PDA

View Full Version : Ring Trip 26-30 June



c_w
03-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Just got back from a 4 day trip to the Nurburgring - I've been in the M Coupe before not long after I bought it in 2006 but I didn't do many laps as the car wasn't that great on track due to many things (brakes were shocking, suspension felt too soft, tyres were felt rubbish etc) but this time it was superb thanks to faultless brakes, stiffer suspension (mainly body roll via H&R bars) and I think the slightly shorter diff helped the car feel more suited to the track too.

I went with a few friends, probably around 20 of us that I knew but travelled in smaller groups and met up at the Ring.

I got some footage, and did 19 laps - could have done more but it was closed more than it was open on Sunday due to accidents. I still felt I had plenty of track time though.

http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/galerie/photopath/2008/touri/20080628a/20080628touri0162.JPG

Some of my best laps were driving with mates in various cars (M3, VX220 Turbo, Golf R32, 306 track car) driving at a quick pace quite close together. One of the best laps was coming out behind the V10 M5 Ring Taxi, my mate in the 306 GTi6 (standard engine but track prepped) tucked in behind it after the first fast section and a big-winged 996 variant was behind him and I was behind the 911. Due to lower power we left the 306 on the next fast section (it will still lap mid 8minutes though) leaving myself and the 911 hassling the M5 the 911 got past and then I got some close footage from my cam of the Ring Taxi drifting out on some of the slower corners.

http://moto-pics.de/galerie/photos/196/20080629/20080629_0470.jpg

http://moto-pics.de/galerie/photos/196/20080629/20080629_0905.jpg

http://moto-pics.de/galerie/photos/196/20080629/20080629_0890.jpg

http://images.mw-sportfoto.de/galerie/photopath/2008/touri/20080629a/20080629touri0284.JPG

I was really happy with the performance of my car, the tyres went off towards the end of the lap but the car was still manageable - still suffering understeer but have tried to counter it with power. I never got a super clear lap but one of my faster laps was around 8m26.

Youtube Videos

Following M3 EVO, Golf R32 and VX220 Turbo;
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R902Ft9-8rY

This is my quickest lap, half following the M5 Ring Taxi, was fairly clear apart from slowing down for an incident;
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p0ef133l4nc

brinks
06-07-2008, 03:03 PM
I saw you lapping on the Sunday while spectating as my car broke down with an electrical fault on the Saturday morning. Some very tidy driving there :veryhappy:

Anyway, here's the only shot I managed to get of you. Not as sharp as the pro shots but not bad for a little Lumix compact cam.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2630147109_1b9429fb77_o.jpg

Gary Kinghorn
06-07-2008, 06:32 PM
That first picture is a cracker, hope you bought it :thumb:

tony_d
06-07-2008, 08:46 PM
loving the sound in the vid.

c_w
06-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by brinks@Jul 6 2008, 03:03 PM
I saw you lapping on the Sunday while spectating as my car broke down with an electrical fault on the Saturday morning. Some very tidy driving there :veryhappy:

Anyway, here's the only shot I managed to get of you. Not as sharp as the pro shots but not bad for a little Lumix compact cam.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3040/2630147109_1b9429fb77_o.jpg
Wow! thanks, that's a fantastic angle!! my car looks really good there B)

c_w
06-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Gary Kinghorn@Jul 6 2008, 06:32 PM
That first picture is a cracker, hope you bought it :thumb:
Yea that is a good photo! do you know offhand how much would it cost?

Gary Kinghorn
07-07-2008, 06:16 AM
Marc is a member on here and regularly puts his pics in the Northloop shop / photos for sale section :thumb:



He's a nice guy, send him a pm and he will sort you out. It wont cost you much and I reckon it will be worth it :thumb: His user name is mw-sportfoto.de

A bit of help with pricing
http://www.mw-sportfoto.de/en/?album=207

Simon
07-07-2008, 07:17 AM
Nice car & some excellent pictures :thumb: Sounds like you had a cracking weekend B)

Das Chin
07-07-2008, 07:33 AM
very nice car that.

does it have a different intake there chap? sounds very good on the intake like a CSL :thumb:

what tyres are you running just out of interest? pilot cups or 888s or V70a?

cheers, DC

c_w
07-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Das Chin@Jul 7 2008, 07:33 AM
very nice car that.

does it have a different intake there chap? sounds very good on the intake like a CSL :thumb:

what tyres are you running just out of interest? pilot cups or 888s or V70a?

cheers, DC

Thanks! The intake is standard though, but the mic is right by the airbox intake - for some reason the microphone isn't very sensitive and doesn't pick up much at all so have to put it somewhere that gets loud on full throttle! :D

Tyres are Goodyear F1s (the newer Asymmetric type), they seemed ok but started to go "off" about 2/3rds of the way round particularly on Sunday when the weather was pretty hot but they seemed quite predictable. I'd like to try something like 888s though!!

Nige
07-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Sounds like you had a good trip.

