PDA

View Full Version : The Ring - My favorite Golf resort

Cheburator
20-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Got back from the Ring on Tuesday morning, following a very eventful trip.

Friday was written off in terms of driving as it was spent putting new copper brake lines on the Golf at Edgar's garage. What I thought would take 2 hours, took the whole day as I had to change 4 lines. The original solid lines were OK, but the unions were seized and thus making the switch over to SS Goodrich ones impossible. Anyway, I swore, used a hacksaw etc, prayed to the Gods of Wolfsburg and finally got the job done. Did 4 laps on Friday evening, which confirmed my view that SS Goodrich lines and ATE Super Blue fluid do wonders for pedal feel and stopping power.

Saturday was an early-ish start. Got a few laps in and started to push on a bit. The car was performing well - pulled 110mph indicated through Keselchen. but the brand new Toyo Proxes T1S were troubling me.

You see, I like my suspension to be very stiff, which worked well with the Kumho 711, but the Toyos were a bit on the soft side. This was not very encouraging on the approach to SX at 120mph when the sideways flex was becoming very noticeable...

Played a bit with tyre pressures and things began to improve. The OEM brake pads and disks (Textar) did really well, so I was a happy chappy... Until I realised that I was getting a bit too much of a grumble from the rear wheel bearings. Twenty minutes later - it was all sorted out with a spanner and some grumbling...

Out on the track - it was actually great. The wet conditions allowed me to mess around in the underpowered car, without any of the really fast boys breathing down my neck. Had an interesting "duel" with two Dutch registered Scoobies, a rental BMW 5-series, a local nutter in a "standard" VW Mk2 GTI 16v and various other stuff.

The Golf was getting better and better by the hour, so Sunday and Monday were great. Met an ex-Formula Ford driver in his 1-series. Did a few laps following him, so it was all very good stuff.

The highlight of the weekend was the back-to-back laps that I did with my mate, the two Golf's chasing each other, as if on a string, 3 yds between the bumpers. The only place where he really dropped off was over the brow of SX where the speedo was pegged at 105mph in the dry and 95mph in the wet. The new smooth kerb makes a MASSIVE difference...

Overall, it was very good. Will definitely come back for more in the Golf, although it could feel a bit underpowered here and there :gaypride:

Cannot wait for the end of May when the Porsche will get its outing :loser:

Gary Kinghorn
20-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the report .........

If you dont mind me saying you seem quite keen on your MPH's in certain sections. Noticed this in a previous post, 100mph up Kesselchen and 135mph to SX and Fuchsrohre.......If you are now pulling 110 up Kesselchen why only 120mph to SX :blink: .....cant get my head round that .....

Gary

Cheburator
20-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Gutmann pug@Apr 20 2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the report .........

If you dont mind me saying you seem quite keen on your MPH's in certain sections. Noticed this in a previous post, 100mph up Kesselchen and 135mph to SX and Fuchsrohre.......If you are now pulling 110 up Kesselchen why only 120mph to SX :blink: .....cant get my head round that .....

Gary
Coz the Toyo's sidewalls are made of Swiss cheese I guess... Approach to QH - car gets to 110 if I get Hocheichen right, then FP is 105 because sometimes I ease off a bit for the first apex, but I can't floor it all the way down to SX as it just doesn't feel right... At 120 it just hops and skips all over the place - generally from left to right. At the same time SX at 100+ feels great. Although, my mate who followed behind me said that the arse of the Golf skipped around a bit at that speed...

The reason I am so keen on the speed in particular places is that I don't time myself and that is a good way to see what progress I am making with the lines, car and the track overall...

HTH,

Alex