PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaner....

Root admin
21-08-2006, 08:08 AM
My wheels are fcuked. The brake dust from the performance pads has welded itself onto my wheels.

Any ideas how I can remove it? I've done 3 coats of wonder wheels and that's taken most of the outside crap off, but not touched the inner bits.... (I hope you know what I mean!)

Any ideas?

Gary Kinghorn
21-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you need to take the wheels off and immerse then in a water / wheel cleaner solution. Not for too long though.

Gary

Simon
21-08-2006, 08:14 AM
A Friend recomended Fairy Power Spray to me. He says that it sorted his wheels out a treat :thumb: Got some at the w/end but not tried on mine yet, will report back.

Clare, if they are fcuked I have a customer who can paint them for around £120 the set but they need the wheels for a few days.

Simon

Root admin
21-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys. I am trying one last thing. Got some powerful alloy cleaner and a brush which guarantees removal of baked on brake dust! :thumb:

Will see how it goes.

Fairy power spray is excellent stuff. Gets the burnt off crap from my cooking equipment. Not sure about using on alloys though. I'll let you try it first Simon ;)

If all else fails, then you can get your mate to do them. I rather fancy white, but the same problem will keep happening. Dave reckons anthracite so that they look dirty all the time..... <_<

Karl
21-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Clare, if the centre caps are plastic be careful with the alloy cleaner.

Root admin
21-08-2006, 10:39 AM
No centre caps, just pure metal&#33;

This is bloody hard work. Spent an hour on them yesterday...... I may be resorting to the :greddy: power spray after all.....

pye21
21-08-2006, 11:18 AM
The dust from the PF pads is lethal, it will also damage the paintwork down the side of the car if you dont watch :o . I was tempted to get them for my Clio until i heard story&#39;s about the dangerous dust&#33; I have heard stories of people only getting rid of it by having the wheels refurbished&#33;&#33;&#33; :blink:

Root admin
21-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Looks like refurbishment is the only thing that I can do. I can get it off the back ones, (now on the front), but the front ones, (now on the back) are fcuked. It is proper baked on. No matter how much I go at it, it&#39;s staying put&#33;

Shame really. :(

Root admin
21-08-2006, 11:40 AM
BTW, we have bought some wheels off a bloke on Ebay so that I can get my original ones refurbed. As yet, he hasn&#39;t answered Dave&#39;s email or called him to organise picking them up. They are in Kent. :(

pye21
21-08-2006, 11:59 AM
I would consider changing the pads for something like Pagid Blues if you don&#39;t want it to happen again&#33;

Hope you get it sorted though, its a very nice example of a cup.

Simon
21-08-2006, 12:04 PM
did you try the power spray then? If the wheels are knackered then nothing to lose. The fronts on the Pug are a little marked because of DS3000 pads. Going to give them the power spray treatment to see if it works

Floyd
21-08-2006, 12:33 PM
I have a new set of PF Carbon Metallicís, which I was going to fit to the Scoob but Iím thinking twice now :( If you have used DS3000ís Clare then you only have you self to blame as this is a well known problem Ė actually, sorry, its Dave who needs the blame as he should know better. HTH ;) :lol:

F

Tony
21-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Do as I did and buy some really hideous wheels as your track rims (mine are TSW Venoms) and then the more caked/camouflaged/fcuked the better :thumb: :lol: :lol: Just ask TC17 how w*nky they look ;) :lol:

T

As an aside not - wonder wheels will eventually make alloys porous so it is NOT recommended for extended use. The best way to clean wheels is to take the tyres off and then soak them in soapy water....... seriously :thumb:

Root admin
21-08-2006, 01:46 PM
At the moment, taking the wheels off is not an option. However, trying the power spray, and it seems to be shifting some of it&#33; :thumb: Will keep you updated.......

