PDA

View Full Version : Easter 2009

leaod
14-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Glad to be finally writing my second report, one year after the first one.
Second trip to the ring, this time less tourist, less emotional but more concentration.

This is a Ring begginer and lover report, so you'll probably get bored reading.

Friday - 10th

3.30am - I "woke up" ready to put my blue elephant in the road towards Dover.

5.20am - We arrived at Dover and doing the check in at P&O I found out that I had booked the journeys wrong way around. Going, Calais - Dover then Dover Calais. Great.
because its easter P&O charged me 193 to "amend" my ticket. Giving me a very good friday start knowing I had paid a total of 298 (105 of the original ticket + 193) for a ferry trip.

8:30am (France time) - We complete the journey to Calais and started the trip to Nurburg which had just one stop for coffe and toilet as I was incredible anxious to get there.

2:00pm - After queueing for 30 minutes just 15 miles from our destination we finally got there.
First impression was "what the f*** is going on", as I've never seen so many cars and people together. I thought there was a massive party or something because that couldn't be normal. And it wasn't.

3:30pm
What a day, 25 degrees Celsius and an amazing sunny day. I watched the crowd going around the track for one and half hour, then decided to buy 8 laps and go for at least one on friday as it was too busy for me to actually enjoy the track.

I was very confident going for my first lap in 2009 and my lap number 5, as I kept studying the track after my first trip. It was brilliant but as well too busy. There was so many fast cars in the track that I had to stay most of the time letting people overtake me instead trying to make a good line.

After my lap I met some northloop members (forgive me but I'm awful with names), which I had the pleasure to see again at Jorg restaurant for a lovely diner. Didn't stay too late as I needed some sleep so I would be ready for few more laps on saturday.

Saturday 11th

7:30am - We woke up and had a lovely breakfast at Zur Burg Hotel and about 8:30 we were already at the track with Nige and Andrew Thompson which was installing a front diffuser to his GT3.

8:50am - I was begining my first lap of the day, track was almost empty and I could pay less attention to the mirrors and more attention to the corners and breaking points. It was very nice apart from 3 corners which I wasn't happy with my line.

http://www.leandroleao.com/easter/DSC02527.jpg

Went to the petrol station and came back for another lap which was very good, corrected the previous corners but wasn't sure with my line at the Adenauer Forst. I knew something wasn't right.

After the lap, Nige invited me for a dry lap as he had promissed when we met a year ago. Christ that was good. I had the opportunity to learn or at least pay attention to all the corners which I wasn't sure about how to cut. That was really fast, so much grip, I couldn't imagine doing some of those corners at that speed, flat out.

http://www.leandroleao.com/easter/lapwithnige.jpg
http://www.leandroleao.com/easter/lapwithnige02.jpg

When we finished the lap all that I wanted was to get my blue elephant on track and see what I could do after learning those things. So I went to another lap with Ana (wife), which was not freaking fast but nicely done. Was so nice to go for those corners again after doing a proper lap with Nige. It gave me not just confidence but as well some vision of what should be done.

10:30 - I left Ana at Flugplatz as I wanted to do a lap alone, more concentration, less responsibility and no extra noises apart from the engine and tyres.

Came back and did my first lap alone, have used less the breaks or even no breaks at all for some corners which I have learnt with Niges lap. It felt very very good, for the first time I could few the back of the car trying to slide in some corners as my blue elephant is heavy as hell.
That was a very good feeling, requiring much more car control then my previous laps.

http://www.leandroleao.com/easter/_dsc1629_wm.jpg

Next lap was even better, as I was having just improvements that morning, but was slightly scary as I felt at some corners that I was at the limit of the car grip, which was also allowing me to use the entire corner without loosing too much speed.

In those lap improvements I had the opportunity of keeping up and even overtaking some less experienced drivers (Subaru, Focus ST, and Peugeot 205 gti). That was a great feeling as I knew I was much faster then before.

Then I started understanding why some people said to me that my blue elephant was a good car for beginners.But every time I was going up hill I wanted to cry. Boring.

Lunch time and we went to the Pizzarie Pinochio which we had a bad service but the pizza was ok.

3.30pm - I took Ana for another lap and felt a bit tired after that, I had one more lap to do however I was satisfied with the previous 6 laps I've done on saturday. So we went to Luxembourg to make the wife happy and have to great food over there. Beautiful place.

http://www.leandroleao.com/easter/Touris030420090411.jpg

Result:
A great easter which I met some very nice people and had awesome time lapping around the green hell. Thanks Nige for the lap, you are a sensational driver and I like the way you talk about the ring, which is completely different from 70% of the people a met there. Thanks for your attention again mate.

Thanks everyone for the great time there and special thanks to Weeman for organizing the easter meal at Jorg restaurant, and it's a shame I didn't have opportunity to talk to you.

If you guys still reading this and haven't slept yet, you'll need a coffe now :D

:thumb:

rossm
14-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Nice write up, sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

So when you back?

leaod
14-04-2009, 09:07 PM
I'll try make it again in the summer (July).
Let's see what happens with this recession as the euro/pound is just not good right now.

rossm
14-04-2009, 09:09 PM
It's why overdrafts where invented

Tim in Yorkshire
14-04-2009, 09:10 PM
It looks like all that lapping loosened your front number plate :D

Good to hear that you had a great time.

Dino
14-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Booking Calais - Dover & Dover - Calais

FAIL! :lol:

Sorry but that did tickle me pink!

Excellent write up - I think someone has the bug :thumb:

leaod
14-04-2009, 09:37 PM
P&O rip off.
Nevertheless I paid 8.99 for a fish and chips which was tasty as oil.
I started missing the Belgium lunch at that point.
:lol:

leaod
14-04-2009, 09:42 PM
And I forgot to say that I saw a 306 flying there, making way less noise then others but very fast.

Weeman
14-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Great report chap, not sure if i met ya or not, I'm crap with names too hahah

willay
15-04-2009, 07:21 AM
good report!

Simon
15-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Glad that you had such a great time :thumb:

jon_r
15-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Ouch @ the ferry pricing, what a rip off! :o

Dan7357
19-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Good write up, P&O - :jerk:

oldFJman
20-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Leaod - nice to finally see who you are - we travelled 90% of the way there with you 20 yds away from us (Silver Nissan Navara with 2 Bikes on a trailer) - sometimes in front, sometimes behind. Ditch the sat-nav

I said to my wife that despite the Ring sticker on the back you probably hadn't been there much - I noticed a bit of hesitation at some of the motorway junctions and thought you weren't 100% sure where you were going........He He He !

Glad to see you enjoyed the trip and cheers for a decent write up - even if you didn't mention following us to get there.

Cheers

Chris D
20-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Good report, nice read. Bloody hell at P&O though :jerk:

How did you manage to get Calais-Dover and vice versa. I usually 'have' to change it to make sure i get Calais-Dover and vice versa being that i live on the continent.

leaod
22-04-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by oldFJman@Apr 20 2009, 09:20 PM
Leaod - nice to finally see who you are - we travelled 90% of the way there with you 20 yds away from us (Silver Nissan Navara with 2 Bikes on a trailer) - sometimes in front, sometimes behind. Ditch the sat-nav

I said to my wife that despite the Ring sticker on the back you probably hadn't been there much - I noticed a bit of hesitation at some of the motorway junctions and thought you weren't 100% sure where you were going........He He He !

Glad to see you enjoyed the trip and cheers for a decent write up - even if you didn't mention following us to get there.

Cheers
Mate, nice to see you here. :o
The trip to Nurburg following/leading you was very nice, shit we lost visual contact at that traffic 15 miles before we got in there.

Shame that I haven't meet you there as well though.

When you going again?

oldFJman
24-04-2009, 12:59 AM
It's looking like either 15th May weekend or 29th May weekend (more likely the latter).

I'll be hanging out with WellyGT and Sim (if it's wet and if he's going - bikes are no good there in the rain

Will confirm nearer the time and will catch up if you're there.