PDA

View Full Version : Our trip 28th June-3rd July

SimonR32
13-07-2006, 11:02 AM
:whistle:
Sorry this is a late write up but its took us this long to recover and get back to normality! It was the best trip over so far for us, we went over with 4 cars and meet up with another 3 over there. We arrived relatively unscathed although I did decide to take us through Liege! I fancied a challenge (what I do for kicks!!!)

Arrived tired and went straight to the Motorsport for refreshments and food. On this trip I went with my wife and two small kids and was worried how we would get on. To be honest everyone enjoyed going especially as I took Garys advice on places to visit! While we were waiting for the track to open Friday morning we ventured into Cochem. Its just as your write up says..im glad we went and all agreed that we would go back again for a longer visit and to try more wine!!! Even took the land train ride around the town (sat in a mobile plastic green house in 30 degrees of heat).

Tried to find the "Midgetgolf" but failed!

The first couple of laps on the Ring were slow. We took our time but within 3 laps we were off! (as in going faster) I still cant believe how friendly everyone is in the car park. People would just come up and chat and we gained valuable info.

The only bust ups we saw in the car park were between British bikers....

To split up the following days with the intense heat we ventured to Daun for the toboggan run! At first we were all too grown up to have a go but ended up getting very competitive using the ultra light toboggans. Four of our down hill team came off at speed.....one still has bruised ribs!!! The guy running it gave us all free goes, either as we spent so long there or for his entertainment value "Oooh noo, you Brits go tooo fast"

Lapping times on the Ring came down. My Pathfinder with a "car full" managed 12min16secs, got loads of friendly waves from people, either because I was quick to get out the way or they were amused in what I was attempting to force around the corners!

My wife took the skyline around and enjoyed herself, went out late after 7pm to try and have a quite lap, which worked.

I managed a 8min48sec in traffic (my best to date) and have a little bit more to give. A BMW 320 followed me for the lap videoing and would not pass. Watched him in my mirrors locking up around some of the tighter corners, no matter how much i indicated over he just sat there. I met up with the German guy back in the car park and had a good chat, he wanted some video footage and certainly got it. He gave us loads of advice and I realise that I need to go for some sticky Proxy 888s or Potenzas, not sure which yet.

Our hotelier said that our time was "fast enough". He was worried as he had had the two unlucky bikers staying at his place and while we were there a lotus elise owner decided to write his car off and go home with a large cut to his head....we took his advice and drove well within our limits.

The only let down during the trip was an attempted meal at the Pistonclowse (spelt wrong!) wont go into details....

Trip back was also good but very hot.

Thanks to everyones info thats posted on this website as it was invaluable to our trip.....we are all counting the days to the next time!!!

we are all now addicted. :wave:

Thanks again

:)

Simon
13-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Nice little write up there Simon :thumb:

Gary did point out your car to me but I never saw you to come & say hello, maybe next time :D

You have to elaborate on the PK now btw. We had 2 nights in there & it was 1st class for us lot.

GVK
13-07-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the write up :thumb:

We need more on here! :D

Floyd
13-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Nice report :thumb: I must do the 'sights' too B)

As for 8:48 on your first trip, good time but the hotelier was giving good advice :ph43r: Try not to chase fast times as it can easily end in tears, just enjoy the track instead. Oh, and same advice for the Ring as its just as dangerous as the toboggan run :whistle:

F

SimonR32
13-07-2006, 12:42 PM
:P Never had so many laughs (on toboggon run) :P

PK was great for us the two late nights we had in there drinking until 1am ish (cant really remember) :whistle: One evening we booked a table for 14 early in the evening, 7.30 ish. We went down and they had us set up in the recess to the left of the bar. We had asked for upstairs and it was empty! but they said no. So we gave in and began to sit down but my 4 year old wouldnt move along the bench seat for some reason. So, theres six of us asking him to move and he wouldnt so i squeeze through to find the seat covered with someones regurgitated food all over the bench! everywhere, you couldnt miss it!. Im sure it wasnt me from the night before! :blink: Anyway, we told the two girls behind the bar and they said "yes!", i had to show them , but they weren't intereseted, so we downed our glasses and on mass marched out, up the road.....on the way out i know 2 other groups of UK tourists watched the commotion and followed us out the door........

We will give them another chance but that night they couldnt be arsed! As a large group we were spending a lot each evening on food and drinks so thought they would have helped us more! :(

PS Whats everyones views on Proxy 888's :huh:

Simon
13-07-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SimonR32@Jul 13 2006, 01:42 PM
to find the seat covered with someones regurgitated food all over the bench! everywhere, you couldnt miss it!.
Ross. Was it yours :lol:

We experienced some German ' service ' that weekend with the ADAC. I always thought the Germans were the most efficient in Europe, not any more :angry:

leavingeasy
13-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I felt used and abused by the German attitude to us, my money taken only to be cast aside like a used condom.

I was emotionally damaged by the harsh words and insincere feelings they showed me. Their attitiude was uncaring and in my delicate state I was left vunerable and scarred.

I will not be returning.

Well until 3rd July.

Simon
13-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@Jul 13 2006, 04:42 PM
I felt used and abused by the German attitude to us, my money taken only to be cast aside like a used condom.

I was emotionally damaged by the harsh words and insincere feelings they showed me. Their attitiude was uncaring and in my delicate state I was left vunerable and scarred.

I will not be returning.

Well until 3rd July.
Nick, you need to learn how to say Fcuk in German :thumb:

Yar Herr Ramsey!!!

Gary Kinghorn
13-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Great write up Simon, glad you had a good weekend. I'm also glad that the advice on what to visit in the area helped. By the way you are only competetive on the Rodelbahn when you are timing yourself and doing video laps..........Damn where is that video :thumb:

Look forward to meeting you again

Gary

SimonR32
14-07-2006, 11:39 AM
:thumb: Thanks again for the "what to do" advice.....PS: we've got great video! although a little shaky :whistle: :ph43r:

Nige
14-07-2006, 12:07 PM
good report !

I`m glad garys advice of what to do is OK. I`ve printed it out and it is our guide for what to do when we go in a couple of weeks....

Nige.

Gary Kinghorn
15-07-2006, 08:32 AM
If any of you guys go anywhere you think is worthy of adding to the list PLEASE make note of it and pm me the details when you get back. :thumb:

HJM
27-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Ha, just found this - nice write up Simon, it was a great trip :thumb:

If anyone is interested, my pictures are HERE (http://www.hjm.smugmug.com/gallery/1633856) - although most of them are not of cars!!

Despite walking from Nurburg to Breidscheid and getting eaten alive by flies, I didn't really get many decent pictures - it was too bloomin' hot!!

Still, there is always next time - which will be our 5th trip (Simon, you got some catching up to do :whistle: )

J :)