Root admin
21-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Aug 21 2006, 01:33 PM
I have a new set of PF Carbon Metallicís, which I was going to fit to the Scoob but Iím thinking twice now :( If you have used DS3000ís Clare then you only have you self to blame as this is a well known problem Ė actually, sorry, its Dave who needs the blame as he should know better. HTH ;) :lol:

F
He knew about it, thought it would be OK if we cleaned the wheels after day at the ring. We didn&#39;t, and I didn&#39;t offer, so I&#39;m to blame really too.

Hasn&#39;t done anything to the paint work yet&#33; :blink:

Floyd
21-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Clare@Aug 21 2006, 01:47 PM
Hasn&#39;t done anything to the paint work yet&#33; :blink:
:blink: :nono: ;)

F

Uncle Benz
21-08-2006, 06:43 PM
On the subject of acid cleaners for alloy wheels, be careful with the stuff. I use a proffesional product from autosmart, which carries a coshh assesment that apparently says it can go through your skin and cause irreversable damage to your bones&#33;&#33; wear your marigolds just to be on the safe side&#33;&#33;

Nige
21-08-2006, 07:12 PM
if your wheels are that bad, try Mr Muscle Oven cleaner or some similar foaming oven cleaner.

I`ve used it in the past. wear gloves, leave a few minutes rub with a sponge and wash away with lots of water.

DO NOT WALK AWAY and leave it for 15 minutes though &#33;&#33;&#33;

I`ve never had it fail to shift stubborn brake dust..

Nige.

p.s. It is also really good for cleaning the grime off the bottom of a shower tray, just dont let it get onto your drain/ plug or it will remove the coating...

Nige
22-08-2006, 08:09 PM
did this method help clare?

mckeann
23-08-2006, 04:12 AM
sorry, you lost me on the second word. cleaner?????? what is this cleaning you speak of???? :gayfight:

Diver944
23-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Just remember that virtually ALL of these alloy wheel cleaners are powerful acid based chemicals and as well as removing the dust, will also be dissolving the clear lacquer on your painted wheels :o

You shouldn&#39;t really put anything on your wheels that you wouldn&#39;t like to sit on your bonnet.

(I have seen Clares wheels and they are seriously burnt on with dust :angry: )

GVK
04-09-2006, 12:15 AM
Don&#39;t ever use Hawk blue pads on a car you like the appearance of :lol:

I had to sand blast my track car wheels and T cut the whole car to get rid of the brown mess off the sides :huh: :huh:

Nasty pads, that have great bite :thumb:

omen666
04-09-2006, 06:58 AM
Hi Clare, sorry for the late reply just seen this thread.

I am a professional Detailer and don&#39;t expect to see to many threads on here about cleaning cars&#33; :gaypride:

Once the brake pad bits are bonded to the paint your into refurb territory I am afraid.

You can use an acidic cleaner, but I wouldn&#39;t recommend it because if it gets under any paintwork it will lift it.

Once cleaned you can try Autoglym Super Resin Polish. Then try a claybar to try and lift some bits, but at this point you really are fighting a loosing battle.

Autoglym to a product in their professional range called Wheel Brightener. Its acidic, but considered one of the best for this job.

I have the same problem, got my wheels from this to this, but won&#39;t go any further because the more you scrub the more paint you&#39;ll take off which leads you to a refurb anyway.

http://images2.fotki.com/v332/photos/5/537502/3796022/IMG_3834-vi.jpg

http://images14.fotki.com/v335/photos/5/537502/3796022/IMG_3836-vi.jpg

Root admin
04-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have given up and will be getting them refurbed at some point. Been away on holiday, so last thing on my mind right now :)

We did buy some other wheels off ebay so we could swap them over, but the seller is no longer a registered user and won&#39;t answer our emails&#33; Oh well, he obviously didn&#39;t want us to have them&#33;

Clare

jon_r
04-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Seen so many Clio wheels ruined by the PF&#39;s. They are fantastic, but deadly. Friend has just bought two new wheels for his Trophy as his fronts had gone from the grey to green&#33;