PDA

View Full Version : 19th - 22nd 2006 May trip

Tony
23-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Friday 19th
Drove up to London in time for a meal with friends in Clapham then an early night. Mileage: 290 miles

Saturday 20th
Drove to the Chunnel and met up with two friends driving an Exige and a Maserati Grandsport. A dry start considering the forecast but dark clouds loomed across the channel. Sure enough, twenty miles into the jouney it started p*ssing with rain. I had been unsure as to whether to take my spare rims with the R888s because of the forecast, but had put them in on the premise that if I didn't it would be dry. However, my journey was considerably less stressful than the guy in the Exige because A048's, 800kg and standing water is not a good combination :blink:
We got to the 'ring in decent time nonetheless to find that the VLN had been red flagged due to rain. Apparently the top speed along the Dottinger straight had been about 40mph above which the cars aquaplaned off.

However, the sun came out and they managed to get the track open for 6.15pm meaning that we had a good hour of tracktime. As I was going through the barriers I looked across and saw a red UK 968 CS - I knew I had to look out for one belonging to TC17 - so smiled, raised a thumb which was reciprocated - and off we went.
I don't know about you guys, by my first sighting lap of any trip is always a "12 minuter" just to make sure that the track is dry and the car's fluids are up to temp etc. TC came past me like a rat up a drainpipe, knowing that the track was dry, and started off the weekend with a low 8 minute lap - crazy, but very impressive ;)

The rain had obviously put most of the locals off and so I was able to put in seven clear laps although I hadn't had the chance to change the wheels and so was still on crappy road tyres, not helped by the fact that there were still a few streams running across the apex of a couple of corners - notably the downhill right hander at the start of the Hatzehbach and on the fast lefthander entry to Metzgesfeld :blink: Did one last lap and passed a LandRover which I think was being driven by NeVeTaS and MADDOG - interesting lean angles :D

Went back to the Am Tiergarten, changed my wheels, had a Fillet Hot Rock steak, too many G&T's and an early night! ;)
Mileage: 640

Sunday 21st

Awoke to grey skies but little rain. Went out for my first lap at 8.20am and the track was damp but not too bad. Took it easy as by now I was on the R888's but actually built up speed quite quickly as their damp grip is pretty good :thumb:
There was a shower at about 10am which slowed everyone down, but there was a noticable lack of bikers except a bunch of British plate guys.
Again the track dried out quickly due to the wind and we were able to get a lot of quiet laps. On one of these laps I went past the Ring Racing hire M3 driven by NeV and so was able to find them afterwards for a chat. I also eventually managed to speak to TC having waved at each other during the day B) I think he was relieved to discover that I think that my track rims are spectacularly chavvy too :lol: (for those who don't know I have a set of TSW Venoms which only ever see the light of day at tracks - they come with a free Burberry cap!! :whistle: )
Anyway, there was one last shower at lunchtime and so we headed for the Brunnchen viewing area for a bite to eat - better currywurst mit frites than the Grunne Holle snack bar :thumb:

Returned to the carpark which was now pretty full as the track was soaking so I decided to go out for a gentle lap to see how much wet grip (as opposed to damp) the tyres had. It turned out that the track was bone dry from AF to Schwalbenschwanz so had several very good laps when I was then only person on track :thumb:

The day continued to be grey but dry and the sun even appeared at 6pm. The track was now getting busier with all of the locals coming out of the woodwork, but it was still nothing like the chaos in the summer. We lapped until 6.45pm but I am still not getting below the 8.45-8.50 mark. The car is very quick on the faster constant radius corners - downhill from Kallenhard and up the Kesselchen, but it is too heavy and the suspension too soft to change direction quickly from Hohe Acht to Pfanzgarten.
Still, it's bloody good fun, survived 24 laps and it's still a great everyday car back in Cornwall ;)

Steak in the Pistenklause and too much gin were the name of the game for the evening culminating in me falling asleep in the bath for two hours - and if you have seen the size of the Am Tiergarten baths thats quite something :whistle: Sadly I had arranged to have a beer with NeV and MADDOG in the Pistenklause but presumed that they had decided to eat elsewhere until NeV said goodnight as they walked out! Sorry guys, didn't see you come in, although I could well have been changing my wheels again when you arrived.
Mileage: 960

Monday 22nd

A very wet day again - weren't we lucky over the weekend? The journey home, however, was very nearly a catastrophe. We were following a lorry from Kelberg to Gerolstein and the driver was travellin far too fast for the dreadful conditions (the Exige was skating again) and, long story short,, oversteered the lorry and it's full size trailer around one of the downhill bends. Had anyone been driving the other way it would have been carnage, and I'm still not sure how the driver managed to pull it back :blink: Looking at the tyre tracks the rear of the trailer was on the verge of the offside road :nono: A lucky escape by all as had he hit something solid we would have piled into the back of the wreck. :o

The rest of the trip was pretty wet and uneventful and my carbon chav bucket is surprisingly comfortable. My arse only went numb from Exeter onwards :lol:
Got home at 7pm in time to put the kids to bed :thumb:
Mileage: 1590.... in three days!

A top weekend so roll on July for the next instalment :affection:

T

Nige
23-05-2006, 05:10 PM
great report. Thanks for sharing !

got any photos?

TC17
23-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Hi Tony

Nice to hear you got back OK !

Good to meet up and in particular take a close look at those wheels :hehegay:

Had a great time likewise, car running really well until my last lap when I decided to take 3rd a bit too early up into the SS before High Hut, umm......... a bit of valve bounce or something not nice ! :o

Car drove home fine just a bit of an annoying vibration at 4k which is yet to be diagnosed.

Best timed Lap BTG ended up being 8.20 late on Sunday, which has bettered my previous by 20 seconds.

Look forward to seeing you back at the Ring soon

Cheers

TC

Tony
23-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Good to meet you too TC - hope the engine isn't fooked! You'll have to give me a pax lap next time if I can squeeze my gut through your roll cage :whistle: :lol:

Here's to the next trip not being too far away :thumb:

T

Simon
23-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Nice report Tony :thumb: Looks as thou you did well with the weather & got a load of laps in, 24 is a good tally!

2 weeks & 3 days for my 1st trip this year, not that I a counting :lol:

Simon

Floyd
23-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Wow, that has to be one of the fastest reports after returning, ever :thumb:

Looked like you had good fun B)

F

Hammoc
23-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Good report ;) ...but you are not helping those of us without trips on the horizon :(

Chris

Tony
23-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Simon@May 23 2006, 08:52 PM
24 is a good tally!
Must admit I was quite pleased with that in the knowledge that we only got an hour in on the Saturday :thumb: I think it was the lack of people that made it easier (and more pleasant) - more like it used to be before Clarkson put the 'ring on the map :angry:

Nevermind, there's still nowhere like it - I just wish it was near Bristol not a 1600mile round trip! :lol:

T

GVK
24-05-2006, 01:45 AM
Nice report Tony :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
24-05-2006, 06:41 AM
Nice report Tony, thanks for sharing........

More of the same sort of report required from other people me thinks :thumb:

Andrew
24-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Excellent report. Needs pics though :D

Euan
24-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by TC17@May 23 2006, 05:54 PM
Hi Tony

Best timed Lap BTG ended up being 8.20 late on Sunday, which has bettered my previous by 20 seconds.

TC
Good read Tony :thumb:

TC - did we meet couple of months back? I met a Tony with a red 968CS in the car park and had a chat, who was there with (his brother?) in a GT3. I've got a blue 968CS, and was there at the same time.

Anyway, whether that was you or not, I was gonna say 8.20 btg is a bloody excellent time! B) Do you reckon there's much more to come? What sort of tyres were you running?

Hope the engine problem is something minor.

Euan

TC17
24-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Hi Euan

Yes I am the same guy you met in March !

Running Dunlop SSR's

With respect to the time, I don't think I can find anymore with the current set up full MO30 (Koni Sports etc).

I will be investing in either KW 3 way adjustable (Full race as opposed to Variant 3) or something else.

To do these laps I was on the absolute limit with several "moments" which lets say..... soiled my underwear :o

I reckon I could find a bit more time with better tyres and more race focussed chassis, I don't imagine much more though unless I can get more engine performance which as you know is expensive on the 968.

I've got to say, the car is the absolute Bo**ox causing embarrasment to plenty of exotica ;)

Spoke to JZ's about the engine noise, sounds like the piston has hit a valve or a problem with the Vario Cam, I am going over there tomorrow for them to have an initial look...let's hope it is not bad news :( I am confident it is something minor

What your thoughts on KW ?

Cheers

TC

Gary Kinghorn
24-05-2006, 03:10 PM
TC17, I've lost count of the number of times i've said I couldn't go quicker only to find the following month I do just that :thumb: ....not that it really matters

Never say never ;)

Gary

Euan
24-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi TC,

Well, yours was one of the nicest 968's I've seen, and it's clearly going like a bat out of hell turning in those times :thumb:

Would be interesting to know where you had your 'moments' if only to be more careful myself ;)

I think the Michelin Pilot Sport Cups have the best reputation for ultimate grip in the dry. I've run Pirelli PZero Corsas in the past, also good.

KW have got an excellent reputation - I know a lot of guys swear by it. Saying that, I've never been out in one, and I'm running MO30 same as you. An experienced Ring racer took my car round the Ring, and he reckoned the back was too soft. Mind you I've been running it round the Ring for 2 and a bit seasons so it's probably getting tired.

Have you thought about losing some weight in the car? Not sure how easy that would be.

Good to know you use JZ - so do I. It must help their knowledge working on vaious cars. I've found them totally excellent.

Euan

951S
24-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by TC17@May 24 2006, 03:00 PM

I bought a KW suspension directly from KW in Germany that was made specially for my car (944 turbo) for driving at the Nordschleife. It is similar to the variant 3 kit, but with a different settings for the springs and shocks.

I am very disappointed with it. The car is oversteering badly. I am 30 sec slower now than I was with my old suspension...

Mikjel

Euan
25-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 951S+May 24 2006, 10:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (951S @ May 24 2006, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TC17@May 24 2006, 03:00 PM

I bought a KW suspension directly from KW in Germany that was made specially for my car (944 turbo) for driving at the Nordschleife. It is similar to the variant 3 kit, but with a different settings for the springs and shocks.

I am very disappointed with it. The car is oversteering badly. I am 30 sec slower now than I was with my old suspension...

Mikjel [/b][/quote]
Sorry to hear that Mikjel - any solution on the horizon?

Euan

951S
26-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Euan+May 25 2006, 05:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Euan &#064; May 25 2006, 05:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by 951S@May 24 2006, 10:12 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TC17@May 24 2006, 03:00 PM

Mikjel
Sorry to hear that Mikjel - any solution on the horizon?

Euan[/b][/quote]
I am e-mailing with KW now. I guess I have to try stiffer springs in the front or softer in the rear.

leavingeasy
29-05-2006, 09:00 PM
What ARB&#39;s do you have?

Have you tried softening the rear a bit?

951S
30-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by leavingeasy@May 29 2006, 09:00 PM

I have the 968cs m030. (30 mm front and 19 mm 3-way-adjutable rear).

I have tried to soften the rear. I have even tried to take the rear ARB off. Did not help..

Simon
30-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 951S+May 30 2006, 11:26 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (951S @ May 30 2006, 11:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-leavingeasy@May 29 2006, 09:00 PM

I have the 968cs m030. (30 mm front and 19 mm 3-way-adjutable rear).

I have tried to soften the rear. I have even tried to take the rear ARB off. Did not help.. [/b][/quote]
& it still oversteers :o Have you had the wheels alignment set up correctly?

Pooky
30-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by 951S+May 24 2006, 10:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (951S @ May 24 2006, 10:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TC17@May 24 2006, 03:00 PM

Mikjel [/b][/quote]
Have you tried raising the front ride height? Might be set too low in comparison to the rear. If the 968 runs a McPherson front then they are very sensitive to ride height.

951S
30-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Yes, the wheels alignment is correct. Checked and checked again.

Raising the front could help a bit, but it will not make a big difference. I have to do something that will make a big difference, it is not driveable now.

Pooky
31-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Depends how much you raise it...10mm will make quite a difference as the front roll centre will go up about 25mm (2.5 times as much on McPherson). Had a friend who recently lowered the front of his M3 15mm to try and fix what he thought was an aero problem and it turned it into an undriveable oversteering monster. He raised the front back up...