PDA

View Full Version : Return to the ring 27/28th June

Andrew Mulholland
29-06-2009, 09:06 AM
After my Stellar 2007, where I made it to the ring 22 times and racked up >300 laps, 2008 was a washout, work etc conspiring to restrict me to just two visits where I did some laps.

2009 has started off much the same; however a new job means I have almost a semblance of a life again- I get evenings and weekends free and don't get woken up due to 'the world ending' at night. Brilliant!

Anyway this was actually my 3rd trip to the ring this year - I went in feb, to collect my car to take it for it's MOT, but the track was then closed due to snow.

My 2nd trip was around 21st may, but selfishly the track was occupied for the weekend to enable perhaps the best motor race in the world to take place. Whatever it meant once again no lapping for me :)

so fastforward to this weekend. My mission was just to bring my car over, to get my new seats fittted and leave it in nurburg for when I return in 2 weeks.

I left at 4:30am on saturday - not through choice! - my mum needed a lift to the airport, so I picked her up, and dropped her at heathrow t5 at 5am.

Then motored down to eurotunnel getting the 6:20 crossing or something, arrived in France and headed off down the e40, traffic was light and so I adopted a sensible cruise speed, and was soon eating through the kilometres toward
nurburg.

Stopped at Gent for coffee for me and super unleaded for the car, with both of us refreshed we continued on.
Shortly before Brussels I happened upon a belgian tvr
griffith, and an impromptu convoy began, making the journey infinietely more interesting. We took it in turns to do 'fly bys' and under the bridges the combined engines bellowed
and echoed magnificently.

The tvr's local knowledge proved invaluable as whilst of course I was going at a legal speed, the route is littered with speed cameras, waiting to pounce
if you creep over.

The tvr departed at liege, leaving me to enter Germany on my own. The Csl did it's thing on the autobahns, proving stronger than ever at 58k miles.

I arrived in nurburg around 12, went to kelberg first to drop my spare car key off with tom, where I ran into Thorleif, which was a nice surprise.

Chatted and helped him put road Tyres on his 318ti racecar as it needed to be driven to england!

By time this was finished, the vln was too, so headed to jochen's house where I promptly fell asleep for a while ( and of course he has this on camera )!

Once awoken, we went to the Chinese for dinner before heading up to a surprisingly quiet PK, for some drinks.

TBC

Moff
29-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Sounds like the beginning of a good season...

Andrew Mulholland
29-06-2009, 12:41 PM
on the sunday morning, I hadn't bothered setting alarms, it was foggy when I got to bed, so I assumed it would still be so in the morning.

I woke at 10:30 or so, had a coffee down in adenau, and then went round to wipperman to take some photos (will upload them later).

It was too hot to stay there though, so I wandered back to the car, turned aircon on, and went down to the car park.
didn't see anyone I knew at this point, so then went back to brunchen, where I met up with jochen and took more photos.

With this down, I went back to the carpark, where I met up with some people I knew, had just got ready for a passenger lap, when it closed.

so headed back to jochen's house for lunch - pinnochios pizza, and watching the motoGP. (jochen had recorded it).

with this done, I headed back to the 'ring, where I met Mike, in his 997 C2S.

Had a great passenger lap in it, really fun, and then took my CSL with Mike as a passenger out for a _slow_ lap, to show lines, and stuff,

Then did 2 more laps as passenger in Mike's C2S, which was again great fun.

By now my addiction was itching, I bought some laps (just a 4 lap card, as I want to get a half-jahreskarte when they come out), and did another lap, slightly quicker.

It was so much fun!

Then we ran into Jason, in his R26.R - fantastic car, it's Renault's CSL

Mike went out for a pax lap first, and then I had a couple of passenger laps too.
Brilliant, the car just grips and goes.

With this done it was the end of the day, so it was off to the PK for steak on a stone, and then on to kelberg to drop my car off, and then Mike gave me a lift to Hahn.

Ryanair was surprisingly ok (I'd not flown them for 8 years or so, after the last horror I had), but landing at stansted, wasn't.

plane landed at 23:30, it took an hour to get through passport control, and then the stansted "express" took an hour to get into london.

I then waited around for a bus, for a further 30mins, which then took an hour to get me home.

so I was home at 3am.

Wah!

pretty tired this morning.

was so worth it though.

need to go back.

back on 12th july for the RMA event, not sure after that. will see!

Nige
29-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Mulholland@Jun 29 2009, 01:41 PM
as I want to get a half-jahreskarte when they come out
You`ll be waiting a while, they don`t do them anymore :(

Hope to see you out there sometime this summer.

this thread is lacking in photos :whistle:

pye21
29-06-2009, 01:06 PM
Pics :whistle:

Moff
29-06-2009, 02:07 PM
pics :whistle: B)

Andrew Mulholland
29-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Nige+Jun 29 2009, 01:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nige @ Jun 29 2009, 01:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> You`ll be waiting a while, they don`t do them anymore :(

this thread is lacking in photos :whistle: [/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-Nige@Jun 29 2009, 01:52 PM
You`ll be waiting a while, they don`t do them anymore :(

this thread is lacking in photos :whistle:[/quote]
really?

I was told they were.

feckers.

as for photos, I&#39;ll post some of the ones I took when I get home (as I said in my first post).

someone got me on camera though (got email notification of it&#33;)

http://badger.ing.me.uk/wahwah.jpg

helmets were off, as my passenger didn&#39;t have one.

Steve Gill
29-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Good to see you&#39;re back Andy, we need to meet up for beer and talk crap :thumb:

Can you make any of the CSL Cup races this year?

Andrew Mulholland
29-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Steve Gill@Jun 29 2009, 08:53 PM
Good to see you&#39;re back Andy, we need to meet up for beer and talk crap :thumb:

Can you make any of the CSL Cup races this year?
Yes, definitely need to meet for beers and talking crap&#33;

Not sure about racing this year, maybe next year, need to get settled into new job and remember or learn how to drive first&#33;

Will definitely make a race to spectate, photograph and act as pit crew though&#33;

Trevor
29-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Glad to hear you are back in the real world again Andrew. What are you doing now then? Same but different or a change?

Andrew Mulholland
29-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Trevor@Jun 29 2009, 11:14 PM
Glad to hear you are back in the real world again Andrew. What are you doing now then? Same but different or a change?
no longer have anything to do with production stuff.

means no more oncall and crazy hours.

I now run the performance services team for the world&#39;s largest betting exchange. - we&#39;re researching ways to make it faster, develop ways to improve performance in production and that kind of thing.

its good fun.