As Gary said, that 1st pic is a cracker :thumb:

texas2201
07-07-2008, 10:46 PM
cw me and some friends were there as well - Uwe in a gloss black E30 M3 was followed by you for a lap and wondered if you had any video of you following him E848 ***

cheers

Martin

I was also in a E30 M3 in Black but I dont think we were ever on track together - got 32 laps in over the weekend

Going back out at the end of the month :-)

UweM3
08-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by texas2201@Jul 7 2008, 10:46 PM
cw me and some friends were there as well - Uwe in a gloss black E30 M3 was followed by you for a lap and wondered if you had any video of you following him E848 ***

cheers

Martin

I was also in a E30 M3 in Black but I dont think we were ever on track together - got 32 laps in over the weekend

Going back out at the end of the month :-)
already asked Martin, but recorder wasn't working when I had a glory moment :angry:
Shame really, we had a lot of fun and good driving that lap. There was hardly anything keeping up with us.

c_w
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Yep I think that lap must have been Saturday morning? I did two laps together with the camera switched off when I thought it was on! Pity cos it was a good lap and I think the other lap I did was following a Z4M Coupe for a bit to and I really wanted to watch that too!

There might be other E30 M3s in my footage (one French plated and another with an Irish private plate I think).

UweM3
08-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by c_w@Jul 8 2008, 01:02 PM
Yep I think that lap must have been Saturday morning? I did two laps together with the camera switched off when I thought it was on! Pity cos it was a good lap and I think the other lap I did was following a Z4M Coupe for a bit to and I really wanted to watch that too!

There might be other E30 M3s in my footage (one French plated and another with an Irish private plate I think).
That's the reason I can't be bothered anymore. Is it switched on? Is there enough tape left? Is it charged? Is dirt on the lens? (yes that can ruin a good vid!)
I had a brilliant lap behind a porker last year (with the cam still fitted) and was grinning from ear to ear. Till I found out that I had run out of tape....

I have replaced the cam with a GPS Datalogger. Now that is interessting! Took a passenger out last trip. "your speedo is a bit fast, isn't it?" Erm, no I have checked it with the GPS.....

bimmer
08-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by UweM3+Jul 8 2008, 03:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (UweM3 &#064; Jul 8 2008, 03:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-c_w@Jul 8 2008, 01:02 PM
Yep I think that lap must have been Saturday morning? I did two laps together with the camera switched off when I thought it was on&#33; Pity cos it was a good lap and I think the other lap I did was following a Z4M Coupe for a bit to and I really wanted to watch that too&#33;

There might be other E30 M3s in my footage (one French plated and another with an Irish private plate I think).
That&#39;s the reason I can&#39;t be bothered anymore. Is it switched on? Is there enough tape left? Is it charged? Is dirt on the lens? (yes that can ruin a good vid&#33;)
I had a brilliant lap behind a porker last year (with the cam still fitted) and was grinning from ear to ear. Till I found out that I had run out of tape....

I have replaced the cam with a GPS Datalogger. Now that is interessting&#33; Took a passenger out last trip. "your speedo is a bit fast, isn&#39;t it?" Erm, no I have checked it with the GPS.....[/b][/quote]
Tape?&#33;?&#33;?&#33; :lol:

CF based recorder with 12v power supply from the car :thumb:

8gb card will hold alot of laps ;)

UweM3
11-07-2008, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by bimmer+Jul 8 2008, 03:50 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bimmer @ Jul 8 2008, 03:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by UweM3@Jul 8 2008, 03:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-c_w@Jul 8 2008, 01:02 PM
Yep I think that lap must have been Saturday morning? I did two laps together with the camera switched off when I thought it was on&#33; Pity cos it was a good lap and I think the other lap I did was following a Z4M Coupe for a bit to and I really wanted to watch that too&#33;

There might be other E30 M3s in my footage (one French plated and another with an Irish private plate I think).
That&#39;s the reason I can&#39;t be bothered anymore. Is it switched on? Is there enough tape left? Is it charged? Is dirt on the lens? (yes that can ruin a good vid&#33;)
I had a brilliant lap behind a porker last year (with the cam still fitted) and was grinning from ear to ear. Till I found out that I had run out of tape....

I have replaced the cam with a GPS Datalogger. Now that is interessting&#33; Took a passenger out last trip. "your speedo is a bit fast, isn&#39;t it?" Erm, no I have checked it with the GPS.....
Tape?&#33;?&#33;?&#33; :lol:

CF based recorder with 12v power supply from the car :thumb:

8gb card will hold alot of laps ;) [/b][/quote]
why tape? easy to answer, because I already have a camcorder.
I can&#39;t justify to spend 500+ on a in car video system, I rather fill the car up for the money and drive.

I have another cheap HD recorder(which switches off over hard bumps) and a SD card recorder which hasn&#39;t got the picture quality of the chase cam you have. You get what you pay for in the end. The chase cam is for sure the best application one can have, but I can&#39;t see me spending so much money just to show others how bad I drive (or they :D )

texas2201
09-08-2008, 07:02 PM
cw my car has a Nth Ire plate MUI 2382 is that the one in your vid?