on the M11 as huge shunt at J8 after some twat in a lorry decided to cross the central barrier and play chicken with the oncoming traffic.

every fcuking time I get on the m11 some k4nt in a lorry causes issues. last time on route to Bedford some trailer had caught fire and made me late again. I really do hate lorries. stick em on the trains.

I was pushed for time as M3 buyer was waiting to pick up the car so eventually arrived, got all the stuff together, signed the papers and then off she purred to pastures new! sad to see it go but a ring trip and blasting over in a lambo Gallardo eases the pain ;)

quick bite to eat, few beers then off to bed for some kip. Up at half 5 for 6 am depart to catch 8am norfolkline. Great day, ferry was spot on as was the brekkie and onwards to the ring. I took the first stint in the lambo and you forget what a gold fish bowl you are driving as EVERYONE is looking at it, thumbs up, cheering and no real bad words. True honour to be able to drive it and my mate is very trusting with this loose nut at the wheel. Ha ha. Handed over the keys just before Liege so that Fraser could take the car into Germany as he wanted to max it out. We did get to 178 on the rather busy 2 lane motorway (E44) and it still had a gear to go. What a machine!!

Popping, banging and that V10 noise it sth I just never tire of hearing. Itís like a sledge hammer when you hit the gas as the SE version has shorter gearing so it just never seems to run out of grunt.

Got to the hotel not far from Bad Ahrweiler which was ideal as close to the motorway. Bit of a treck to the ring but then we had the lambo and tunnels, plus the great 257 to keep us amused. Few beers locally on fri night then up early to RSR on Saturday to get the Megane. Had heard SO much about it that I was more excited about driving that than the lambo. Sat am was truly epic weather, nice and cool, bit damp but very quiet out on track and ideal for the turbo engine. I think we got on track about half 8, I done 2 laps, one warm up and one hot one (on the grass at wipperman with one wheel = puckering bullet wound ;-0 ) then fraser done 2 after me.

I have to say I was blown away with the little megane and what an experience for a FWD car. Felt more like a RWD drive and grown up golf as it did not understeer at all on the kumhos and you could even get some lift off oversteer which pushed the car nicely round many of the corners. Was not too hard on the anchors as they felt ok but would be shot by miss hit miss if pushed hard. Traction was awesome, as was the balance through a corner.

Loads of grunt from the 2.0 Turbo and you do not need to change down past 3rd once you are out of the barriers. Even out of wehrseifen I found that the gearing and torque just pulled the car out and down to breidscheid.

Although the car park was very busy I have to say the track was not. Maybe people are not doing as many laps and I have heard that the JK card sales are down some 40%! A few stoppages through late morning and lunch so managed to have a look around the nuro Disney work and what has been done there. Truly amazing the work that has gone in and its does look impressive though I have heard some rumours of bad building and subsidence so a lot of repair work is due over the winter.

Managed to get a few more laps in sat afternoon but getting busy and my mate was not too happy with too much traffic. Another few stoppages and it was time to call it a day around 5.30 as had to drop the car back to RSR and then head back to hotel. Went to Koln in the evening and had a total riot and found a wicked place to go out ;-)

Sunday was another beautiful morning, early brekkie then pick up the Megane as we had some laps left and knew we would use the full 15 laps. 4 glorious laps in the morning and the Renault was on fire in the cool air. Managed to get a couple of laps in Philís GT3 RS 996 which is one of my fave cars ever so a real honour to do that. First lap it felt very skittish and nervous, not very planted so I did ask Phil at the end if he had checked the tyres at all this weekend and NO!! Checked the RS all round and it was 42 front and 49 rear. Basically 10 over what is should be hot so let them out to 32 and 39 and on the next lap it felt like the car I thought it always would be on the ring.

So much grunt and grip, balance was awesome and the feedback from the steering wheel is totally unique. The carbon brakes are awesome and even thought I am not a hugely late breaker you have every confidence that you can haul the car up quickly if needed. The grunt up keeselchen is just so effortless and I was hitting 145 without really trying and not maxing it in and out of bergwerk. Pushing a car like that which is not my own is not really my bag and it was just a joy to be out in it and do 3 laps of the best bit of tarmac in the world ;-)

We did not take the lambo out due to insurance challenges plus it managed to develop a crack in the windscreen on the Sunday due to the heat and a stone chip. Thankfully it did not get any worse and it was fine to get home.

Again the car park was busy on Sunday but the track was beautifully quiet and there was hardly anyone lapping. Again we really enjoyed the laps in the megane with its great grip from the chassis and the kumhos plus the air con was a bonus! Did not miss that part of the m3 as that would have been hideously hot in that weather. Really like the Kumho V700A tyres on the megane as you can really lean on them when hot plus they give you a little bit more noise than the 888s to tell you what is going on and there is a chance you might run out of talent in a bit ;-)

I think we stayed until about 6pm on Sunday as there was a stoppage for about an hour so it was time to call it a day as my mate Fraser had done his best lap of the weekend in the megane and we were both agreed it was the right high to go out on ;-) managed to get a table at the Lindenhof from Renate and a lovely round of Grill Axes were ordered and snaffled up.

I sadly got the short straw of having to drive the lambo back on Sunday eve so the others got stuck into the Eifel Geists and Jaegers so you can imagine it got v messy v quickly. We met a great bunch from the Z car forum (Giles, Linzi and Mel) and he had a very nice E93 M3 in white. Had a good giggle with them on Sunday night and left the new hotel up at the Grune Hoelle about 2 am. I was stone cold sober, bit tired but my passenger was in all sorts of trouble after the booze. Quality.

Monday morning I was chipper and ready to go, Fraser looked and smelt like 5hite. Ha ha. We left about 11am from the hotel on target for the 4pm norfolkline. I took the first stint home and in fact ended up driving all the way home back to good old Essex as Fraser was in real trouble. Ha ha. Still I really was not bothered as piloting a Lamborghini Gallardo SE across Europe is always a pleasure and never a chore!!

All in all a great weekend, some major laughs, drove some AWESOME cars and in fact one of the best trips I have ever had. Was nice to not worry about loads of laps and just soak up all the atmosphere. Having not been back for some 10 months then it did not fell like it and there were some familiar faces and cars around so always good to see.

I did not have my camera I am afraid so if anyone has any pics of the following cars then would love to see them:

Lambo Gallardo Dark Grey V10 FJB
996 GT3 RS white/blue R2 PLO
Megane R26R Grey/red RS plate

Over and out, DC

some pics:

http://www.nurburgringphotos.com/search.ph...l&date1=&date2= (http://www.nurburgringphotos.com/search.phpsearch=R2PLO&match_type=all&date1=&date2=)

Nick driving the RS
http://nurburgring-photos.fotopic.net/p60313027.html

and
http://nurburgring-photos.fotopic.net/p60313026.html

and
http://nurburgring-photos.fotopic.net/p60312918.html

GVK
24-08-2009, 12:21 PM
2.1 bar is 32psi :P

Good write up DC :thumb:

Das Chin
24-08-2009, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Thompson@Aug 24 2009, 11:08 AM
32/39 psi is too high.

2.1/2.2 bar is about right. Or 2.0/2.1 if very hot weather.
:lol: to echo GVKs point andrew!! :wave:

the blue ones are so much quicker than the red ones too :whistle:

Simon
24-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Das Chin@Aug 24 2009, 01:27 PM
the blue ones are so much quicker than the red ones too :whistle:
pmsl :lol:

Nice write up Nick you lucky bastard :thumb:

Chris_S
24-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Simon@Aug 24 2009, 01:02 PM
pmsl :lol:

Nice write up Nick you lucky bastard :thumb:
Yep, I think that just about covers it!

Das Chin
24-08-2009, 02:12 PM
ok thanks statto

all I can say is that the RS felt a million times better with 10 PSI less in each tyre with my mediocre talent behind the wheel :D :lol:

GVK
24-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Thompson+Aug 24 2009, 02:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew Thompson @ Aug 24 2009, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GVK@Aug 24 2009, 01:21 PM

Negative. 2.2 bar is actually 31.90 psi [/b][/quote]
:loser:

Joel
24-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Thompson+Aug 24 2009, 02:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew Thompson &#064; Aug 24 2009, 02:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-GVK@Aug 24 2009, 01:21 PM

Negative. 2.2 bar is actually 31.90 psi[/b][/quote]
err, that&#39;s a negative again, captain.

2.2bar = 31.908302psi, or 31.91psi in your simple 2-decimal-place system :loser:

:lol:

sparrow
24-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Joel+Aug 24 2009, 02:25 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joel @ Aug 24 2009, 02:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Andrew Thompson@Aug 24 2009, 02:42 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-GVK@Aug 24 2009, 01:21 PM
2.1 bar is 32psi* :P

Good write up DC* :thumb:
Negative. 2.2 bar is actually 31.90 psi

2.2bar = 31.908302psi, or 31.91psi in your simple 2-decimal-place system :loser:

:lol: [/b][/quote]

Nice to catch up with you Nick. The pax lap in the Megane was epic, so much traction from a front wheel drive car.

Also thanks to Phil for the pax lap in the GT3 RS, it&#39;s an awesome piece of kit. :thumb:

Joel
24-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Actually, yes. As an engineer, and as I&#39;m at the office right now, I do have easy access to the sorts of books that contain such information... :shame:

Das Chin
24-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by sparrow+Aug 24 2009, 02:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sparrow @ Aug 24 2009, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Joel@Aug 24 2009, 02:25 PM

Nice to catch up with you Nick. The pax lap in the Megane was epic, so much traction from a front wheel drive car.

Also thanks to Phil for the pax lap in the GT3 RS, it&#39;s an awesome piece of kit. :thumb: [/b][/quote]
no worries dude and sorry to hear about the golf. hope you get it back on the road soon and that it got back to the UK ok. :thumb:

sparrow
24-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Das Chin+Aug 24 2009, 03:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Das Chin @ Aug 24 2009, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by sparrow@Aug 24 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Joel@Aug 24 2009, 02:25 PM

Also thanks to Phil for the pax lap in the GT3 RS, it&#39;s an awesome piece of kit. :thumb:
no worries dude and sorry to hear about the golf. hope you get it back on the road soon and that it got back to the UK ok. :thumb: [/b][/quote]
It&#39;s home. :thumb:
It&#39;s bent. :(
Looks fixable. :thumb: