PDA

View Full Version : Bravo Two Balls Up

leavingeasy
04-08-2006, 09:36 PM
The plan was cunning- go in under the cover of darkness, recover the fallen hero from the clutches of the evil hun, liase with fellow Ring veterans and then escape unnoticed- operation clutter is GO!

Like a great Andy McNab story- planning was everything. Up at 0130 for the 4am ferry- except getting my fellow squaddies (daddy and no.1 son- this a three generation exercise!) into my camo green Passat estate took slightly longer than anticipated, and 90 mins to travel 100 miles with a trailer is pushing it a bit!

No worries as our equipment was buggered and the ferry was delayed til 6am. So much for the cover of darkness.

Obviously for a secret mission like this carbs are essential. Three huge breakfasts seemed the best plan. Sorry daddy and son, but if you snooze you lose (weight in this case!)

Best run ever to Adenau saw us there at midday. Oliver (no.1 son) prepared for the impending struggle by watching two episodes of Star Wars and a Harry Potter. Daddy and I took our training much more seriously and listened to all of Blackadder Goes Forth for vital tips "Tally-Ho, Pip Pip and Bernards your Uncle!"

On arrival the weakened prisoner was skillfully whisked from under the noses of the scoundrel hun. Ok, so I actually bunged them 20 euros for storage and got soaked in the rain loading it onto the trailer. Ahhh the beloved Golf safe at last, going back to where it feels most secure- Uncle Benz's workshop.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3822.jpg

Stealth like we drove slowly away and headed for the Ringhaus. Double agent Frank welcomed us, we parked up the trailer and he took us the F1 circuit to meet some Russian schoolboy bloke, name forgotten, who is racing the Formula Renualt this weekend. Nice lad, very rich and going to be racing F1 within two years apprently. Felt only right I let my son show him how it should be done:
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3780.jpg
Shame he couldnt see out really, let alone reach the pedals!
After that, time to check out the opposition, so three genrations of Oak wandered aimlessly around the museum. THis was the highlight of Olivers trip apparently (thanks son!)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3782.jpg
Left there and it was dry!! Quick lets get to the track. It was empty, so my 102,000 mile Passat was treated some exercise, showed the old man a few lines I just randomly made up, then he took it out.
Now Daddy is a retired traffic cop, brought up on old cars from the Sweeney, he did his cops and robeer high speed chases (sorry pursuits) in stuff like P6 Rovers and mk1 Grannys- in short he can drive pretty well, especially stuff that is rubbish at going fast with skinny tyres and soft suspension- cue Passat 1.8t estate in green with dog guard and boot full of tools!
He did a great job- ignored all my crap advice, refused to rev above about 5000 rpm, was really smooth, not very fast and thoroughly enjoyed himself (whilst continung to feed the wheel and cover all controls like a true police driver)
When we got back in some bloke was waiting and gawping like an idiot. Turns out it was Nige. Nice one mate!
Ok so I know it was juvenille and irresponsible as the car had to get us home, but I chucked the family out and did a quick lap on my own. And yes I know its not about how fast you go, but my watch just happened to be running, and yes I know we dont need to prove anything to each other, but what the feck- it was 9.37 and I am chuffed!

Anyways after that Nige hunts me down nd takes me for a lap with him and the kids in his Mazda.

Great lap Nige, some lovely lines, nice and relaxed on the wheel, kids fooking brilliant in the back, the car is a bit rolly but fab compared to the Passat. Real nice lap, probably about 9.30 ish (factoring that Italian twat) and loads of spare capacity it seemed.

Ahhhhhhh dinner!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3792.jpg

And so to the evening- PK with Simon and his lovely family (and very patient wife eh "we'll just do a slow lap in the Scenic, Kayla. That's ok!") and Nige's family (fab kids already mentioned- my son loves Catharine) and Nige's wife who I quite fancied but decided that such things are best not said to a teacher!

Nige you are a top bloke- hope the weather got better!

I borrowed more money from Simon. This is kinda traditional I think.

Evening went like this- steak, chips, beer, thumb wars, random pictures by children
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3801.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3809.jpg
, more thumb wars,
cuddling Hannah (ahhhh bless)
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3818.jpg
bollox with Nige, home to bed (not with Nige's wife-this is is not Ringer Swingers- altho if you do want to swap Nige I can offer a scalextric and a go in a 747, might even chuck in a case of bit burger)

And so the next day we limped back, Golf broken but heading home for tea and medals. It rained all the way- but cheery texts from Simon told me it was great where he was- thanks mate, as long as you're alright!!
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3820.jpg

Oliver and Daddy had a great time, and despite the 800 miles in two days and hideous fuel consumption (av. 21mpg) so did I.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a397/leavingeasy/CIMG3826.jpg

Nige and Simon, thanks for a great evening guys, made our trip! You both have great families and look forward to seeing you all again soon.

Oakie

Steve Gill
05-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Great report :thumb:

DAN THE MAN
05-08-2006, 06:54 AM
yeah, class :D :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
05-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Made me smile on a hungover Saturday morning ....... great report Nick.

Gary

Floyd
06-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Entertaining report Nick :thumb: Mission success :thumb: I guess you didn't need the wooden horse or the Steve McQueens motor bike!

Its nice to know someone who has a trailor :D

F

Simon
06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
& the weather is still being kind to us Nick :thumb:

Simon (from th PK car park on the way back from a couple of laps with the boys :whistle:

Thorleif
06-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Nick, the kids said hello ;) , and by the way great report :thumb:

Stan
06-08-2006, 11:39 AM
Super report :thumb: I just want to jump in the car and drive to the ferry now!

Tony
06-08-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@Aug 4 2006, 10:36 PM
bollox with Nige, home to bed (not with Nige's wife-this is is not Ringer Swingers- altho if you do want to swap Nige I can offer a scalextric and a go in a 747, might even chuck in a case of bit burger)
PMSL :lol: :lol:

Great alternative report Nick :thumb:

T

leavingeasy
06-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Aug 6 2006, 10:08 AM

Its nice to know someone who has a trailor :D

F
Yes his name is Uncle Benz! :thumb:

leavingeasy
06-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Simon@Aug 6 2006, 11:05 AM
& the weather is still being kind to us Nick :thumb:

Simon (from th PK car park on the way back from a couple of laps with the boys :whistle:
lucky bugger!! ;)

leavingeasy
06-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Thorleif@Aug 6 2006, 11:06 AM
Nick, the kids said hello ;) , and by the way great report :thumb:
they are great kids Thorlief- I suggest a Northloop thumb wars championship, Nige's daughter is a killer, but your eldest had some mean moves too!! :thumb: :thumb:

GVK
06-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Haha, good report Nick :thumb:

pye21
07-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Excellent report Nick, just about the most entertaining i have read yet!

leavingeasy
07-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks pye! Compliment indeed! :thumb:

pye21
07-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Anytime ;)

vamos
07-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Good write up. Whets the appetite nicely for my own stealthy visit on wednesday. :P

claire
08-08-2006, 04:29 PM
weather is still nice Nick :thumb:

Simon, posting from Claires house :whistle:

Gary Kinghorn
08-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by claire@Aug 8 2006, 05:29 PM
weather is still nice Nick :thumb:

Simon, posting from Claires house :whistle:
Is Karl there? :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Root admin
08-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Brilliant report Nick. Shame we weren't there, but this weekend was great! :thumb:

leavingeasy
08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Clare@Aug 8 2006, 07:15 PM
Brilliant report Nick. Shame we weren't there, but this weekend was great! :thumb:
Really pleased- Nige was quite worried as it had rained all week for them and they didnt think you would enjoy the wet camping experience!

Bet the Renualt racing was great too- most jealous. Need just one more trip and then I will have scratched the itch. Go on, just one more, just the one, I will be fine after that....... :huh:

Root admin
08-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Nick,

Didn't watch too much of the racing. Did you see the massive big wheel they put up? :blink: Was really high! Shame the weather was misty otherwise we could have seen for miles.

Renault pulled out all the stops. There were all sorts of activities for the kids and Louise (Nige's wife - the one you fancy ;) ) and I spent an hour in the kiddies tent making sure they were all happy.

BTW, having to stop conversations at the campsite because a race had started on the GP track was quite amusing :)

leavingeasy
08-08-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Clare@Aug 8 2006, 07:30 PM

(Nige's wife - the one you fancy ;) )
Well you cant blame me for that- she is lovely!!!!

Missed the big wheel, sounds like a great weekend, wish I could have stayed but unfortunately I had to take a horrible piece of Golf junk to bits!

Nige
09-08-2006, 08:24 PM
I have just been told to look at this thread by Simon whilst having a wonderful Chinese at the restaurant in Adenau.
I wont go into the rights and wrongs of posting about fancying someone elses wife in a public forum :nono: , however I have 2 comments to make.

1. I think Robert Redfords offer of £1,000,000 is more attractive than a ride in an Aeroplane and a case of beer.

2. Louise blushed for about 10 minutes after reading this thread and hasnít stopped grinning since !!!

Nige.

leavingeasy
09-08-2006, 08:54 PM
TWO cases of Bit Burger then??

Nige
12-08-2006, 09:27 AM
i`m thinking of a 4 lane scalextric set, not the cheap 2 lane version...

superb report Nick. I really enjoyed meeting you, your dad and tired son !

I think I must be in an exclusive club anyway. I saw you take a car out for a lap and then drive it back under its own power ! :lol:

Simon
12-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@Aug 9 2006, 09:54 PM
TWO cases of Bit Burger then??
You're going a bit far now Nick :lol:

settle for the 4 lane set up & keep the beer :thumb:

Nige
12-08-2006, 09:56 PM
that was with 2 cases and the 4 lane setup !!!

leavingeasy
14-08-2006, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Aug 12 2006, 09:27 AM

I think I must be in an exclusive club anyway. I saw you take a car out for a lap and then drive it back under its own power ! :lol:
Cheeky bugger! You are right though and I'm hoping you have some photographic eveidence somewhere!!

HERALD THE RETURNING HERO- A WHOLE LAP WITHOUT BREAKING DOWN!!!

leavingeasy
14-08-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Aug 12 2006, 09:56 PM
that was with 2 cases and the 4 lane setup !!!
Wow you really negotiate hard but it seems a fair deal!

Now how much for Demi Moore?

Nige
16-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Now Daddy is a retired traffic cop, brought up on old cars from the Sweeney, he did his cops and robeer high speed chases (sorry pursuits) in stuff like P6 Rovers and mk1 Grannys- in short he can drive pretty well, especially stuff that is rubbish at going fast with skinny tyres and soft suspension- cue Passat 1.8t estate in green with dog guard and boot full of tools!
He did a great job- ignored all my crap advice, refused to rev above about 5000 rpm, was really smooth, not very fast and thoroughly enjoyed himself (whilst continung to feed the wheel and cover all controls like a true police driver)
When we got back in some bloke was waiting and gawping like an idiot. Turns out it was Nige. Nice one mate!

A photo (http://northloop.fotopic.net/p32900961.html)
Another. (http://northloop.fotopic.net/p32900964.html)

Managed to get a couple of photos of you returning...

leavingeasy
16-08-2006, 04:49 PM
Top man!! Daddy will be pleased!

As am I- proof I can do a lap without breaking something!

Louise
16-08-2006, 05:12 PM
hey Nick, and it was me who took the photo for you too!

leavingeasy
16-08-2006, 05:13 PM
Well that just makes it all the sweeter!!!! :affection: