PDA

View Full Version : Tin pot kart track visit.

Andy C
20-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Went to a tin pot, roundy roundy kart track on Friday, enjoyed it a lot. Which is odd, because consensus from the bar that night amongst us most-difficult-tra-blah-blah-snobs reckoned it would be completly rubbish.

My protests of thier being no such thing as a bad race track fell on deaf ears :rolleyes:

So Zolder. It's super easy to learn, having never clapped eyes on the place it took 2 laps to know where it went roughly, 3 to be sure. Did this steady enough as it was fairly soggy, and I'd borrowed the QE2 for the day. Did get a good scare when some oik passed me with 2 inches to spare on the steady out laps - this may fall into the catagory of getting my just deserts :whistle:

Anyway first stint, completed, tyres (fitted night before) scrubbed nicely, and brakes comprehensively overheated. ZX9 brakes are rubbish, even after fitting a new master cylinder, new pads, dot 5, braided lines and regular fliud changes. Lever was coming back to the bar and having to do this 25m early to get the thing to stop, did manage to get a decent lever eventually but span was a little big.

The main reason for the brake problems is the track. In has 4 fourth gear to slow braking zones, and one 3rd to slow. These chicanes must has arisen due to land constraints. Zolder appears to have been built in someones back yard. Now having no knowledge of the place I was expecting somewhere fairly open, it being a 'short circuit' - nothing could be more from the truth. I felt right at home whistling past steel barriers and concrete walls placed at arms length, or less. There are gravel traps, but think childs sand pit rather than Uncini beaches. And to get the length of pit, the gravel is right upto the track. Donington it is not. Does make it easy for braking markers though.

Normally UK track days run 3 groups and 20 minute sessions, 1 hour for lunch. Speer Racing do 4 groups, a short lunch and run an hour longer, so track time is still good. Whats funny though is the nomenclature. However you want to dress it up, it oils down to slow, medium and fast. The marketting men must have been in here though because we had middle, fast and very fast. Oh and wobbler-school as the 4th group.

As usual the paddock dripped with carbon fibre go faster wossnames. I did feel out my depth for the damp unknown track. Pondering the less than respected road Metzeler's, been placed in the 'very fast' group, and all to the drone of everyone elses tyre warmer/generator combo toasting nicely. Well would you Adam and Eve it, they all bar one went backwards :smug: In fact :smug: :smug: . And a :wave: Made all the better because for anyone that know's Ross' bike, well lets just say that if some benevolent soul threw it to the bottom of Maria Laak, they be doing Ross a favour in the long run.

So this was the run of things. Get sneered at for scruffy bike, dust them, complain about brakes and sore feet, drink free coffee, oh and fix Sid's bike. He got knocked back by the consistently inconsistent noise police. Thankfully he had a complete stock exhaust sytem with him, which they moaned about too. Odd.

Now a small apology to Dave. He loaned me his GSXR for one proper fat session. The plan was to swop to my number so that when the anticipated track ban arrived ( I was using a few more revs than Dave) I would get the bollocking, but a quick switch back to his number would mean he could complete his last session. We forgot the number switch and Dave missed his last session. Sorry.

So Zolder, easy to get to, whether on the way to or from the Ring. [it's 30km north of Leige, head for Antwerp on E313, turn on next mway jcn toward Cologne and see the signs from the 'motorway'] It's great for spectating too

A little look at what it feels like at a decent pace... not me riding though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhTATMZWo-c

Well recommended.

Andy.

Nige
20-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Andy Carlile@Jul 20 2008, 01:50 PM
but a quick switch back to his number would mean he could complete his last session. We forgot the number switch and Dave missed his last session. Sorry.
oops :whistle:

Good write up Andy, no photos ??

Where did you get a list of trackdays at Zolder?

Darren Langeveld
05-08-2008, 12:18 PM
Yeah - where would one start gathering such information?

Weeman
05-08-2008, 04:36 PM
I know a couple of instructors there and I'm suppose to be doing one soon, I can find out foir you if you want chaps??

Floyd
05-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Nice report Andy :D I'm sure they'll be inviting you back any time soon to the Carbonfibre snobbery club after you humiliated them :lol: :thumb:

rossm
06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm just glad he brought my bike back in one piece :lol:

Darren Langeveld
06-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Weeman@Aug 5 2008, 05:36 PM
I know a couple of instructors there and I'm suppose to be doing one soon, I can find out foir you if you want chaps??
Yes please my friend!

Andy C
06-08-2008, 09:46 AM
For the bike days try Speer racing. But not sure how you'd find out about car days.

Simon
06-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by rossm@Aug 6 2008, 09:46 AM
I'm just glad he brought my bike back in one piece :lol:
Probulary safer in his hands tbh, Ross :lol:

Sounds like you had fun, Andy :thumb: