PDA

View Full Version : Aug 1-3 quick summary

tertius
05-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Just a quick recap on the trip last weekend.

Usual format for me: fly out on Friday with a mate (Colin); collect cheapest possible hire car from the airport (Frankfurt) then rent from rent-racecar.de; fly back Sunday night.

This time we'd arranged to be there at the same time as a group I'd met last year (Phil, Kim, Damian, Jase, Jase's dad, Nick, Sid, Alex) and stayed in the same lovely hotel about 20kms from the circuit.

We arrived at the circuit in time for the Friday evening TF. However, as we weren't collecting our racecar until Saturday we scrounged a few passenger laps, including a couple in Jase's Mi16 engined 205 - crikey that moves around at the back rather a lot ... ;)

Saturday and Sunday we had the 120i from Theo and Heide - really a cracking car, very forgiving, hangs on brilliantly and stops and goes perfectly adequately for novices like us. Great service as ever from Theo and Heide including a complete new set of pads overnight on Saturday - I really recommend them.

Had a really solid two days of lapping: I managed 22 laps and Colin 25 plus some brilliant passenger laps, including my first ever experience of a Boxster which I have to say blew me away with its composure and overall ability (and that's coming from a 911 owner ...). Also Nick overtook a GT3 and a GT2 so the Boxster is obviously the Q car of the Porsche range ;)

Overall I was quite surprised by how quiet the circuit was. In particular the early mornings were fantastic, but even through the day it was never busy. I only had one poor experience stuck behind a Brit plated A3 that simply would not let me past for about 2/3 of a lap. Well it would pull over on the straights and then put its foot down and I hadn't enough power to outrun it, but was much quicker in the corners. Even the car park wasn't as bad as the previous trip in May.

Spotted Nige (well his car really) late on Sunday so stopped by to introduce myself before we headed off to catch our flight back. Good to put at least one face to a name.

48 laps meant we had a quite large bill for excess km'age but I still think the rent-racecar option is good value.

I had a strange feeling at the end of the trip that I was ring'd out, certainly I have no strong desire to return though perhaps that will change in a month or two.

Nige
07-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Good to meet you, if only briefly ! :thumb:

tertius
08-08-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Nige@Aug 7 2008, 02:59 PM
Good to meet you, if only briefly ! :thumb:
Likewise ... :D

Teejay
09-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by tertius@Aug 5 2008, 07:34 PM
...I only had one poor experience stuck behind a Brit plated A3 that simply would not let me past for about 2/3 of a lap. Well it would pull over on the straights and then put its foot down and I hadn't enough power to outrun it, but was much quicker in the corners.

Hope that wasn't me. I was unaware of having anything 'stuck' behind me except for a Mk2 Golf, which I 'tussled' with for most of the second half of the circuit. Cheeky sod was using my slip stream up the hills - guess he was jealous of the TDi's torque.

Wasn't a yellow A3 was it?

Theo325
09-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Teejay@Aug 9 2008, 05:35 PM

Hope that wasn't me. I was unaware of having anything 'stuck' behind me except for a Mk2 Golf, which I 'tussled' with for most of the second half of the circuit. Cheeky sod was using my slip stream up the hills - guess he was jealous of the TDi's torque.

Wasn't a yellow A3 was it?
Silver car? English plates?

He was a complete tosser.

tertius
09-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Theo325+Aug 9 2008, 06:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Theo325 &#064; Aug 9 2008, 06:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Teejay@Aug 9 2008, 05:35 PM

Hope that wasn&#39;t me. I was unaware of having anything &#39;stuck&#39; behind me except for a Mk2 Golf, which I &#39;tussled&#39; with for most of the second half of the circuit. Cheeky sod was using my slip stream up the hills - guess he was jealous of the TDi&#39;s torque.

Wasn&#39;t a yellow A3 was it?
Silver car? English plates?

He was a complete tosser.[/b][/quote]
That&#39;s the one.