PDA

View Full Version : Ring suspension

vamos
18-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi guys,

quite a lot of you are or have in the past, driven imprezas around the Ring. I have a new MY 06 WRX Wagon, which will see the occasional ring trip, but also has to be my daily driver. What to do to the suspension?

Currently am thinking, coilovers, Whiteline ARB front and rear and anti-lift kit. Essentially the Powerstation T25 upgrade.

Any raises on this?

Thanks.

Dave Malings
18-08-2006, 02:56 PM
I'd say do nothing! For the occasional ring trip it'll be just fine.

Spend the money you save on more ring trips...... :thumb:

vamos
18-08-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Dave Malings@Aug 18 2006, 02:56 PM
I'd say do nothing! For the occasional ring trip it'll be just fine.

Spend the money you save on more ring trips...... :thumb:
:rolleyes:

Allright, more than the occasional trip. Truly, I am not that happy with the standard, even for road use, so I need to do something...

rear ARB at the minimum.

Any others who believe coilovers not worth the cash?

Thanks.

Simon
18-08-2006, 03:06 PM
as Dave says for occasional trips at least to start with leave alone tbh. Then you could put a front & rear adjustable arbs on it to tighten up the body roll as this will not effect the straight line ride. Did this on my P1 and it helped no end.

I have had the full T25 set up for 2 years on my MY03 STI & it is the dogs tbh but unless you plan loads of trips I would spend you cash on better brake pads / discs 1st.

Simon

vamos
18-08-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Simon@Aug 18 2006, 03:06 PM
as Dave says for occasional trips at least to start with leave alone tbh. Then you could put a front & rear adjustable arbs on it to tighten up the body roll as this will not effect the straight line ride. Did this on my P1 and it helped no end.

I have had the full T25 set up for 2 years on my MY03 STI & it is the dogs tbh but unless you plan loads of trips I would spend you cash on better brake pads / discs 1st.

Simon
Thanks.

Brake pads and discs are a given, that will happen as soon as the OM wear out.

I have a budget set aside for the suspension, and really would like to do it, as I had KW suspension on my alfa and have to say the handling was a lot better than the scooby is.

Will probably do one more trip with stock suspension this year, but plan upgrade for next season.

Cannot do too many trips because of family commitments - the limiting factor being time rather than money, so I really want to enjoy the trips I do to the max, and the curent wallowy feel of the car kind of bums me out :(

Just an insight - I have done one trip so far this year with the wrx, and was slower per lap than the alfa (155 bhp)!! :ph43r:

Gary Kinghorn
18-08-2006, 03:46 PM
With the money it would cost buy a 205 / Golf and leave it at the ring for a year. At least you will get some money back when you come to sell it, more than could be said for the bits you put on the Scoob :thumb:

Nige
18-08-2006, 03:47 PM
gary,

thats exactly what I`m thinking, was going to spend some on the Mazda, but the northloop car seems a better use of my money.

Nige.

Gary Kinghorn
18-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Its pretty much the reason I built my 205 in the first place ;)

Floyd
18-08-2006, 08:57 PM
If you were happy with the KW V3 on the Alfa then why not do it on the Scoob?

If you do go T25 at PS then please don't ask them for their Ring set up advice - it was erm interesting. My car was lowered to chav level and it eat into the wheel arch liners on some bends as well as bottoming out in Foxhole - not nice at 130mph :blink: Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh!

They did raise it and fit new springs to improve it :thumb: at my (expensive)cost :angry:

All this is factual and true.

F

Simon
19-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Floyd, think the problem is there classic advise re spring rates. On my new age it is fairly spot on (as you know yourself) but yours was a bit of a bummer to get right & you were not helped much tbh by them :(

Vamos, you are more than welcome to have a go in mine if I am there the same time as you or if you are anywhere near Milton Keynes a try in blighty :thumb:

warrenm2
19-08-2006, 11:54 PM
If you do get the coilovers with adj ride height, get the adjustable top mounts, and set castor to max! Adj rear ARB is a must

vamos
21-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Aug 18 2006, 03:46 PM
With the money it would cost buy a 205 / Golf and leave it at the ring for a year. At least you will get some money back when you come to sell it, more than could be said for the bits you put on the Scoob :thumb:
What is the realistic budget for that?

I can do the suspension upgrades for about 1400 quid, I can't see the DRT route being that cheap. Plus I get benefit of the upgrades on every backroad blast.

vamos
21-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Floyd@Aug 18 2006, 08:57 PM
If you were happy with the KW V3 on the Alfa then why not do it on the Scoob?

If you do go T25 at PS then please don't ask them for their Ring set up advice - it was erm interesting. My car was lowered to chav level and it eat into the wheel arch liners on some bends as well as bottoming out in Foxhole - not nice at 130mph :blink: Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh!

They did raise it and fit new springs to improve it :thumb: at my (expensive)cost :angry:

All this is factual and true.

