PDA

View Full Version : Tony's "non event" Sept 2008!!

Tony
17-09-2008, 01:07 AM
I get the feeling that this trip was never meant to be. In preparing the M3 anything that could be awkward was and, combined with a busy period at work, the car was never finished in time. I came to the conclusion that, rather than rush it and get the jobs wrong, it was better to accept defeat. Therefore I got hold of Dale at RSR and booked a Clio and decided to travel in comfort in the M5 B)

I had been promised a few laps passengering Monkey in his VLN Porsche for the past couple of years and I had finally made the time to take up the offer. The VLN practice is on Friday afternoons so Thursday afternoon was the time I was due to depart ................ lo and behold the Chunnel fire had started.

Therefore, Plan C was put into action and I booked an early Ferry crossing Friday morning. The trouble being that various things came up at work so I only left Cornwall at 9pm........... Junction 8 to 9 of the M20 was closed for Operation Stack - i.e. they park all chunnel freight on the motorway between these two junctions when there is a closure - so I eventually got to the Ashford PremierInn at 1am.

The 5am alarm was not met with much enthusiasm :angry:

I drove down to Dover expecting it to be very busy and it was totally empty :huh: so I caught the 6.25 ferry across (Sea France Cezanne - which was the shittiest ferry I have ever been on :argue: ) The crossing was uneventful but the journey to Germany was wet almost all the way.

As I drove up to the circuit I feared that my trip had been in vain as Nurburg Castle was completely shrouded in mist and it was raining heavily.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/fog.jpg
Indeed, upon joining the drivers in the paddock I discovered that they had managed only one wet lap before a Ferrari had detonated itself just after Fluplatz corner and the track was closed. On the plus side, the rain had now abated and the cool breeze meant that the track was at least drying.

After an hour of waiting the pitlane was re-opened and my time had come. I was strapped into the passenger seat next to Monkey and given strict instructions not to kick the radio between my feet and to hold on!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC08223.jpg
I have been lucky to have had several passenger laps on the old circuit with Monkey in various very fast cars so the initial acceleration of the 997 Cup car was impressive but not mind blowing. This, I suspect, is largely due to the speed sapping characteristics of a wide circuit, as the car is capable of running a mid 8 second 0-100mph! However, what rapidly became apparent is that, once the tyres were up to temperature, the grip of the car was on a different planet to anything else I had experienced. The 997 Cup car is fitted to ABS which combined with big discs, low weight, slicks and some downforce meant that the braking zones were about half of what I would have expected and it was like hitting the proverbial brick wall.

Most of the first lap is a bit of a blur until we reached the Dottinger Hohe straight. I was about to experience the whole straight at full chat including the Antoniusbuche kink. I think the STACK read-out stated 271kph as we went under the bridge but the car was remarkably unflustered by such a feat although the whole width of the track had to be used!

After the Hohenrain chicane we were back to the start again and it suddenly dawned on me that Monkey had said that he would take it easy on the first lap to get everything up to temperature and that the second would be a fast lap………..

If your only experience of vehicle dynamics is of a road car then everything goes out the window. The over-riding memories are of the enormous grip, the spectacular sequential gearbox and the epic brakes. If I could have a road car that did this I would be a happy man!

This made me laugh though I'm sure some of you will have seen it before!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC08224.jpg

The evening was spent in the Pistenklause consuming the usual hot rock steak :thumb:

The next morning I had a lie in B) The first ever in Germany and I managed to scrape myself out of bed by 11am! I wandered up to the pits but we were almost instantly called up to the media centre for a drivers meeting. Sadly during qualifying one of the BMW 120d racer suffered a rupture fuel tank which spilt bio-diesel all down the track for almost a kilometer which meant they had to abandon the race. The GmbH guy even showed us a couple of pics of the track including a shot of the road sweeper drifting on the slick :lol: Monkey and the other drivers exited stage right and headed back to the UK so I stuck around and met up with Dave (Pooky).

We headed off down to Adenau - a first for me :shame: - and had an excellent pizza in Pinochios. We then had a 4pm appointment with Karl in the Comfy Corner which turned into an all day session :thumb: Loads of other 'loopers turned up including me, Pooky, Karl, Mrs Karl, Hippychick and Andy, Thorleif, Espen, Andy (cpufreak), Steve Gill, Jochen, Ed (thanks for the lift home fella :thumb: ), Jorg (obviously!), Andy Carlisle and a couple of Thorleif's friends that I didn't get to speak to.

Jorg made us drink his schnapps and I had a couple of wafer thin beers whilst Karl tried to do a complete lap of his beer mat! Jorg also proceeded to cook up a feast for us all B) and we eventually made it bak to the Am Tiergarten just before midnight.

The next morning was a perfect morning
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC08227.jpg
so we got up early, breakfasted, went down to Adenau to retrieve Dave's Jag and headed off to RSR to pick up the Clio in anticipation of being at the circuit by 8am............... well you know what's coming next :(

I waited around until 11am but was told by the Gmbh guy in the office that the track was unlikely to re-open again at all so I made the decision to set off.

The journey back to Calais was very fast and the M5 was epic B) B) Fast, quiet, comfortable and subtle enought to have slipped under the radar :thumb: Sadly the chunnel was still closed so I had to go back to the ferry port and wait for over three hours for the next crossing :angry:
I evntually got back to Cornwall at 11pm having been twelve hours in the saddle. Had the chunnel been open I would have made it in just over eight :o :nono: :wave:

Although I didn't get to drive any laps over the weekend and appear to have driven 1500 miles just for a few beers, it wasn't a complete busted flush. I had the laps in the VLN and was able to put some faces to people in here. I also loved driving the M5 as it apparently can take all that is thrown at it - from drifting up the road from Adenau, to dispatching the road to Gerolstein with distain, to covering huge distances in complete comfort - it was awesome :veryhappy:

Gary Kinghorn
17-09-2008, 06:42 AM
Enoyed that Tony, thanks for sharing :thumb:

Jim Cameron
17-09-2008, 06:45 AM
Not bad for a non-event Tony! How frustrating, to wait longer at the port than the drive took you :lol:

Sorry I couldn't make it, sounds like I missed a good night.

Floyd
17-09-2008, 06:54 AM
It must have been impressive doing a couple of laps in the VLN car B)

A big night with Karl and the crew is good too :thumb:

I must check these M5's out...

Darren Langeveld
17-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Nice report Tony!

I've had a few similar trips, never turned a wheel on the NS for one reason or another, but always enjoyable nonetheless!

Dave Malings
17-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Did the track open at all on the Sunday?

Dave Malings
17-09-2008, 07:25 AM
...got my answer on the other report :thumb:

Tony
17-09-2008, 07:39 AM
Yes - I got a text from Helen to say that it opened at midday for seven minutes before it closed again!!

I'm not too pissed off that it did re-open though it would have been nice to have put in a couple of laps.

Nevermind, there is always next year if I don't go on the November RMA day :thumb:

Nige
17-09-2008, 07:41 AM
To say you didn`t drive a lap, thats a bloody good report :thumb:

I have a feeling the VLN experience is something that is hard to believe until you`ve experienced it. I have only been in 1 car with slicks and bloody hell, the braking and cornering speed was in a different league to what I have previously thought possible.

Doing it on the ring must have been fantastic and I think you capture that in your report. :thumb:

Thanks for posting it for us to enjoy.

Weeman
17-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Great report Tone, shame about all the feck ups, did wonder who would be effected by the fire when i heard it on the radio :(

Simon
17-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Sounds like you still had a ball, Tony :thumb:

Love this picture, shame about the smudge in the bottom left hand corner :whistle:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k110/tonyeyles/DSC08227.jpg

Pedro
17-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Really cool stuff, your description of the VLN laps was great :thumb:

George Bolton
17-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Agree with your sentiments on the E39 Tony Awsome cars, but were you not temted to take it on the ring rather than the clio.

Tony
17-09-2008, 09:21 AM
No George! Although I have recently replaced the front discs and pads the brakes are still sh*t :lol: Although it would be a bit of a boat on track, if I trusted the brakes I would give it a go.

I had intended to do one very sedate lap so that the car could earn it's boot sticker, but it has come home without one :(

Gary Kinghorn
17-09-2008, 09:52 AM
One of my best trips was last November and effectively there was no lapping then either. Chilling out with Darren, Russ, Sonny and the guys made up for it though :thumb:

Floyd
17-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Did Sonny tell you about his boat? :whistle:

Tony
17-09-2008, 11:21 AM
:huh: Eh?

Floyd
17-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@Sep 17 2008, 10:52 AM
Chilling out with Darren, Russ, Sonny and the guys made up for it though :thumb:
Not aimed at you Tony, but Gary ;) I take it you've not met Sonny? He seems to know his stuff :thumb:

Tony
17-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Ah OK - invade my thread with your social musings why don't you? :angry: :P :lol:

Floyd
17-09-2008, 11:39 AM
I'd hate for you to feel ignored if we didn't polute your thread. Just thinking of you, OK? :whistle:

Tony
17-09-2008, 01:44 PM
:D Ahhh I have that warm fuzzy feeling............

...... it's called vomit ;) :lol:

Karl
17-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Good report, nice to meet you, there, I've said it :angry:

leavingeasy
17-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Excellent report Tony: none of those sickening pictures Nige posts of him being a good parent, clearly designed to make me feel guilty, or people having a wonderful time, further designed to make me feel like a sad loser. Which obviously I am not- after all look at me now- I'm in Las Vegas, sat on my laptop, in my room, on my own....... :loser:

Descriptive, excellent use of grammar and punctuation, and a fine use of colour. I feel you could have explored the "morning after" in slightly more detail, but on the whole a fine effort, well worthy of my report of the day gold star.

Well done.

Simon
17-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Nick. Put it all on black :thumb:

Tony
17-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@Sep 17 2008, 03:02 PM
Excellent report Tony: none of those sickening pictures Nige posts of him being a good parent, clearly designed to make me feel guilty, or people having a wonderful time, further designed to make me feel like a sad loser. Which obviously I am not- after all look at me now- I'm in Las Vegas, sat on my laptop, in my room, on my own....... :loser:

Descriptive, excellent use of grammar and punctuation, and a fine use of colour. I feel you could have explored the "morning after" in slightly more detail, but on the whole a fine effort, well worthy of my report of the day gold star.

Well done.
Merci Bien Professeur ;)

Hangover was not as bad as it should have been considering they were the first beers I have drunk in ten years :whistle: More of a G&T man normally :smack:

How is sunny Las Vegas?

LOL @ Simon

Tony
17-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Karl@Sep 17 2008, 02:56 PM
Good report, nice to meet you, there, I've said it :angry:
Yeah whatever - grumpy old git :karl: ;)

The pleasure was all mine Karl :thumb:

Karl
17-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Tony@Sep 17 2008, 04:12 PM
Hangover was not as bad as it should have been considering they were the first beers I have drunk in ten years :whistle: More of a G&T man normally :smack:

I was glad when you did order one though, when I arrived and you were on the Coke I thought you were maybe a ghey :blink:

Karl
17-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Tony@Sep 17 2008, 04:14 PM
The pleasure was all mine Karl :thumb:
I know :lol:

Tony
17-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Karl@Sep 17 2008, 03:14 PM
I was glad when you did order one though, when I arrived and you were on the Coke I thought you were maybe a ghey :blink:
We'd just finished a big pizza at Pinochios and I was too full for beer............ but it didn't last long as you may have noticed ;) :lol:

Pooky
17-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I hate beer. And Karl.

Floyd
17-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Pooky@Sep 17 2008, 03:32 PM
I hate beer. And Karl.
He speaks well of you! :P

crossie
17-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Great Report and photos - shame no lappage!

Jorg
18-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by Pooky@Sep 17 2008, 02:32 PM
I hate beer. And Karl.
OK,

but what do you think about the eifelfeuer?????? B)

@Tony good report :thumb:

it was nice to meet you and pooky :veryhappy:

Tony
18-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Jorg@Sep 18 2008, 08:17 AM
it was nice to meet you and pooky :veryhappy:
And you too :thumb: Thanks for the schnapps ................................ I think! :D B)

Hippychick
21-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Sorry Tony but I was a bit squiffy that night at the CC and I don't remember promising to not post this....

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t300/hippychick_H/P9130017.jpg

Floyd
21-09-2008, 09:00 PM
:o