PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 924

Chris D
10-01-2009, 05:03 PM
Popped to REAL shopping earlier with another couple, he's also a bit of a petrol head too . Anyway, across the road is a car dealer with a shed load of old motors, BM's, mercs, a couple of porkers and there's even an old RHD XJ6 3.4 stashed in a corner gathering mould.

Had a gander around and we were talking about a possible DRT. 500 each, if it needs a bit of work then we have the facilities and expertise (REME) to get it BFG'd (similar standards to the TUV) so no road tax etc.

So, we saw these two 924's tucked away at the back:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/project_xr2i_trackcar/DSC00423.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/project_xr2i_trackcar/DSC00424.jpg

We couldnt see too much as it was so cold the windows had frozen inside and out. They both look like they've been there a while, the first one looks a lot better than the second one though, it also has some Le Mans stickers on it but i'm not sure if it actually is the Le Mans special edition. I think both were manual too. We're gonna call the dealer on Monday (other fella's missus is german) and get some more info and of course, a ball park price for each of them.

A quick search on Autotrader comes up with prices as low as 650 for runners ready to drive away, Mobile.de (german equivalent of autotrader) show 2k and upwards :o.

So, has anyone ever owned one of these, or at least had any experience with them. What to look for and what to expect.

Clearly if the dealer comes back with an extortionate figure on monday then the idea will be shit canned.

Also, whilst we were there, we saw this which i liked:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v695/project_xr2i_trackcar/DSC00425.jpg

Only trouble though, it was either 4k or 8k, i cant remember which but well out of my budget.

Pete R
10-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I'd love an old bargain bucket Porsche as a bit of a resto project, I suspect there's no such thing as a cheap Porsche though. Lack of space for one does help prevent me making silly impulse purchases.

I realise this doesn't help but that's my two penneth.

lizard
10-01-2009, 06:43 PM
A 2.5 924S is a cracking car, same engine as 944 2.5, well ok 10 bhp less for early ones but same for later ones, the regular 2.0 is more than a tad flacid.

Put proper suspension on a 924s & you'll have gem.

Jim Cameron
10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
PM Hersham Boy, I think he's involved with the owners club / UK website

Rory
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Good post! :thumb:

Have been thinking for a while about what to buy as a DRT when finances permit and I reckon your idea is good one! A 2.5 924s with a few mods like suspension, wheels and tyres could make a cracking DRT (first DRT in my case)! Don't know much about them but I love the idea!

Also just checked on pistonheads and there are a few of them there for sale for really low money! Hmmmm.... :thumb:

Chris D
10-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Well hopefully then, the one in the first pic is a 2.5 and a runner but, more importantly a good price.

Time will tell, roll on monday eh.

Rory
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Good luck :thumb:

Chris D
13-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Bit of an update.....

Phoned the owner. He wants 1000 for each of the 924's :o :nono:

Neither have a TUV and they havent been started since he's had them. The second one needs new tyres all round.

Unless he has a reality check thats that idea canned :rolleyes:

Weeman
13-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Van engine FTFW!!!!

Simon
13-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Weeman@Jan 13 2009, 03:28 PM
Van engine FTFW!!!!
:lol: :lol: . Chris. Is he not open to offers on the 1K then?

Chris D
13-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Havent asked yet, the mates missus was the one that called. Will ask him to check but i'm doubtful.