PDA

View Full Version : Ring Report - 31 July, 2006

andyphilpott
01-08-2006, 12:52 PM
My second trip was a present for the father who had never surfed the delights of the tarmac waterfall that is the northloop as we all know it.

I've not got much time, but the highlights were that we flew to Koln with German Wings via Stansted (815 flight) - two return flights were 134 in total so not too bad, then picked up an Audi TT from car rental place (was reserved as that so well done of them having exactly what we wanted and ordered) and drove the 50 mins down to the Ring.

As it wasa Monday, there in plenty of time for it to open at 1pm, so spot of lunch (arriving just before 12pm as we did), and then out onto the circuit. Nice crowd of motors as always - the usual mentalist motorbikes who's ability in most cases and stupidity in others never ceases to amaze me, and 8 lasp were downed fairly quickly. Left at just after 4pm, drove back to Koln, again walked past the sex shop in Koln airport (amazing - everytime I see it I am amazed and still never been in), and caught the last flight back.

Costs were car hire, flight, 8 laps and petrol - and a lot of fun. ONe M3 took out his front right bumper and wing in a slef-imposed shunt, another RUF Porker went off but seemed to escape damage. TT was a very fine car to sprint around the Ring on, and on my second visit, time managed to come down from 10.30 in the previous 265bhp WRX to a more respectable 9.55 in the 180bhp TT.

Grin gone - memories... never!

Gary Kinghorn
01-08-2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for sharing Andy. :thumb:

I wont point you to the post Karl put up a couple of weeks ago where a rental car was caught on camera on the ring and a couple of days later involved in a heavy accident with its next customer. The rental company charge the guy who rented the car and used it on the ring for the full repair bill :whistle:

Did your Dad enjoy it?

andyphilpott
01-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Gary

Did read that - but I thought it was a toll road and thus went ever so slowly around ensuring the car received no harm to itself.... blah blah blah...

Dad had a blast though - but realised his reactions are slowler than mine hence nearly crapped myself a few times...

A

Gary Kinghorn
01-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Im amazed you got the car you requested. Think thats only the second time i've heard of that in the last 3 years ;)

andyphilpott
01-08-2006, 02:00 PM
I know, I was shocked too. Asked for 1.8T - got 1.8T - amazing...

By the way, your tagline should read...

You may well be quicker than me but you're ugly. I will always be gorgeous and can go faster

The your should be you're.

Cheers

Anal Andy

Gary Kinghorn
01-08-2006, 02:18 PM
thanks for that .........

You dont happen to be a teacher in the real world do you?

andyphilpott
01-08-2006, 03:21 PM
I wish...

Work in sports marketing and PR, sponsorship etc... thus details are often blinkin important. Although half the time I miss them as well...

A

Gary Kinghorn
01-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by andyphilpott@Aug 1 2006, 01:52 PM

As it wasa Monday, there in plenty of time for it to open at 1pm,
A gap between was and a would be good :whistle: :gayfight: ;)

andyphilpott
01-08-2006, 05:08 PM
Touche...

git

A

alan hay
03-08-2006, 08:15 PM
hi all great to be here,gary took a couple of pics of us on our bikes -this was our third year in a row at the nordschliefe for a week at a time. hope to put the bikers viewpoint across. we were at the nordschliefe on the week the biker lost his life,cars+bikes galore off at various points. we were speaking to a norwegian biker who had done 30 laps ,left the start with us took off+ 9 corners on had came off bigstyle.[thank you to the guys in the beemer who stopped to help. we come a long way from scotland to the ring+so the main objective is to go fast,be scared+go home intact. i ride a 2005 fireblade+ would like to say that bikers are not lemmings, the ring is a great leveller for riding+driving ability, just that bikers are more vulnerable in being caught out. have been round the ring in various cars, but how many car drivers would go round on the back, cars are a stable platform bikes are not-, bikers learn fast at the ring, you must to survive, ,pity too many learn this too late . cheers all :ph43r:

Gary Kinghorn
03-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Alan,

Thanks for joining the site. Its nice to have a few bikers joining up.

Enjoy the banter

Gary

Floyd
04-08-2006, 06:58 AM
Good trip report. I liked the 'tarmac waterfall' description :thumb:

F

Dino
04-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Floyd@Aug 4 2006, 06:58 AM
Good trip report. I liked the 'tarmac waterfall' description :thumb:

F
Agreed on that one. Never heard that description before :)

pye21
07-08-2006, 08:35 AM
^^ Me neither, seems to fit quite well though!

andyphilpott
14-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Blimey

Never thought my literary prose would be commented on - the tarmac waterfall. Not sure where it came from to be honest other than in my head, but it just seemed that you start off slow and get faster throughout the 'journey' - whether that be one lap or ten... and the ups and dows, with the potential to crash and burn at any stage...

OK, I'll get my coat...