PDA

View Full Version : Hammoc's report 28 April to 2 May

Hammoc
07-05-2006, 12:21 AM
First of all pic are here.........

http://christopherhammond.fotopic.net/c947279.html

and here (3rd post down)

http://s8.invisionfree.com/Northloop/index...opic=1078&st=30 (http://s8.invisionfree.com/Northloop/index.php?showtopic=1078&st=30)

Well it had finally arrived. After months of anticipation and planning the weekend of the Ring trip for Steve and I was finally here. Having both experienced the Ring for the first time last year we were both keen to get back and get some more laps under our belts.

Friday 28 April
By the time lunchtime arrived there was no point in staying at the office any longer my mind clearly wasn't on work. Anyway I'd done some long days earlier in the week......so I made my way home ready for Steve's arrival. Steve was travelling up from Zommmerset to Essex that afternoon ready for an early start the next day. He promptly arrived on his new motorbike and took me out for a spin round the Essex countryside in glorious sunshine. A great start to a Petrol Head weekend.

Saturday 29 April
An early start - 5 am :( Just enough time for the essentials before the taxi arrived to take us to Stansted airport. The airport was soooo busy...combination of a bank holiday weekend and low cost airlines. Great!! Despite being busy everything worked out fine. Our flight to Cologne Bonn airport was on time and soon we were picking up our drive for the weekend.

We had decided that our lack of Ring experience meant that we really didnˇ¦t need something ultra sporty. A reasonably quick, front wheel drive car would be fine. The Audi we got fitted the bill just fine and was to impress us both throughout the weekend.

Whilst travelling from the airport to the Ring I received a text from Clare. A last minute decision meant she, Dave & Hollie (sporting a broken arm) were coming to the Ring for the weekend. This was great news meeting up with them, Gary, Emma and other Northloopers last year had really made our previous Ring trip great.

We arrived in Adenau around 12.00. Knowing the Ring wasn't due to open until 17.30 we had plenty of time to grab lunch and check out the local area again. We started as we meant to go on with a pizza lunch at Christa's. Great value :thumb:

There was some activity on the Ring that afternoon which we later found out was the Castrol Cup. We noted from some viewing at Pflanzgarden what a wide range of entrants there were. Some looked less track prepared than cars seen on Tourist laps. Others were full on track weapons.

17.30 arrived and Steve and I promptly bought a 25 lap ticket. No point in buying 2 tickets with one car! Before we had time to get to the barriers the Ring shut. We were later to discover that Jochen (the superb photographer) had been caught out in his Alfa. We waited and waited for the Ring to reopen as we watched the weather close in. If any laps were to be had they were going to be wet and maybe even snowy :unsure: Finally, the Ring reopened but there was only time for 1 lap before closing time at 19.30. Oh well better luck for tomorrow.

A quick trip back to the Hotel was made before heading off to the Pistenklause to join the crowd that Nevetas had worked hard to pull together across many forums. Before leaving the Hotel another text from Clare arrived. Just as I was replying I heard Dave and Hollie walking up the stairs outside my room. They had just arrived in time to bag a lift from us down to the Pistenklause.

A good night was had by all. It was good to meet the crowd with the usual mixture of Bitburger, Pizza, Pasta and Ring chat.

By 23.00 Hollie was talking sense. It had been a long day and it was time to call it a night bearing in mind the Ring opened at 8.00 the next day :thumb:

Sunday 30 April
Steve and I opted for an early start. This meant missing out on breakfast, much to Emma and G Pug Jnrˇ¦s delight :D We were ready with ticket in hand when the Ring opened at 8.00. Even with our limited experience we knew this was a good time of day to get some good traffic free laps in. The sun was out and the damp patches on the Ring were drying nicely. We did 6 laps back to back swapping drivers between each lap. At the end of those laps the brakes were started to feel a bit spongy. That was our call to give the car and us a rest.

The car park and the Ring were starting to get busy by now. Dave and Gary were spotted. They too had made sure they were at the Ring bright & early to get some nice clear laps in.

The rest of the day was spent getting some more laps in when traffic and weather permitted. It was amazing to see the dramatic changes in the weather that can occur. Warm sunshine and t shirts one minute could become a snow blizzard needing the addition of fleeces, over coats and woolly hats :ph43r:

Throughout the day I managed to bag some pax laps with Dave & Clare in the Clio. I also had a taste of the raw experience of the 205 with Gary. Clare & Hollie also risked some pax laps with me. Clare helped me improve my knowledge of particular bends and the lines to take, while Hollie entertained the spectators and photographers waving from the car with her broken arm !!

The Ring wasn't closed too many times which helped the flow of traffic in the car park. Evidence of a few offs was seen including a UK plated Scoob which we had seen earlier in the day. Generous amounts of gaffer tap were seen being applied before limping away from the car park :(

Pizza lunch at Christa's again, but this time with Gary, Emma, Dave, Clare & Hollie (not too many chips on my plate Mum!! ).

As the afternoon drifted into the evening snow arrived again. An interesting experience I can tell you driving round the Ring in a snow storm! It was soon time to call it a day so we headed back to the Hotel. That evening we tested out the Lindenhoff in Nurburg. A shock break from Pizza meant Steak and Chips was enjoyed. With Bitburgers to wash it down of course :whistle:

Monday 1 May
Another early start, but this time we werenˇ¦t going to miss out on breakfast :D Our timing was great we arrived at the Ring soon after 8.00 and headed straight out for a lap. 4 laps in fact back to back changing drivers between each one. Some good clear laps and we could relax on fitting a few more in throughout the day. By 9.00 it was getting pretty busy.

We did a couple more accompanied by a UK biker, Shaun (sorry didn't get the other name). Shaun is very experienced round the Ring both on 2 and 4 wheels. His tips were great and the speeds he said he could reach on his R1 were amazing :thumb: B)

Whilst the weather was a bit more predictable than on Sunday the Ring did seem to be interrupted by many more closures than the day before. Each time it closed the car park was quickly full of chat about what "incident" had happened. One such time we had just completed a lap to return to the car park to find the Ring had closed. A tale of a bike and car coming together quickly emerged. Early in the lap that we had just completed we came close to colliding with a UK plated Hiyabusa at T13, who despite indicating right decided to cut across the front of us as we turned in. We started to wonder if this was the same bike now causing the closure. Sure enough some time later the ADAC recovery truck returned to the car park laden with a now bent Hiyabusa. Oh dear ˇV it seems a 200mph Superbike & lack of Ring experience don't mix :(

A tale of a later closure involved a crashed bike and the Zakspeed Viper. We later came to find out the incident almost included Clare & Dave in the Clio. Some quick reactions from Clare at the wheel (and a big brown trouser moment for them both) meant no lasting damage. A very lucky escape!

Dave, Clare & Hollie headed back to Blighty mid afternoon. With no plans for the evening we were more than happy to accept Gary & Emma's invite to sample Chinese food Germanic style. We joined them plus Karl and family for a great night in Adenau. Karl blended into the crowd as ever with loud announcements to everyone in the restaurant who was listening such as "There are several Germans starring at me". Many thanks also to Karl and family for their hospitality. After watching some "classic" Ring footage it was time to head back to the Hotel.

Tuesday 2 May
With the flight back to Stansted at 14.25 there was enough time for a lie in, breakfast (!!) and a leisurely drive back to the airport.

The German Wings flight left on time and arrived at Stansted 15 minutes early. Low cost airlines German style!! With the 1 hour time difference clawed back we were home by 15.30 bringing to an end a great weekend.

Many thanks to all the North loopers and all the other people we met who helped make the weekend great. Hope to meet up with you again soon.

Now I just need to work out when I can next fit in another Ring trip.

Chris

Simon
07-05-2006, 06:47 AM
Great report there Chris & some nice pics :thumb: . I sooooooo need to get there asap as reading all these reports is giving me major withdrawal :(

Simon

Gary Kinghorn
07-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Good stuff fella, nice to see you again.

Gary

Root admin
07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Very amusing Chris and summed up the weekend well. :thumb:

All of us are so pleased we made the effort. We've had a fix so don't feel so bad when other people talk about it now.

Can't wait to get back!

Hammoc
07-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@May 7 2006, 08:18 AM
Good stuff fella, nice to see you again.

Gary
You too :thumb:

Hammoc
07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Clarebabes@May 7 2006, 09:57 AM
Very amusing Chris and summed up the weekend well. :thumb:

All of us are so pleased we made the effort. We've had a fix so don't feel so bad when other people talk about it now.

Can't wait to get back!
Same here :D

Root admin
07-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Chris, slightly OT, but did you get my email? It's about tax.... LOL

Hammoc
07-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Clarebabes@May 7 2006, 01:42 PM
Chris, slightly OT, but did you get my email? It's about tax.... LOL
Just checked personal emails for first time in ages. Now replied. Hope it helps. ;)

Karl
08-05-2006, 07:53 AM
I must stop speaking to strange Germans :whistle:

"In the Navy" la la la la la la la :lol: :lol: I had beer flowing out of my nose :lol: :lol:

Entertaining write up :thumb:

Gary Kinghorn
08-05-2006, 07:58 AM
That was a funny episode ............ ''Do you spend a lot of time down below? or are you ontop?''

:lol:

cockneyjanner
08-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Great report Chris! I can't really add anything to that......

Apart from saying that it was great to see you all again. Many thanks for making us feel so welcome and for your hospitality ;)

I'm looking forward to next time already.

Must dash, it's my turn in the barrel :(

Root admin
08-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Steve, didn't you already have a username? ;)

Glad you enjoyed it! We all did...

cockneyjanner
08-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Hi Clare, I did have a user name but it seems to have re-set the number of posts.

Steve

Gary Kinghorn
08-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Pipe him on-board ........ :thumb:

Karl Rowntree
08-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Good report Chris, and some great pictures of my car there mate ;) (I was in the red Nova by the way) Didnt realise you used this site, good to put faces to names..

Going to find time this week to put up a report myself, i ended up having a very intresting trip at times.

Look forward to meeting you again, and bring on the next trip in 2 weeks :blink:

Karl

Hammoc
09-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Clarebabes@May 8 2006, 10:56 AM
Steve, didn't you already have a username? ;)

I thought he had 'Ferdi' as a username?? As in....Mr Porsche ;)

Chris

Hammoc
09-05-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Karl Rowntree@May 8 2006, 05:53 PM
Good report Chris, and some great pictures of my car there mate ;) (I was in the red Nova by the way) Didnt realise you used this site, good to put faces to names..

Going to find time this week to put up a report myself, i ended up having a very intresting trip at times.

Look forward to meeting you again, and bring on the next trip in 2 weeks :blink:

Karl
Hi Karl

It was good to meet you also. I was hoping to bag a pax lap with you, but your passenger seat also seemed to be full :(

Look fwd to reading your report and hearing about the 'interesting' bits :o

Hope to meet you again on a future trip.

BTW - That is a very tidy Nova you've got :thumb:

Chris

Root admin
09-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Hammoc+May 9 2006, 09:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Hammoc @ May 9 2006, 09:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Clarebabes@May 8 2006, 10:56 AM
Steve, didn&#39;t you already have a username? ;)

I thought he had &#39;Ferdi&#39; as a username?? As in....Mr Porsche ;)

Chris [/b][/quote]
Yes, he did. Confused about the post count thing he said&#33;

Hammoc
10-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Clarebabes@May 9 2006, 11:16 AM

Yes, he did. Confused about the post count thing he said&#33;

So am I. Perhaps he is confusing Northloop with another forum <_<

ferdi
17-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Okay, okay - so I&#39;m getting a bit senile.

You&#39;re right, I was mixing things up with another forum.

Thanks for that&#33;

B)

Hammoc
17-05-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by ferdi@May 17 2006, 09:22 AM
Okay, okay - so I&#39;m getting a bit senile.

You&#39;re right, I was mixing things up with another forum.

Thanks for that&#33;

B)
Yup but still only a Nloop novice ;) I know my post count shows I don&#39;t spend all my life on here, but yours must mean you are out test riding motorbikes a lot more than you are wasting time on here :D

Now we must fix a date for our next Ring fix :thumb:

Chris

DAN THE MAN
18-05-2006, 06:41 AM
nice write up :thumb: