PDA

View Full Version : Old and new tyres on a FWD car

Chris Ratcliff
04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
First of all, let me say this is for my cooking Focus, not some track car or Ring weapon...

A couple of years ago I put a new pair of Pirelli P6000s on the front of my Focus, and left the mismatched tyres on the back (One P6000, one Goodyear Eagle with a slow puncture).

The P6000s are shocking tyres, but for trundling to work and the odd attempt at sportiness, they're ok.

In order to improve the tyre situation, I'm going to get a new pair of tyres. My plan was Toyo T1-R (or similar) fitted to the rear wheels, then the rear wheels put on the front and vice versa. My rationale here is there's still plenty of meat on the current front tyres, so I'll put the nicer tyres on the front for drive and steering duties, and the old Ditchfinders relegated to following me around.

However, some 'wisdom' has been offered that stickier tyres should go on the back, as you don't want a lively rear end in a FWD car.

Personally, that sounds like a lot of fun, plus it's two similar road tyres, not R888s on the front and Steve Gill's old remoulds on the back...

So, to the wisdom of the forum, what say you?

Ian H
04-02-2009, 10:13 AM
New ones on the rear, older ones on the front.

Wear out the older ones then get new ones for the front.

Switch and repeat :D

Ian

Simon
04-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Ian Howell@Feb 4 2009, 11:13 AM

Ian
Agree. You need the good tyres to help control the car when braking :thumb:

Chris Ratcliff
04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Ian Howell@Feb 4 2009, 11:13 AM

Doesn't that mean every pair of tyres you buy will shift the handling balance one way or t'other?

It strikes me that New tyres on the front, older tyres on the back would keep things consistent, and give you the best power traction/braking...

Nige
04-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I thought it was always best tyres on the back :huh:

Rene Graff
04-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Nige@Feb 4 2009, 12:36 PM
I thought it was always best tyres on the back :huh:
And that should be right. A mechanic told me last time changing the tires: "Look if the older tires at the front lose grip in a corner and go understeering thatīs something most people can handle up to a special grade. But if the back comes along - most people will lose the car." Sounds ok to me.

DVW
04-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Id say new tyres on the back too, new tyres on the front will give you loads of tread squirm and thats gay.

Wear out the older tyres on the front then stick the rears on the front and replace the rears again, that way the tyres on the front are always scrubbed in.

Chris Ratcliff
04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Hmmm, seems like the back it is then.

One thought I had while crawling home in the snow on Monday was having newer, deeper tread on the driving wheels would help traction, but I guess that's only an issue when driving in anything that isn't tarmac...

As I said, sporty driving isn't the primary concern (or I'd be driving something sportier than a sodding Focus!), I just want to get the best out of the upgrade.

c_w
04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Best tyres always at the back on any type of driven car. Purely for a "safety" aspect that it won't induce oversteer. You'd be surprised how easily it happens if you put great tyres on the front (Bridgestone S02) and some Yokohamas on the back and drive in the damp. Turned my 205 in to a spinning top. Granted the 205 is probably a lot more sensitive to tyres than a Focus might but good practice is to fit better tyres to the rear.

DVW
04-02-2009, 11:10 AM
focuses are quite sporty IMO mate, might not be the quickest things in the world but they handle bloody well!

c_w
04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by DVW@Feb 4 2009, 12:10 PM
focuses are quite sporty IMO mate, might not be the quickest things in the world but they handle bloody well!
I didn't mean that, the focus is loads more planted and stable compared to 205 GTi which is super sensitive to anything not quite right with it.

rossm
04-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by DVW@Feb 4 2009, 01:10 PM
Have too agree, was very surprised when I first drove one a few years back just how well they handle :thumb:

GVK
04-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Once remember having a brand new set of GoodYear F1s on my Golf on the back and some 3 week old ones on the front, first roundabout = spinning top :lol:

Floyd
04-02-2009, 03:07 PM
I put T1's on the rear and Michelins on the front for the Andy Walsh training day. The back end came rounb very quickly and when Andy had a go it caught him out too :blink: I swapped them with Nige's help and the car was miles better. I've learnt my lesson. T1's are shit BTW.

Oli H
04-02-2009, 09:43 PM
For my cadwell track day at the end of the month, I have two well scrubbed R888s and two well scrubbed yoko paradas. Which should go where?

Going by what you guys are saying, the r888s need to go on the rear but I reckon they'd be better up front where they're easier to heat up. What could I then do with the parada's pressures to keep the balance?

GVK
04-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Unless you're Jean Ragnotti in disguise, I wouldn't run R tyres on the front and normal tyres on the rear on a fwd, unless 1/4 miling up 'the pod'

Bloke I know wrote off a mk2 Golf running Dunlop formula Rs on the front and road tyres on the rear - sudden oversteer + tree interface. :o

You might be able to handle it, but then again.... you might not :D

Oli H
04-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by GVK@Feb 4 2009, 10:47 PM
Unless you're Jean Ragnotti in disguise, I wouldn't run R tyres on the front and normal tyres on the rear on a fwd, unless 1/4 miling up 'the pod'

Bloke I know wrote off a mk2 Golf running Dunlop formula Rs on the front and road tyres on the rear - sudden oversteer + tree interface. :o

You might be able to handle it, but then again.... you might not :D
Young un-experienced driver, 205 gti, r-rated fronts road rears, first time at a slippy cadwell.... maybe not then :lol:

Having said that, i've actually got a couple of 205/50 dunlop D01Js. Not sure if they'll clear my arches but I could run them up front with the 195/50 r888s on the back or would it be much of the same, just a larger higher speed crash do you think!? :(

GVK
04-02-2009, 10:23 PM
In all honesty if it's your first time at Cadwell have you got 4 road tyres to use? Gets very slippery through Hall bends - Barn in the winter, I've very nearly come a cropper through there :o

I'd be wary of using 2 different types of R tyres front and rear as well.

Oli H
04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I have got 4 paradas on my track wheels but one got a puncture in the sidewall somehow, so is unrepairable.

I then have 4 eagle f1's on the road wheels, which don't hold up very well on track tbh. Sidewalls are way too soft.

In my shed, I have 2x 195/50 r888s and 3x 205/50 D01Js which are all quite worn.

Stace
05-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Chris, put the new ones on the front, then once this sodding snow clears, get the trolley out and put them on the back :thumb:

Steph
05-02-2009, 08:08 AM
I was driving with new on the back and slicks on the front of my motor the other day, admittedly it was due to a fecked top mount.

No trouble whats so ever.

Then again I am a driving God

Ian H
05-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Steph@Feb 5 2009, 09:08 AM
Then again I am a driving God
Mr Modest again Steph :lol:

Ian

GVK
05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm sure Sim (and Teflon) remember your 360 @ SX .... Steph :lol:

Ian H
05-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by GVK@Feb 5 2009, 09:46 AM
I'm sure Sim (and Teflon) remember your 360 @ SX .... Steph :lol:
So do I :lol:

Ian

GVK
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
I went passed in ianv's mk1 as Steph was nailing the bumper back on, muck spread over the track :lol:

Ian H
05-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by GVK@Feb 5 2009, 11:13 AM
I went passed in ianv's mk1 as Steph was NAILING the bumper back on, muck spread over the track :lol:
Literally :lol:

Ian