PDA

View Full Version : 24 h - they are totally mad!

Ringumrundender
19-06-2006, 08:50 PM
I arrived at the Ringhaus(Hotel altes Forsthaus) saturday evening.

Because of the good weather I haven`t booked a room.Brought my Bicycle and a rucksack with winterclothing for the night with me.

Had a quick look at the main gate,but since nothing special happend there, I went straight to Galgenkopf.After some time on to Kleines Karussell.

:blink: ...totally blocked by campers!
The area inside Schwalbenschwanz/Kleines Karussell looked like some sort of Invasion.
Saw the Wiesmann Race car there.Very nice.But not again.Didn´t last very long...

Since all the best spots were blocked I went on to Brünnchen on the Inside of the track.(nice to have a bicycle..)

So arriving at the tunnel in Brünnchen,I met two marshalls.They wanted to be there!"It´s not so crowded down here" :P

Brünnchen was a shock to me:tons of drunken people,with mega-watt stereo`s
only watching if a crash accurred.

Had a quick Currywurst,and left asap for Wippermann.It was getting dark.

This was the second worst part: The complete fence was blocked by constructions.
Some times 5 Meters high.Didn´t notice any wall that needed paint on the northloop. ;)

After some struggle I found a spot to watch.

-The Corvette was dead slow.
-The scooby looked impressive!
-Manthey/Alzen and all the other Frontrunners where VERY quick!
(some interesting lines... :) )

@ Midnight I arrived at Breitscheid. :o
The Mallorca Beach drinkers are like well behaved old folks compared to these....IDIOTS!
This was the worst I have seen Yet.
There were even some marshalls there just to make shure that the track was clear after each firework.And they fired a lot!
If Carl has any chance to organise a bombing run at tis target, I´m fine with it.

But, like the weather here, it was much better just a few steps up the hill.

Stayed at Kallenhard until 05:30.
-Manthey looked smooth.If a normal car came just behind, it looked as they had a brakedown.
-Some of the small cars didn´t even brake for spiegelkurve. :lol:
-One Car hat a illuminated red roof!(very cool!)
-Lots of understeer-action (and even squeeling) from the FWD`s.
-Very very cool Opel Manta,with a foxtail mounted on the roof.(Quick also)

(it got quite cold @ 03:00....brrrrr)

After a quick look into Metzgesfeld (also completly blocked by the wall painters)

I went down the hill to get me some breakfast.
Probably the early hours,or lack of training,but the way up to the Ringhaus felt steep.

Breakfast until 08:00 at the Hotel.

Then off (by car, my legs were dead by now) to Kottenborn.
A nice uncrowded look up to Flugplatz.
(And the sun was nice too)

Sitting there you could see the big speeg differences.
-The standard grey merc with automatic transmission was very entertaining.
-Heard over radio, tthat the 1-series diesel moved up to 5th overall.
they did 2,5 hour stints,only because of the regulations.(Max time for one driver)
They could go longer! B)

Then, @ 13:00 just in front of us, a Porsche GT3 blew his left rear tyre!
The bits of rubber could be found on the path were we were standing.
The car suffered, but the driver seemed ok.

Also here Manthey + Alzen were very fast.The grey merc looked like using cruise-control.

Very interesting how often the frontrunners needed to overtake.

Laptime at this time from Manthey: just a bit under 9 mins!

Than off to T 13.
Arrived there at 14:30
Waved at the brave,and left for home.

BTW:already booked a room for next year. ;)

Will avoid Breitscheid and Brünnchen next time though.

Carsten

Simon
19-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Cracking report there Carsten :thumb:

I would love to watch this one year thought it seems hard work to find a spot not full of drunks :o . We saw them the week before setting up, Gary even spotted a washing machine running on the side of the road :unsure:

Simon

leavingeasy
19-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Great report Carsten.

I love 24h races, the atmosphere is always incredible. Will try and get along next year and join the mallorca beach set!

Oakie

Ringumrundender
19-06-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@Jun 19 2006, 09:10 PM
Great report Carsten.

I love 24h races, the atmosphere is always incredible. Will try and get along next year and join the mallorca beach set!

Oakie
:lol:

They even had a big pool there.The liquid (?water? :unsure: ) in there was steaming a bit when I passed them in the morning.

If you want to party,go to Brünnchen. Watch out for the bombing raid in Breitscheid though. ;)

Carsten

pete_rallye
19-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Simon@Jun 19 2006, 09:10 PM

I would love to watch this one year thought it seems hard work to find a spot not full of drunks :o . We saw them the week before setting up, Gary even spotted a washing machine running on the side of the road :unsure:

Simon
Why find a spot that isn't full of drunk's, when you can be one of the drunks?! I'd really like to go and watch the 24hr, nice warm sleeping bag and lot's of beer are essential, fireworks are optional!

Ringumrundender
19-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by pete_rallye+Jun 19 2006, 10:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (pete_rallye &#064; Jun 19 2006, 10:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Simon@Jun 19 2006, 09:10 PM

Simon
Why find a spot that isn&#39;t full of drunk&#39;s, when you can be one of the drunks?&#33; I&#39;d really like to go and watch the 24hr, nice warm sleeping bag and lot&#39;s of beer are essential, fireworks are optional&#33;[/b][/quote]
:huh:

Must be the english humor that I will never really understand.

:D

You will have to stand in your sleeping bag to watch the race&#33;

:whistle:

And there are cheaper and easier ways to get drunk/have a party.

BTW:most of the party folks left 2 hours before the end of the race.

But I´m shurely the odd one out. :gaypride:

Carsten

GVK
19-06-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the report Carsten, very good :thumb: :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
20-06-2006, 06:48 AM
Great insight into the 24hour. Thanks Carsten.

Every year Dave and I say we will go, as yet we havent quite managed it. Maybe next year Dave?

Gary

Karl
20-06-2006, 07:07 AM
It&#39;s the same every year at Breidscheid, they start setting up on the Sunday evening and the Monday, then go nuts and party until the following Sunday morning of the race, then nearly all disappear a few hours before the race ends. They&#39;re really there for the party, not the race. It all adds to the special atmosphere though :thumb:

Euan
20-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Nice read Carsten - thanks :)

Re fireworks - I love this picture&#33;

http://www.lhussier.com/cars/24h_Nurburgring_2006/images/24h_Nurburgring_2006_211.jpg

Ringumrundender
20-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Nice picutre&#33;

This view was the best I remember from Breitscheid/Wehrseifen,because I made it
through there without a scratch. :D

Will never forget the big VeDub tent there. <_<

Carsten