PDA

View Full Version : Roll cages

andrewhewitt
05-09-2006, 06:37 PM
I am currently in the process of buying a roll cage (safety devices bolt in 6 point) for my 306 rallye, thanks to Pete rallye!!

What is the general consensus about cages on here? is there any trips or advice others can give about living with them every day (car isn't used for al lot other than going to work (2 miles each way) and trackdays, hill climbing and now I am hooked the ring!)

Fitting the cage isn't an issue but:

I really want to keep the STD front seats to keep the cost down will this be an issue (other than fitment)?

Also I need to keep the rear seats in the car as I will be hill climbing in 2007 and its is part of the class regulations

All comments appreciated

Dave G
05-09-2006, 06:54 PM
I had a full bolt in cage fitted, is your going to be a rear cage only? If not I don't see how you'll be able to keep the rear seats? The rear cross goes where passengers would normally. Everyday use is fine, it's the racing seat and harnesses which are much more awkward! :)

andrewhewitt
05-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by davetouring@Sep 5 2006, 06:54 PM
I had a full bolt in cage fitted, is your going to be a rear cage only? If not I don't see how you'll be able to keep the rear seats? The rear cross goes where passengers would normally. Everyday use is fine, it's the racing seat and harnesses which are much more awkward! :)
no it will be the full cage i am ok with the fact that the rear seats will be no long useable (had the car 1 1/2 years and only been used a couple of times) i was really just wondering what people thought about living with a roll cage in a car thats has to be driven on the road?

Uncle Benz
05-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Roll cages are no problem day to day if you are only using the front seats. Rears are usable if your kids like clambering about!! Keep the door bars bolt-in and you can remove them for everyday use (Leavingeasy does!). Obviously if you are getting a secondhand cage, you will need the weld-in plates to strengthen the floor before bolting in the main hoops. If you dont get these, they are available seperately from the manufacturer.

andrewhewitt
05-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Benz@Sep 5 2006, 07:53 PM
Roll cages are no problem day to day if you are only using the front seats. Rears are usable if your kids like clambering about!! Keep the door bars bolt-in and you can remove them for everyday use (Leavingeasy does!). Obviously if you are getting a secondhand cage, you will need the weld-in plates to strengthen the floor before bolting in the main hoops. If you dont get these, they are available seperately from the manufacturer.
thanks for that , that was the sort of comment i was hoping for, i was i little worried people would tell me it would be unbarable for everyday use.

hengti
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
it's not ideal for road use, as you're effectively greatly increasing the number of solid things your head might be 'bouncing' off in the event of an accident. wearing a lid is obviously impractical for road use.

you can use roll bar padding but it's unlikely to be particularly effective other than for minor bumps

std seats would be fine i'd have thought - i use a harness with std seats in a 205 with no problems. have been pulled over a few times at night though, as the redundant lap belt can be seen dangling from the b'pillar.

leavingeasy
06-09-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Benz@Sep 5 2006, 07:53 PM
Keep the door bars bolt-in and you can remove them for everyday use (Leavingeasy does!).
I had to, my old Pa couldn't get in otherwise!

GVK
07-09-2006, 06:59 AM
Cage in my car is no problem for everyday use, well... it hasn't moved a wheel since May :(

http://www.aufg48.dsl.pipex.com/gvkcagefitting.html

andrewhewitt
07-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by GVK@Sep 7 2006, 06:59 AM
Cage in my car is no problem for everyday use, well... it hasn't moved a wheel since May :(

Great link with good pics and advice, thanks

:D

Steven
07-09-2006, 06:22 PM
I had a safety devices cage in my GTi-6.

You'll bang your head on the cage if you keep standard seats. That hurts, alot.

My advice? If you cage it, use it only on the road to go to and from the track and the occasional blast at the weekend. OR, get different seats fitted lower so your bonce doesn't smack against it.

Upto you though!

andrewhewitt
07-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Steven@Sep 7 2006, 06:22 PM
I had a safety devices cage in my GTi-6.

You'll bang your head on the cage if you keep standard seats. That hurts, alot.

My advice? If you cage it, use it only on the road to go to and from the track and the occasional blast at the weekend. OR, get different seats fitted lower so your bonce doesn't smack against it.

Upto you though!
DAMM thatís what I feared!!!

I really wanted to keep the car STD inside apart from the cage, hay ho

I will have to look into getting a couple of seats, anyone any recommendations, need to be hard wearing and semi comfortable as I will do some long journeys etc as itís my everyday car etc

Badger
11-09-2006, 05:38 AM
I drive a 50 mile round trip everyday with a cage in, no problems to report, the only issue is you get the odd clown who thinks you want to race them the minute they see a cage, other than that no, makes me feel safer on the road as well.

lizard
11-09-2006, 07:54 AM
Visability may be an issue depending on the cage design. On a Mk2Golf cage with proper padding on the b pillar it really makes the visibility for certain junctions etc a real lottery, & some pit lane exits aint great either.

& harnessed in (as youve got to be really with a cage) car park etc manovering is not much fun either- yr head has to bob about like some form of dememted Meerkat :lol:

Simon
11-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Safety Devices iirc did a bolt in / out cage for Impreza's that offered roll over protection & cross members. Fitting was quick but it did not offer any forward / driver side protection.

If any good for you it might be worth considering a look to see if they can do one for your car?

Badger
11-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Got to agree with the visibility comments, checking over your shoulder on motorways in blindspot is a nightmare.

I guess I am mutating into a meerkat :lol:

Jorrit
21-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by GVK@Sep 7 2006, 06:59 AM

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a153/GVK31/cagefittedrear_640.jpg

You should change this!!!

In case off a crash the seatbelts whant to move forward. And having them so far down means that they can do that by gowing down and breaking your seat and then your back...

It is best tho place them as hi ass possible. The holes in the seat should also be above the sholders.