PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in the M3

chilled
28-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Here's how not to do the first lap of the NS in a year, in a car that's 5 weeks old to you, standard, and you've only done 1 track day in:

Nail it out of the cones, only really taking it easy through flugplatz, take a bike under brakes into Aremberg (he let me past) then realise that you're going to hold them up through foxhole so nail it through there at 140, dab the brakes for the first left hander and spin 90 degrees, think you're heading for the Arnco, but with a combination of luck and skill, keep it completely on the tarmac in a huge cloud of smoke, and the biker who had been pretty close behind, manages to avoid me too :whistle: :jerk:

hadn't stalled but had come to a standstill, set off before someone piles into me and tootle off for a slightly more relaxed lap.

Other than that had a completely incident free weekend, fantastic weather mostly and got 26 laps in.

The M3, once you get used to the weight, is a phenomenal piece of kit. I've had a look at datalog traces of a lap versus Juango's '17 and considering the weight and tyre differences it really shouldn't grip that well. And it was only crappy Conti's on the front.

Now getting 135 up kesselchen vs 120 in my old S2000 but only 145 vs 140 before schwedenkreuz. The weight isn't giving me the confidence to carry enough speed through flugplatz.

Still, Steve showed me how it should be done :thumb:

Met loads of you guys, can't remember all your names sorry, but got pax laps with Juango, Nige, Steve and a 911 Turbo and I'm annoyed I can't remember his name. Nice chap though.

A thoroughly good weekend. Need to be back there now though :(

Oh, and I don't think I need to delimit the M3. I managed 168mph on the way back. There's a vicious rumour that it was in Belgium, not Germany, but that's a lie! 269kph GPS confirmed :D

Jim Cameron
28-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Good stuff :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
29-07-2008, 06:21 AM
This thread needs pictures ;)

Simon
29-07-2008, 07:45 AM
E46 yes? Have you done anything to it to help with the set up as mine understeers atm and the nose really pushes wide under power. Going to get a geo set up soon to see if that helps.

chilled
29-07-2008, 09:01 AM
I think a few people have pics and I'm just sorting getting some from Jochen so I'll post em soon. He got a couple of really good ones. I took about 3 pics all weekend. Too busy driving :D

With regards to the understeer, I had Conti's on the front and PS2's on the back and the only mod is the CS wheels. I can get power oversteer and speed oversteer if necessary. Although it can seem counter-intuitive, a slightly slower entrance speed can be the faster way around the corner. Also, a touch of trail braking seems to help, I realised I was doing it without thinking about it.

Tony
29-07-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Simon@Jul 29 2008, 08:45 AM
E46 yes? Have you done anything to it to help with the set up as mine understeers atm and the nose really pushes wide under power. Going to get a geo set up soon to see if that helps.
Geo check and decent tyres on the front....... the M5 was doing the same until I got rid of the crappy front tyres - even though they were almost new - and put T1Rs on. :thumb:

Floyd
29-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Tony@Jul 29 2008, 12:22 PM
Geo check and decent tyres on the front....... the M5 was doing the same until I got rid of the crappy front tyres - even though they were almost new - and put T1Rs on. :thumb:
T1R's :lol: :lol: :lol: Really? :huh: ;)

Tony
29-07-2008, 11:39 AM
I swear by them...... besides they don't do R888s in my size or that grip in the wet :whistle: :P

Floyd
29-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I swear at them ;) Aren't you a size 12? :whistle:

Tony
29-07-2008, 11:46 AM
:loser: :lol:

Nige
29-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@Jul 29 2008, 07:21 AM
This thread needs pictures ;)
MY report has pictures :smug:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b207/wh00sher/summer%202008/_DSC6449-editedCopy.jpg

Steve Gill
29-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Nice to see this thread keeping on track... :P

Great to meet you Mark, you pedal that car amazingly well, and looking forward to some more convoy laps in the future :thumb:

If I could peddle a standard M3 round like you do I'd be a happy man :thumb:

chilled
29-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Aw shucks. :shame:

You're not exactly a slouch Steve. And the noise from within your car is incredible. Great to meet you to :thumb:

I'm going to take you up on the convoy laps at some point. There's a vague chance that I might stay with you for a short while if I'm running Cups. only a vague chance mind.

Nige, that's a great pic, any chance of the full res version? Looks like my new desktop.

Dino
29-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by chilled@Jul 28 2008, 08:12 PM
Nail it out of the cones, only really taking it easy through flugplatz, take a bike under brakes into Aremberg (he let me past) then realise that you're going to hold them up through foxhole so nail it through there at 140, dab the brakes for the first left hander and spin 90 degrees, think you're heading for the Arnco, but with a combination of luck and skill, keep it completely on the tarmac in a huge cloud of smoke, and the biker who had been pretty close behind, manages to avoid me too :whistle: :jerk:

hadn't stalled but had come to a standstill, set off before someone piles into me and tootle off for a slightly more relaxed lap.

Sounds like you had a lucky escape!

I had a similar moment at Fox Hole at 140mph but thankfully I managed not to break traction but it was scary nonetheless.

Mines not an e46 but an e36 M3 (3.2) but with proper suspension (Bilstein PSS9s and some camber)

I think your understeer issue is more than likely the Contis as per previous comments. Get some PS2s up the front too, check the geometry and normal service will be resumed :thumb:

chilled
29-07-2008, 12:54 PM
The understeer didn't bother me. And besides, I'll be sticking Cups on for my next trip.

chilled
30-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Foraged photos :D

http://www.nordschleifenbilder.de/go/albums/uploads/nordschleife/autos/2008-07-27/IMG_6383_E.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3067/2714632590_7890018233.jpg

Simon
30-07-2008, 02:23 PM
I have Conti's all round so maybe that is it. Nearly new so not going to be changed for a while. I intend to get the geo set up before long. Hopefully that will improve it.

Couple of nice pictures of you & the car there :thumb:

chilled
30-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Cheers mate, I intend on dumping the contis asap. They're ok, but no pointing in skimping on the only thing keeping you on the black stuff. It's what the car came with when bought though.

Another foraged image :D

http://www.eykensfotografie.nl/porta%20albums/ring080726/medium/0115.jpg

Trevor
30-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Saw you out and about at the weekend. Seemed to be getting a move on. Nice images. Glad you avoided the armco.

I used T1R's for a bit but put on some Cups at the weekend. WOW.
Talk to Dale at RSR and see if he can get you a deal on your size (12?).

See you over there in the future.

Das Chin
31-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by chilled@Jul 29 2008, 12:26 PM
Aw shucks. :shame:

You're not exactly a slouch Steve. And the noise from within your car is incredible. Great to meet you to :thumb:

I'm going to take you up on the convoy laps at some point. There's a vague chance that I might stay with you for a short while if I'm running Cups. only a vague chance mind.

Nige, that's a great pic, any chance of the full res version? Looks like my new desktop.
whey hey. a bit of BM man love going on there. keep it up chaps.

welcome chilled and hope to see you over there in my straight sixer soon.