PDA

View Full Version : Fan belt

Pistonhead78
18-09-2006, 09:41 AM
My fan belt started sqeeling a while back, so i WAS going to tighten it, but the sqeeling has stopped now, should i still tighten it?? personaly i dnt think i should until i know it needs it (the engine temp starts getting hotter than usual)

what do you guys think, should i do it anyways?

Dave G
18-09-2006, 10:00 AM
:thumb: Is this on your Corsa?

Does it have an auto tensioner?

If not, adjust it, takes 5 mins!

320touring
18-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Pistonhead78@Sep 18 2006, 09:41 AM
My fan belt started sqeeling a while back, so i WAS going to tighten it, but the sqeeling has stopped now, should i still tighten it?? personaly i dnt think i should until i know it needs it (the engine temp starts getting hotter than usual)

what do you guys think, should i do it anyways?
as dave says, for 5 mins checkin/adjusting, its worth the effort.

much better than a head off job :(

Pistonhead78
19-09-2006, 10:21 AM
lol i looked today, i thought it was gunna be the "right at the bottem" and u have to steer the wheels to oposit lock to get to it (like rover metro's) :P (yeah i know my stuff too) anyways lol but yeah its rite on the top. so easy access

u reckon it is auto, hasnt been sqeelin since it stopped :S lol

o and if i do tighten it how will i know by how much, it dont have any info on fan belts in my hienz manual lol

thanks btw

Dave G
19-09-2006, 10:44 AM
See if there is an auto tensioner there, if it is squealing, it shouldn't be! The tensioner could be fubared.

If you manually adjust it (if there is NO tensioner) tighten it so there is limited deflection, like 5mm each way? :)

Pistonhead78
20-09-2006, 05:07 PM
ok, il have a look

leavingeasy
20-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Hang on PH78 aren't you on the same mechanics course as UB's apprentice George?

Surely you should betelling us the answer to easy stuff like that :whistle:

Tony
20-09-2006, 07:39 PM
I had a squeeling belt on the Mazda - I ignored it until it snapped :D

T

Badger
21-09-2006, 08:44 AM
If its squeeling, check it over, things shouldnt squeel.

Check the condition of the belt, as they have a nasty habit of snapping with modern belts with no warning.

Pistonhead78
21-09-2006, 02:51 PM
lol i know how to do it!!! i can remove and refit a gearbox, i think i can do belt :P lol, i just dont understand why it started sqeelin than stopped for no reason, so i was unsure wether its worth titning it or not, it feel tight as it is!