PDA

View Full Version : August 9

vamos
10-08-2006, 03:31 PM
First trip report, :wave: from my second trip, if you follow.

Sadly no photos, but a very quick and (virtually) unplanned trip, there and back on the same day. I was working it out and given a 40 minute closure, the ratio of motorway driving to ring driving was 11 to 1. That seems a little too adverse, so probably will not repeat this format.

Was in the car park coffeed and ticketed up in time for the 5.15 opening, about the 15 th car out, but there was a lot of traffic and lots of complete beginners, and it was carnage out there. People driving slow, fast, undertaking, pulling over to the left to let you past on the right, all manner of craziness :blink:

Not surprisingly, while I was on my second lap, there was a closure, and then the heavens opened up and it rained and rained. And then it rained some more.

I caught a glimpse of Nigel in his black Mazda in the car park while waiting for the track to reopen, but by the time I made my way over he had packed up and left. As did virtually everyone else. Now, having driven 700 kilometers, I figured that two laps was a little underwhelming. So I went out in the rain, and actually had a great time. The track was empty (nearly) and the slippery surface was challenging me in all the right ways. Or so I thought until a bit of a moment halfway up Kesselchen had me travelling backwards at 140 km/h. :ph43r:

Well, the less said about that the better, a lucky escape sums it up. Kept lapping after that, but did slow down a bit :whistle: Seven laps in total to bring my total lap count to 31. Sure expected to keep my shield clean for longer. :shame:

Drive home long but uneventful. Bed at 3 am very welcome. :affection:

Tony
10-08-2006, 03:34 PM
A day trip.......... are you fooking mad??!!! :o :lol: And how the hell did you manage to spin on the Kesselchen - it's virtually straight :lol:

Good effort though :thumb:

T

vamos
10-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Tony@Aug 10 2006, 03:34 PM
A day trip.......... are you fooking mad??!!! :o :lol: And how the hell did you manage to spin on the Kesselchen - it's virtually straight :lol:

Good effort though :thumb:

T
Yep, seems that way. Home in Prague not UK, so not quite as mad :ph43r:

Re Kesselchen: That's what I thought, so I was taking it completely flat. There is a kink halfway up, which I have never even really noticed before. But it appears that in the rain, there are rivulets of water running across the track, and...
Well, I span it... :shame:

Floyd
10-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Give this man a medal B) A day trip to the Ring is the stuff of legend :thumb:

Dare I ask how much that works out at :whistle:

Spin at Kesselchen :rolleyes: :P :loser: :gay:

F

Gary Kinghorn
10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Good report, lunatic day mind you ........

Gary

vamos
10-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Aug 10 2006, 04:17 PM
Good report, lunatic day mind you ........

Gary
Yeah, it's the kind of compromise parenthood pushes you into. :thumb:
Welcome to the club Gary :D :D

Am I the first Northlooper to spin at Kesselchen? :jerk: Well, there's a claim to fame. :wave: :loser:

Gary Kinghorn
10-08-2006, 06:16 PM
We watched a Noble demolish itself there in April, but he wsn't a northlooper :lol:

vamos
11-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Aug 10 2006, 03:56 PM

Company car, so just one extra tank to eke out the mileage 80 euros, 8 lap ticket 108 euros, coffee bun and sticker 10 euros, oh and a day off work - priceless.

Seems reasonable. :)

vamos
11-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Aug 10 2006, 06:16 PM
We watched a Noble demolish itself there in April, but he wsn't a northlooper :lol:
Pleased to learn it has a real name rather than just the "kink halfway up Kesselchen".
Maddock Bend - courtesy of Mr Teflon on the bend names thread. :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
11-08-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by vamos+Aug 11 2006, 02:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vamos @ Aug 11 2006, 02:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Floyd@Aug 10 2006, 03:56 PM

Company car, so just one extra tank to eke out the mileage 80 euros, 8 lap ticket 108 euros, coffee bun and sticker 10 euros, oh and a day off work - priceless.

Seems reasonable. :) [/b][/quote]
Cant believe you bought a sticker and not a northloop one :o :o wash your mouth out in soapy water young man

vamos
11-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Aug 11 2006, 03:07 PM

Cant believe you bought a sticker and not a northloop one :o :o wash your mouth out in soapy water young man
You weren&#39;t there Gary. :loser:

I do want a northloop sticker, so next time you are there, definitely save one for me.

Oh, and less of the young :D :lol:

Root admin
12-08-2006, 05:54 PM
We were there and had some stickers :)

RAiden
19-08-2006, 11:29 PM
I was there for a couple of laps, weather was errmmmm.. anyway it made for a nice empty track.
I don&#39;t think I saw any of you, you may have seen my little party of 14 Imprezas. It was the SIDC WRC Germany trip. As I had to pass the Nürburgring on the way I figured it&#39;d be rude not too.

So I took out the SIDC gang, all of them newbies to the Ring. They all had a great and incident free time. Needless to say they&#39;re all hooked now.

Message passed to sign up on here and let the learning curve begin.

I was in the white bugeye spec c impreza. If you see me down there in future, don&#39;t be shy and come say hello.

Hope to see some of you there soon.
Aston

vamos
21-08-2006, 09:41 AM
I did spot your car in the carpark - very cool. Next time hopefully will say hello as well :rolleyes:

The convoy of scoobies snaking off from the ring at the end of play was very impressive B)

slidersguesthouse
22-08-2006, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by vamos@Aug 11 2006, 02:29 PM
Pleased to learn it has a real name rather than just the "kink halfway up Kesselchen".
Maddock bend is the last or the 3 LH bends at the bottom of KS on the way out of bergwerk...are you not on about the r/l kink just before angst kurve????

vamos
22-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by slidersguesthouse+Aug 22 2006, 06:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (slidersguesthouse @ Aug 22 2006, 06:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-vamos@Aug 11 2006, 02:29 PM
Maddock bend is the last or the 3 LH bends at the bottom of KS on the way out of bergwerk...are you not on about the r/l kink just before angst kurve???? [/b][/quote]
Nope, definitely Maddock bend, the third and most pronounced of the LH kinks after Bergwerk.