PDA

View Full Version : 25.06.06 - what a nice day!

Ringumrundender
25-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Ok, it was hot and very humid.

But the oldtimers in the morning (up to 10 AM) were very nice!

Some of the drivers even "raced" their cars! Some went wide onto the rumblestrip at the exit. :blink:

(at least one of them crashed though...but only damage to the car - still a shame!)

The Northloop opened @ 10:30.

Probably due to the Worldcup and F1 it was`n too crowded, and not too much newbies. :thumb:

Saw Karl in his blue Ford,but even at the gate he was too quick for me. :P

After trying here and there and listening to other peoples advice, I could enter the sub 9min club now.But only just. BTG of course. :whistle:

Did I mention that it was hot? I never had any problems with my brakes, until today:
Breaking for Wehrseifen I had to pump the brake twice.The pads are quite thin,will replace them for next weekend. :unsure:

In the afternoon,just at DöHö a nice thunderstorm helped to cool the car. :D

After that the whole Place was deserted.

Did 3 laps in the rain,and even at Brünnchen there was nobody.

Then off to the ringhaus for some food and the F1 race.

Headed home at 9 PM.

A really nice day!

Carsten

Gary Kinghorn
26-06-2006, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the report Carsten. Look forward to meeting you next weekend.

Gary

leavingeasy
26-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Oh I really cant wait now- see you next weekend! :thumb:

Simon
26-06-2006, 07:12 AM
Nice one Carsten. I to will see you next weekend :thumb:

Karl
26-06-2006, 07:13 AM
I saw you driving through the carpark Carsten, you didn't look too slow at all ;)

I did seven laps, all good fun, the highlight would have to be passing the French registered blue Ferrari at PG1, not that I like passing Ferraris in an estate you understand :lol: The last lap I did at about 13:00hrs I passed two bikes on the whole lap, that was it, a sunny Sunday afternoon and two bikes, nothing else was on the track :blink:

Ringumrundender
26-06-2006, 07:26 AM
Nice!Looking forward to meet you!

BTW: A Camera crew from the lokal TV "stopped" me at the gate.They asked about
why to be here,and the problems with cars/Bikes.

...hopefully I didn´t look too stupid...
:D had my Helmet and sunglasses on though.That should have helped! B) :ph43r:

:D Yeah Karl, in the carpark I´m one of the fastest!

Carsten

Euan
26-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry I missed you Carsten.

I arrived Fri afternoon, sun was blazing, got 12 laps in through to closing time.
Some laps were very nice, empty track B) Hot work though :blink:

Chinese in Adenau with Jochen and SG535D, boy are those portions man sized - perfect :thumb: As I'd driven to Adenau it was Cokes all night long, which presented the rare opportunity of potentially being capable of getting up early on a Sat morning! So I decided to get down to the track for 7.45am to watch the Oldtimers doing their early morning Nordschleife laps.

Saturday - went to Hocheichen, I was the only person in sight, and the sun was shining. Just bloody nice it was! Then in the distance I heard the roar of lots of cars coming out the pits on the GP track. First vehicles round were a group of 12 old bikes, Nortons and the like. Beautiful sound. Then loads and loads of just plain lovely old cars, huge 1930's Blower Bentleys, massive old Mercedes Benzs, Maseratis, Bugattis, etc, and lots wearing old vintage racing goggles, leather helmets. It was like stepping back in time. Took plenty of photos - will upload them later. The cars were circulating for 2 hours, great stuff. Some were out sightseeing at a sedate pace with the wife and children, some were full on racing. An interesting mix. Not so great was that several were dropping fluids visibly, I thought I'd let someone else be first out once the public sessions started :ph43r:

Met up with Job after lunch, and did 3 laps driving the VLN Merc. Has new rear springs which feel much better, but frustratingly there is a recurring engine problem where we are losing power for a second or two after each gearchange. Hope it will be fixed for VLN race in two weeks, otherwise we will be a mobile chicane, we need every one of those bhp as it is :(

Got some more sweaty laps in Sat afternoon. Once the Germany World Cup game started at 5pm, the place was deserted :thumb:

Nurburg was busy in the evenings with all the Oldtimer crowds, so we paid a return visit to the Chinese in Adenau, 10 of us sitting outside was v pleasant. Returned to the Pistenklause once it had quietened down for a few drinks with M3 CSL (Thorleif) and Niek into the wee small hours ;)

Sunday was busier again. Did 4 laps in the Merc then got fed up with the engine problem. So did 4 laps in the 968. With a bit of spectating in between, it was suddenly 4pm and time to head home. Absolutely pi**ed it down near Prum, and rained non stop the whole of Belgium and most of France. But then again I did have Ross aka 'Lucky' as my passenger :blink: :lol:

Gary Kinghorn
26-06-2006, 12:23 PM
Good report Euan, thanks for sharing once again.

Be nice to see your photo's.

Gary

Pooky
26-06-2006, 01:11 PM
I think I must have managed to miss everyone except for SG535 this weekend, although never having met any of you makes it a little difficult to recognise you in the car park...

I was there Friday afternoon and Saturday until about 4.30 when I went home, did 20 laps in total and cooked both front brake calipers and the diff, it got so hot a fountain of oil came out the breather all over the rear suspension. The long left hand climb after Bergwerk was what was causing the problem, the smell of diff oil seemed to come and then go on this section, I thought it was from a Focus RS that was smoking up the hill at this section earlier in the day.

When we drained the oil it was actually bubbling in the container. Managed to refill it with a combination of the cooked oil, diff oil, gearbox oil and engine oil for the drive home. Need to work out a way of cooling it properly before the next visit although I wonder if it was because I started doing 3 laps at a time. And Euan was right it was very sweaty work so to speak, what with 26 deg ambient and no aircon.

I was in the yellow M3 if anyone spotted me.

rossm
26-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Euan@Jun 26 2006, 10:39 AM
Absolutely pi**ed it down near Prum, and rained non stop the whole of Belgium and most of France. But then again I did have Ross aka 'Lucky' as my passenger :blink: :lol:
Wasn't rain as such, just a bit of drizzle :whistle:

Euan
26-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Pooky@Jun 26 2006, 01:11 PM
I think I must have managed to miss everyone except for SG535 this weekend, although never having met any of you makes it a little difficult to recognise you in the car park...

I spotted a stripped yellow E36 M3 coupe over the weekend with 'M3 ***' number plate - was that you?

Pooky
26-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Euan+Jun 26 2006, 03:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Euan @ Jun 26 2006, 03:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pooky@Jun 26 2006, 01:11 PM

I spotted a stripped yellow E36 M3 coupe over the weekend with &#39;M3 ***&#39; number plate - was that you? [/b][/quote]
Yeah, that was me. What were you in?

Euan
26-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Pooky@Jun 26 2006, 04:20 PM
I spotted a stripped yellow E36 M3 coupe over the weekend with &#39;M3 ***&#39; number plate - was that you? [/QUOTE]
Yeah, that was me. What were you in? [/quote]
I was in a blue 968 Clubsport - I remember you came past me on one lap, you looked to be going very nicely :) :thumb:

Pooky
26-06-2006, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Euan@Jun 26 2006, 06:00 PM
I spotted a stripped yellow E36 M3 coupe over the weekend with &#39;M3 ***&#39; number plate - was that you?
Yeah, that was me. What were you in? [/QUOTE]
I was in a blue 968 Clubsport - I remember you came past me on one lap, you looked to be going very nicely :) :thumb: [/quote]
I remember your car, parked next to it at one point. Always wanted one of those, it was my first choice before the M3 but they were just too expensive, especially as I wanted to strip it out and stuff. Does it have the full sport pack with lsd etc? Noticed you had nice big brakes which are on my shopping list. Wouldn&#39;t mind a ride if we are ever there at the same time again.

Euan
26-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Pooky@Jun 26 2006, 06:32 PM
I remember your car, parked next to it at one point. Always wanted one of those, it was my first choice before the M3 but they were just too expensive, especially as I wanted to strip it out and stuff. Does it have the full sport pack with lsd etc? Noticed you had nice big brakes which are on my shopping list. Wouldn&#39;t mind a ride if we are ever there at the same time again.
You must have picked your M3 up for a nice price then, because I thought 968&#39;s were relatively cheap :)

My car has stiffer suspension, lsd, and bigger brakes on the front. So it&#39;s more track oriented than the standard 968.

What sort of mods have you done to your M3? Looked nice B)

Pooky
26-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Euan@Jun 26 2006, 08:00 PM
You must have picked your M3 up for a nice price then, because I thought 968&#39;s were relatively cheap :)

My car has stiffer suspension, lsd, and bigger brakes on the front. So it&#39;s more track oriented than the standard 968.

What sort of mods have you done to your M3? Looked nice B)
M3s are dirt cheap now and make a really good track car with some few mods.

Obviously it&#39;s completely stripped with cage and buckets, runs Bilstein PSS9 with eibach ARBs, EVO steering rack, EVO cylinder head conversion, Pagid RS29 pads and Yoko A048s. Its about 180 kg lighter than standard which helps.

Ringumrundender
26-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Euan@Jun 26 2006, 10:39 AM
Sorry I missed you Carsten.

I arrived Fri afternoon, sun was blazing, got 12 laps in through to closing time.
Some laps were very nice, empty track B) Hot work though :blink:

Met up with Job after lunch, and did 3 laps driving the VLN Merc. Has new rear springs which feel much better, but frustratingly there is a recurring engine problem where we are losing power for a second or two after each gearchange. Hope it will be fixed for VLN race in two weeks, otherwise we will be a mobile chicane, we need every one of those bhp as it is :(

Got some more sweaty laps in Sat afternoon. Once the Germany World Cup game started at 5pm, the place was deserted :thumb:

Nurburg was busy in the evenings with all the Oldtimer crowds, so we paid a return visit to the Chinese in Adenau, 10 of us sitting outside was v pleasant. Returned to the Pistenklause once it had quietened down for a few drinks with M3 CSL (Thorleif) and Niek into the wee small hours ;)

Sunday was busier again. Did 4 laps in the Merc then got fed up with the engine problem. So did 4 laps in the 968. With a bit of spectating in between, it was suddenly 4pm and time to head home. Absolutely pi**ed it down near Prum, and rained non stop the whole of Belgium and most of France. But then again I did have Ross aka &#39;Lucky&#39; as my passenger :blink: :lol:

We will meet at the ringhaus on Sat.08july I hope?

Have seen the merc at the gate. B)

A shame to hear about the engine probs. :(

Nice report.

Carsten