F
That's what I am thinking - KW V3 plus the whiteline stuff from T25.

What spring rate are you at now BTW?

Gary Kinghorn
21-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by vamos@Aug 21 2006, 08:26 AM
What is the realistic budget for that?

I can do the suspension upgrades for about 1400 quid, I can't see the DRT route being that cheap. Plus I get benefit of the upgrades on every backroad blast.
Buy a 205 / golf for 800, spend the next 600 getting it how you want it (within reason) and 30-40 euros per month storage. The monthly storage will pay itself back from saved fuel bills :thumb:

The 205 / golf will be sellable the scoob money is lost.

I spent good knows how much on my scoob buying this part and that, when it came to sell I got pretty much std car money for it. The parts helped it sell quickly but I didnt get any of the money back.

Gary

vamos
21-08-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Simon@Aug 19 2006, 07:21 PM
Floyd, think the problem is there classic advise re spring rates. On my new age it is fairly spot on (as you know yourself) but yours was a bit of a bummer to get right & you were not helped much tbh by them :(

Vamos, you are more than welcome to have a go in mine if I am there the same time as you or if you are anywhere near Milton Keynes a try in blighty :thumb:
Thanks for the offer, I will likely next be there on the 1st of October, any good? MK unfortunately a bit out of the way, I live in Prague. :P

What spring rates do you have now?

Gary Kinghorn
21-08-2006, 07:38 AM
All that I said above is relevant unless you have plenty of money of course in which case nothing matters other than the fact you should have bought an STi ;)

Simon
21-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by vamos+Aug 21 2006, 08:32 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vamos @ Aug 21 2006, 08:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Simon@Aug 19 2006, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the offer, I will likely next be there on the 1st of October, any good? MK unfortunately a bit out of the way, I live in Prague. :P

What spring rates do you have now? [/b][/quote]
Could well be there that weekend :thumb: , will know in the next few days

vamos
21-08-2006, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by warrenm2@Aug 19 2006, 11:54 PM
If you do get the coilovers with adj ride height, get the adjustable top mounts, and set castor to max&#33; Adj rear ARB is a must
Also for you, my standard spring rate question - what are are you at?

Thanks to all BTW, for the help :D :affection:

vamos
21-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Aug 21 2006, 07:38 AM
All that I said above is relevant unless you have plenty of money of course in which case nothing matters other than the fact you should have bought an STi ;)
I will have to consider this some more. The wrx is a company car, so I was going to take the coilovers out when finished with it, and flog them on ebay. The great thing about is it does&#39;nt cost me anything to run, so I can aford higher wear and tear, and not get too hung up about the costs.

STI is a sore point, don&#39;t go there :lol:

Floyd
21-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Aug 21 2006, 07:32 AM
I spent good knows how much on my scoob buying this part and that, when it came to sell I got pretty much std car money for it. The parts helped it sell quickly but I didnt get any of the money back.

Gary
Roof scoop :rolleyes: I&#39;m sure that really made it go quicker :lol: :loser:

As for the spring rates, I tried 40/30 and now I&#39;m on 50/40, which has improved things but its not perfect.

F

p1doc
22-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Aug 21 2006, 08:25 AM

Roof scoop :rolleyes: I&#39;m sure that really made it go quicker :lol: :loser:

pmsl :P
martin

Martin STI
25-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Thats alright, having a Company WRX, fuel card too?

You lucky person :thumb:

vamos
29-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Martin STI@Aug 25 2006, 10:30 PM
Thats alright, having a Company WRX, fuel card too?

You lucky person :thumb:
Yup. :D

vamos
29-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Update on progress.

OK, stage one in the modding plan will be Whiteline ARBs 22mm front and 24mm rear, with metal droplinks. Hopefully this will stabilise things a little. It appears that the WRX wagon has 17mm ARB as standard (as opposed to 19 for the saloon and 21 for the STi) and plastic droplinks all round. That explains a lot.

Will throw in a ALK too, at the same time. Then, seeing how things go, will decide about whether coilovers are needed or not.

Performance discs, pads and braided hoses too.

PS: Gary, could you move this to the technical section please. Much obliged.

gorisan26
04-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Go for the type25 kit, it makes a whole world of difference&#33;&#33; It totaly kills the understeer that scoobs are generally cursed with and by adjusting the rear role bar and the damper settings you can set up as much neutral or oversteer as you want :thumb:

vamos
05-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by gorisan26@Sep 4 2006, 05:47 PM
Go for the type25 kit, it makes a whole world of difference&#33;&#33; It totaly kills the understeer that scoobs are generally cursed with and by adjusting the rear role bar and the damper settings you can set up as much neutral or oversteer as you want :thumb:
That is the general idea. I do not live in the UK, so Powerstation is not practicable for me, but I am getting there by other means. The ARBs, ALK and brake upgrade are going in before the October ring trip. :thumb:

KW v3 over the winter I expect. :whistle: