PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's Sprint Results, 31.08 North Weald

Baz
01-09-2008, 12:27 PM
The next instalment of news for those interested, following on from the last event; report here;
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Northloop/index...topic=11117&hl= (http://z8.invisionfree.com/Northloop/index.php?showtopic=11117&hl=)

I attended the 7oaks MC Sprint at North Weald yesterday. After much deliberation between which car to use, raising the ride height of the white 1.9, having both manifolds off and re-sealing them, fitting a std backbox, removing the strut brace etc etc, i then decided to use the blue 1.6 anyway!! :rolleyes: The weather forecast looked dire, so i stuck with the car i knew better, and handles well, despite the distinct lack of power over the 1.9!

Arrived at about 8am in the fog, signed on and prepped the car for scrutineering, and said hello to a few regulars, Dave Daniels, usually in a cosworth powered Metro 6R4 replica, had his new toy out, a rear engined 2.7 V6 (Honda/Rover) wide arched 205! An old school friend's mum & dad -Paul, new to sprinting had decided to bring along one of his toys, a home-built ZX9 Ninja engined Mini! Also dad's old friend Tony Beesley and his son Paul. Tony usually has a bike engined Jedi single seater, but bought a Longman prepared c190bhp 1.9 GTi on twin 45's at the start of the season as a toy, and has been using that more recently due to the Jedi blowing it's engine!

All scrutineered and ready for first practise, i hadn't walked the course :shame: so wasn't sure which version they'd used, and what they may have changed, so took it gingerly really!

First half they'd used the extended route, off the line down the straight, slow for 3 pairs(gates) of cones formed to make a chicane, nicely spaced but still tight when at speed, down the rest of the straight to a sharp right, through a coned 'gate' and down to a sharp left, out of that and a slight right through a coned gate, stay right and up to an anti-clockwise very tight and fairly slow hairpin, then back on yourself where you came, back through the gate, stay left of the cone upto the 1st coned gate again, round to the left and back onto the straight, blast up to a high speed left hander (60mph ish) through a coned gate, They'd moved this upward a little to usual, off the bump in the middle of the airfield so not having to slow so much, as the bump in the corner usually turfs you sideways, (had a big sideways moment there earlier in the year!) so could keep on the throttle, but subsequestly made the exit closer to the grass, then up to a 180d hairpin left, but got caught out where they'd added some laying down cones to filter us into the hairpins, staying out wide as usual to then come back across, it completely threw me and i went wide of the first few laying cones, and had to cut in afterwards, knowing this was a wrong route i then took it easy, a short blast to a 180d right hairpin, back up a straight, briefly into third and brake hard for a 100d ish right, and short blast to the finish line. Time was around 107 seconds iirc.

2nd practise, then in number order, was about getting it right this time! Set a 105.5 iirc, which wasn't looking too bad, but knew there was more to come!

1st timed run came, me being number one meant the first out, no pressure!! Went very well, felt like i was taking it easy, but it was going very smoothly, despite grabbing 5th and having a few gear selection issues as usual, (rods are odd length i think, must get round to sorting/changing them!) felt very good, quick!

No one had their eye on the clock so i had to wait for the times to be revealed, suspense! and i was buzzing with adrenalin, when the times came up i was a little shocked, 101.*, around 4 seconds off!

2nd timed run wasn't so good due to a few hiccups, again i was having major gearchange issues, wouldn't go into gear, it's had new gearbox oil recently in an attempt to better it, but always been difficult, the gearstick sits way to the left, and more recently feels like the clutch may be on it's way out, had suspicions of it dragging when out at the ring a few weeks ago. Set a 103.* this time.

3rd timed run and the rain started to fall, sat on the line waiting for the all clear, being the first to run, had to wait for the timekeepr's to set up the next round of runs, then there was question of not running at all due to the rain starting, but after a few minutes, and now a damp track, i got the green light..., i initially didn't worry about the damp, a little sketchy through the chicane, but under braking to the right hander into the first complex the car was very twitchy! stepping one way then the other, had to cadence brake to stop it locking and fight the back end from being loose, i then decided it was a bit too damp to try hard! Managed a 106 from memory.

The first timed run stood as best, which seemed to be a good time, judging that the golf and clio in my class (small entry this time) were seconds off, and both Paul in the Mini, Tony in his 205 and Dave in the RWD 205 all set 101.*, all understandably quicker, but i wasn't far off to be in the same few hundredths!

Overall very chuffed, especially after last time out in the 1.9 and the bad words that were muttered against me for having a non completely standard car, so going out there and doing the same with 300cc less, i think i've proved my worth! The car suited the course very well, not needing the extra power for twisty bits. Very pleased indeed, another 1st in Class trophy, and puts me a few points closer to the S2000 that's ahead of me in the championship, and a few points ahead of the Civic TypeR behind me in third. :D

Darren Langeveld
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM
Good Effort!

Nige
01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
great effort :thumb:

I dont understand the scoring / timing though ?

Gary Kinghorn
01-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Is there a Northloop sticker on your race car? It would be nice to have one on something successful :lol: :lol:

Crossle
01-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@Sep 1 2008, 03:13 PM
Is there a Northloop sticker on your race car? It would be nice to have one on something successful :lol: :lol:
The Northloop sticker is the only part of Faffmeisters car that still works properly...

When is your next outing Baz?

Gary Kinghorn
01-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Crossle@Sep 1 2008, 04:17 PM
The Northloop sticker is the only part of Faffmeisters car that still works properly...

I wondered if you would spot that :lol: :lol:

Baz
01-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@Sep 1 2008, 02:13 PM
There is a small one on the blue 205 i used yesterday, not on the white 1.9 though, feel free to bring more to combe for the free ad placements!! :thumb: :lol:

Baz
01-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Crossle@Sep 1 2008, 03:17 PM

Next round is at North Weald airfield again, not far from J7 M11, on the 21st. B)

Faffmeister
01-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@Sep 1 2008, 02:13 PM
Well done that man. Was starting to think that the sticker was my jinx!!!

Crossle
01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Last time I did a sprint there was in 1973. I think there will still some Spitfires parked up from the Battle of Britain...

Baz
01-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Sep 1 2008, 01:39 PM
great effort :thumb:

I dont understand the scoring / timing though ?
Cheers Nige!

The timing is in seconds, they're only short circuits. Where i've put, for example ''103.*'' The star denotes that i've forgotton the exact time... :whistle: :lol:

Hopefully the results with times and some pictures will appaear before too long! :D

Gary Kinghorn
01-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Will take stickers to combe :thumb:

Baz
05-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Results are up for anyone interested! :thumb:

pdf: http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/results/nw080831.pdf

xls: http://www.sevenoaksmotorclub.com/results/nw080831.xls

:D